Pinkflamingos6 ROTJ Build

I'm happy to say I think I'm done painting this bucket. Just waiting for some dullcote to arrive in the mail to seal everything in.
View attachment 221972
View attachment 221973
I also tried a little experiment for the ears. I like how they look, just not sure on how accurate I can get them. How do you guys do your ears?
View attachment 221974
On the ROTJ ears I have done I’ve used Rustoleum flat dark grey automotive primer over the ears and then used steel wool for the scratches.

On the ROTJ ears I have done I’ve used Rustoleum flat dark grey automotive primer over the ears and then used steel wool for the scratches.
I'll have to play around more and maybe give that a try. I painted mine with a dark gray and used scotch Brite. I'll have to let the paint cure more and try with steel wool.

So...
I was clear coating my helmet, scared as all hell that this would happen, I took all precautions, and still it happened :(

Thankfully it's only a little bit in one area and it's not noticeable from 5 feet, but I definitely want to correct it.

Iron, I know this happened to you on your helmet. How did you fix it? I'm hoping I can lightly sand it without messing up the paint too badly.
20220328_173838.jpg

It actually happened in a few areas but this is by far the worst. I'm going to leave the other areas alone because I actually kind of like the effect.

It happened a little on the ears too but not terrible. Think I'll leave that alone too unless the 501st says otherwise.

I hope it doesn't come down to repainting but Thankfully it's only a little bit and not the whole helmet

Oh man….bummer!

Yeah, for me I chalked it up to being closer than the 10-12 inches away as directed on the spray can, I used “Rustoleum Matte Clear Enamel” I also believe I over did it too. I actually used the same can of sealer but used it as directed. In addition, I also lightly misted it on twice to three times till I had a good amount of it on.

Hadn’t ran into an issue since. I hope you can sand a little of it off and redo without having to totally redo the whole thing.

Like you it kinda grew on me, but I totally know it’s there not to mention inaccurate.

-Iron

I think I'm going to sand it down in that area and spot paint it. Thankfully it's in an area where there isn't too much detail painting.

Some part of me wants to leave it and see if anything happens that would make me repaint it.

I think the looks is fitting for Fett honestly lol

Honestly, it looks dark blue to me. Darker than the pack for sure
View attachment 221949

This is T’s pack

View attachment 221948

Looks dark blue to me. ???
Yup I painted it dark blue, although I can't for the life of me remember what I used exactly. It was another lifetime ago!

Edit: Looked up my own build thread and saw I used Tamiya Sea Blue. Hope this helps!

So...
I was clear coating my helmet, scared as all hell that this would happen, I took all precautions, and still it happened :(

Thankfully it's only a little bit in one area and it's not noticeable from 5 feet, but I definitely want to correct it.

Iron, I know this happened to you on your helmet. How did you fix it? I'm hoping I can lightly sand it without messing up the paint too badly.
View attachment 221989
It actually happened in a few areas but this is by far the worst. I'm going to leave the other areas alone because I actually kind of like the effect.

It happened a little on the ears too but not terrible. Think I'll leave that alone too unless the 501st says otherwise.

I hope it doesn't come down to repainting but Thankfully it's only a little bit and not the whole helmet

I’ve had this happen before. Most of the time it’s because the cure time between coats isn’t long enough.

What I’ve also found, is the mixing of brands between colors/layers/clear coats. It’s hard to avoid Rustoleum, but I find it to be an unreliable product. When I painted my BB8, the orange did the exact same thing if I didn’t let it cure for like 2 weeks.

Best fix is to sand it down and try again :)

Now moving on to finishing up my jetpack...

Got the beacon painted "sea blue" and I think it looks a lot better.
20220330_124434.jpg

Now, is the bottom rim supposed to be painted the same blue as the pack, or left unpainted? I've seen pictures of both.
20220330_124504.jpg

And I I finally got some paint on my rocket
20220330_124529.jpg

Finally, as much as it breaks my heart, I think I'm gonna do it right and repaint the tanks, thrusters, and tank caps white. Not a huge setback but it is what it is lol

Another little update, was able to finally get some green paint on some armor pieces! Still need to weather and do some fine detailing on the damage, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out so far.
View attachment 218232

View attachment 218233
What brand/color of green paint did you use on the armor and cod piece? It looks terrific! I'm in the process of prepping my armor for pant. Just got my paasche compressor and airbrush. I'm trying to come up with a paint list. Holy crap, model master is all but gone! My apologies if you listed it, I'm new and haven't read you're entire post, but everything looks tip-top! Good job!

So I'm currently working on my right gauntlet and added all the damage that's shown in the most recent CRL picture. My main concern is that it still looks too new lol. I know there's several gauntlets for ROTJ and I'm trying for 501st approval. My question is "random" damage on the lower half of the gauntlet acceptable? Or should I try and mix it up between reference pictures?
View attachment 218639
View attachment 218640
View attachment 218641
Here I am again! What color/brand did you use on the gauntlets?! They're perfect!

What brand/color of green paint did you use on the armor and cod piece? It looks terrific! I'm in the process of prepping my armor for pant. Just got my paasche compressor and airbrush. I'm trying to come up with a paint list. Holy crap, model master is all but gone! My apologies if you listed it, I'm new and haven't read you're entire post, but everything looks tip-top! Good job!
Thank you! All of the armor pieces were painted with rustoleum hunt club green. Unfortunately I think it's a hard paint to find these days but I was able to pick some up at my local ace hardware.

For the gauntlets I used rustoleum claret wine. This color is easier to find.

Hope this helps and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Here we go, third time's a charm right?
Got the tanks and thrusters painted up in white again.
20220331_180059.jpg

20220331_180123.jpg

Hoping to have the decals and black striping done up this weekend. Then it's off to the chipping and weathering.

As for the damage on the pack, do you think I can omit the large areas of white where the blue paint chipped off that's visible in the promo shots? I'm not a big fan of it and somebody previously mentioned that it was painted over prior to the shooting of the film.

It's looking like the damage on the pack may be more of a challenge than doing the helmet due to a limited number of references and all the changes made before filming.

Got a little Boba time in while the girlfriend was napping lol got some of the jetpack details painted up and decals put on courtesy of ShortFuse! Great decals man I'm really happy with how they came out!
20220401_190058.jpg

Still debating whether I want to hand paint the black bands on the tanks or mask and airbrush them. I've also seen people use electrical tape and I've been considering that method as well.

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back