Pinkflamingos6 ROTJ Build

Switching gears for a little while. Trying to put together some wookie scalps. I'm following IronGladiator's WIP thread for some "homemade" braids. I think I'm off to a good start so far... I just for the life of me get these knots tied up right. I managed to get this but I'm I'm not thrilled with it. Really would like to get the knots right. I'm no sailor and was never a scout so any tips are much appreciated.
20220405_114105.jpg

20220405_113918.jpg

Oh and I'm using this flat elastic cord for the knots. This may be my first problem but I couldn't find any leather that met the bill so far :(
20220405_113513.jpg

Leather would make for better material. If the knots aren't tight you run the risk of the braids coming apart.

Got my jetpack all misted up with brown, black, and gray before I continue with the silver and white chipping. I'm very happy with how it's coming along. Plan on clear coating to seal all the "dust" in and that'll probably knock down the intensity of the weathering.
20220407_101955.jpg

20220407_101946.jpg
20220407_100917.jpg

Also got the thrusters weathered up as well.
20220407_104516.jpg

I think I may have been a little too heavy handed on the thrusters but I'm hoping some light steel wool and some topical silver damage will make them a little lighter.

Thanks for viewing!

PinkFlamingos6
Looking really good! Keep it up, I like your makeshift "Thruster Holders", I may borrow that idea when it comes time to do my Boba Maker Jetpack! When I did my previous budget Jetpack, as you know I had purchased a 3D print and built it all - permanently - before painting it. Nothing is removable except the little access door on the back. so didn't have a need to use the "Thruster Holders" then.
;)

Looks great! How did you attach the display to the back of the armor plate?
SammySoSo
And just how PinkFlamingos6 explained, that is exactly how I did mine. Clamped it in place and layered the hot glue until I was satisfied. Here we are two years later and having done a handful of troops and still have NOT had an issue with it! It's held up very well.
Iron's Hot Glue Job.jpg

:cool:(y)

-Iron

Last edited:
Hmm hot glue does the trick. I used strong duct tape to ensure easy if needed removal for my electronics.

The jetpack is coming along very nicely!

Currently stumped on the jetpack missile. I know I gotta paint the bottom te same red as the pack, add the black stripe, and mist black over the white but I don't know how I'm gonna do the top part. How do you guys usually do the actual missile part? I've got a good idea, just not 100% on how I want to go about it. Thanks for the help!
20220408_104406.jpg

PinkFlamingos6
I know you're not a super huge fan of liquid masking, but that is how I did mine. I tried to use this on my Coz3D printed Jetpack....
Transparent Red.jpg

Which is Vallejo's Transparent Red (70.934). The idea was to mist it on ever so lightly so the silver underneath would show. Unfortunately for me, it came off as straight up pink. I know it appears more as a faded worn red - so to me, that didn't work. I then followed back up with a couple drops of black added to the Vallejo Transparent Red and came out slightly darker. I was happy with the result, but not 100% happy. I knew it could be better. I haven't touched it since.

For my Boba Maker Jetpack my intention is to use Alclad II's Hot Metal Red (ALC-411)...
1649435464206.png

One photo that kind sold me on the Alclad II stuff was this....
1649435655228.png

That looked pretty close to me with what I was wanting. So I have a bottle here in my arsenal to use. I'm actually at the point where I can start that process too....
Boba Maker JP - Rocket.jpg

Just gotta find the time to do it!

-Iron

Iron,

That's how I ended up painting mine just now. I just used the maroon color to mist over the missile. I took a little bit of artistic freedom on the masking, hopefully it fits the bill in the end.
?hash=8fe7d07b3d3a9c92b599236a8e49a51f.jpg

20220408_130511.jpg

Just gotta go back and add the white scratches to the base and I'm hoping I'm good!
Also got my QDC thruster greeblies glued on!
20220408_111349.jpg

Attachments

• 20220408_130626.jpg
    20220408_130626.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
PinkFlamingos6
Looking really good! Keep it up, I like your makeshift "Thruster Holders", I may borrow that idea when it comes time to do my Boba Maker Jetpack! When I did my previous budget Jetpack, as you know I had purchased a 3D print and built it all - permanently - before painting it. Nothing is removable except the little access door on the back. so didn't have a need to use the "Thruster Holders" then.
;)

SammySoSo
And just how PinkFlamingos6 explained, that is exactly how I did mine. Clamped it in place and layered the hot glue until I was satisfied. Here we are two years and having done a handful of troops and still have NOT had an issue with it! It's held up very well.
View attachment 222319
:cool:(y)

-Iron
What is the red? I'm assuming some kind of red clear plastic? How's it look? I like it!

So I'm hoping that my jetpack body is all done now at this point. Think I'll hold off on a final clear coat for now incase I have to make any adjustments.
What do you guys think? Is it 501st basic approval worthy?
20220410_093620.jpg

20220410_093546.jpg

20220410_093552.jpg

Looking good! I would think it should pass basic. If you wanted to get more detail, you could take some blue and go into the large silver area on the bottom of the center band to help create more individual scratches. It‘s got a very defined line that is sticking out a bit.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back