My RotJ Boba Fett Cosplay (GalaxyCon Columbus 2023)

JiM

Hunter
My first (and probably only) Boba Fett cosplay got a lot of positive attention and pics. Built it all from scratch (and PVC) based on the plans and tricks from this website and a couple others. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Any feedback is welcome…

JiM

Attachments

• IMG_7380.jpeg
    IMG_7380.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 105
These were the original ones I welded from large nails a while back but opted not to use in case they a) were rejected because they look like murder spikes and 2) would do serious damage to the floor or anyone I stubbed my toe into. Looks like I need to make a compromise with an aluminum base and start carrying spares…
IMG_8880.jpeg

JiM
Great job on your Fett - defintely....be proud!

I think you stated once before that your intention wasn't to go 501st. And these are my observations, but you had said any feedback would be welcome. (We all strive to be that better Fett)

1) Looks like your missing an Anti-Security Blade.
2) As cool as it is, it looks like you got a Survival Knife - which isn't ROTJ accurate (either Hero or SE)
3) The ROTJ helmet doesn't have the square black view finder on the Perspex Block.
4) The Collar Studs appear larger than normal in the pics.
5) Left Gauntlet buttons should be black.
6) The Left Gauntlet Rocket tip should have more copper tones in it - looks pretty black.
The above mentioned items I think can be easily addressed and are pretty minor. Also, do you have a Jetpack on? I couldn't tell from the pics - if so, I'd love to see it!

....and I must be the minority here, I've yet to break my toe spikes off since I debuted my Fett in 2020. Coming up on 4 years with no incident. An additionally, I walk normally too. I know a few people have stated they walk a little different or carry a bounce in their step when out trooping so as to avoid any toe spike breakage. Boba's iconic silhouette, I try mimic what this walk may look like (in my mind)....
1701706534417.png

Your spare toe spikes - they do kinda resemble "Murder Spikes". Hahaha! Those shafts do look pretty lengthy. Here are mine, which are metal and I've yet to be denied entry to an event...
1701707459796.png

Looking forward to future shots of you out an about in your Fett!

Best,
-Iron

JiM
Great job on your Fett - defintely....be proud!

I think you stated once before that your intention wasn't to go 501st. And these are my observations, but you had said any feedback would be welcome. (We all strive to be that better Fett)

1) Looks like your missing an Anti-Security Blade.
2) As cool as it is, it looks like you got a Survival Knife - which isn't ROTJ accurate (either Hero or SE)
3) The ROTJ helmet doesn't have the square black view finder on the Perspex Block.
4) The Collar Studs appear larger than normal in the pics.
5) Left Gauntlet buttons should be black.
6) The Left Gauntlet Rocket tip should have more copper tones in it - looks pretty black.
The above mentioned items I think can be easily addressed and are pretty minor. Also, do you have a Jetpack on? I couldn't tell from the pics - if so, I'd love to see it!

....and I must be the minority here, I've yet to break my toe spikes off since I debuted my Fett in 2020. Coming up on 4 years with no incident. An additionally, I walk normally too. I know a few people have stated they walk a little different or carry a bounce in their step when out trooping so as to avoid any toe spike breakage. Boba's iconic silhouette, I try mimic what this walk may look like (in my mind)....
View attachment 239975

Your spare toe spikes - they do kinda resemble "Murder Spikes". Hahaha! Those shafts do look pretty lengthy. Here are mine, which are metal and I've yet to be denied entry to an event...
View attachment 239976

Looking forward to future shots of you out an about in your Fett!

Best,
-Iron
Iron,

Its an honor--I love the stuff you've done on this site and used a lot of what you and a couple other folks for reference.

Its funny you mention the shin tools because I lost one of them like two days before the show--its that one that looks like two squatty bladeless exacto knives electrical taped to a credit card. Completely gone. I thought about making a new one where the credit card bit is removable so I can use it for the room key when I go to the Hyatt after the event (which for anyone who ever goes to one of these, get a hotel NEXT to the convention center! Hugely convenient). My wife has all the good pics so more coming.

I figured I wouldn't be able to get 501st cuz I made some upgrades from the original. For example, the brown ammo belt is velcro'd together in the back vs using ropes and loops. The Girth belt uses non-standard buckles cuz I had to weld my own with an oxy-acetylene torch. The EE3 is missing the little model F-4 phantom wing mount because I didn't want it scraping against my gloves or gauntlets (plus I didn't like them). I used a wig vs horse hair for the wookie scalps cuz I couldn't find any. I am also missing one of the V8 model car pieces on the inside of the buttstock cuz I didn't want it scratching the armor (can't see it anyway). I need to fix the coloring on the guantlet buttons (oops) and remake the toe spikes.

I will say that walking around in that costume at that event was tremendously satisfying. People knew who I was (unlike when I dressed as Hicks and most people had no Idea who I was--freaking kids). Anyway, I got a lot of pics and a lot of stares and hushed tones. I so wanted to just walk up to a stranger in the bar and just stare at him like "I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold". Lady in the elevator felt intimidated (she told my wife (aka, handler and fixer of right arm tubes--those things suck!). Kids got scared. I would so do that again!

Posting more pics soon. Also, yes, did have a jetpack on but the backplate was riding high on my shoulders--probably because I am about 4 inches wider around the waste than I was when I originally made the backplate over a year ago (took me about 2 years to hand make everything, including casting my own shoe molds (lasts) and sewing my own gloves (I was terrified to weather both of them). I didn't see many tutorials on the site for making that sort of stuff, but then maybe I didn't look hard enough or know how to use the search algorithm. Anyway, more to come if an when the wife shares the damned pics with me...

JiM
I totally know what you mean by the stares, finger pointing, jaw drops, etc. I will say it is even better when you can walk up to someone or another cosplayer and actually speak to them (Love my MiCom). It sucks MiCom no longer is making them. When I had my pic taken with the Night Owl Trio this year, I walked up to and pointed right at Mercedes Varnado (Koska Reeves) and said "Well look who it is, Jabba was just asking about you. He'll be surprised to hear you're in...one piece". Both Katee and Simon (and Mercedes) jaws dropped and then busted out laughing.
:cool: (y)

Of those two Shin Tools that the ROTJ Fett has is the....
1701734828838.png

The one you lost is the "Anti-Security Blade". Still amazes me that you more or less built this from scratch though, seriously - well done!

And to get Paula's approval. Nicely done! I don't suppose there was a chance of you attempting to put the moves on Paula was there? Kinda like we see Boba do in ROTJ? (with his Pre-Sail Barge Battle Damaged Jet Pack)
1701736010127.png

Boba Flirts.gif

-Iron

JiM
I totally know what you mean by the stares, finger pointing, jaw drops, etc. I will say it is even better when you can walk up to someone or another cosplayer and actually speak to them (Love my MiCom). It sucks MiCom no longer is making them. When I had my pic taken with the Night Owl Trio this year, I walked up to and pointed right at Mercedes Varnado (Koska Reeves) and said "Well look who it is, Jabba was just asking about you. He'll be surprised to hear you're in...one piece". Both Katee and Simon (and Mercedes) jaws dropped and then busted out laughing.
:cool: (y)

Of those two Shin Tools that the ROTJ Fett has is the....
View attachment 240003
The one you lost is the "Anti-Security Blade". Still amazes me that you more or less built this from scratch though, seriously - well done!

And to get Paula's approval. Nicely done! I don't suppose there was a chance of you attempting to put the moves on Paula was there? Kinda like we see Boba do in ROTJ? (with his Pre-Sail Barge Battle Damaged Jet Pack)
View attachment 240005
View attachment 240004

-Iron
I had one guy walk up to me and say that there was a Jedi who had a bounty on him and I needed to go get him. Without missing a beat I said “no way. Last time I got into it with a Jedi I got my blaster chopped in half and knocked into the sarlac pit by some lucky ass halfwit with with a stick. When I finally got out of it 40 years later, I was 50 lbs heavier and bald”. Not sure if he heard any of it since I also failed to invest in a voice amplifier. That’s also on the to-do list. Did finally get some pics…

Other funny story (not related to Paula). When I was in the elevator coming down to the lobby at the Hyatt, right behind and to the side of me was freaking William Shatner. However, having the bucket on my head can’t see a damned thing. When we got out of the elevator, my wife was like, “That’s the guy from ‘Unexplained Files’ and that TV show you like”. I was like, William Shatner? I turned around and was like, “Holy ****, it’s freaking William Shatner”. My fanboy brain wanted to snap a pic and say something stupid but my grown up side reminded me that I was probably not even the first jackoff fanboy to approach him today let alone the thousands of them who’ve bothered him over his career. So I passed up on the opportunity for him to be pissed at me. He was with his handler and didn’t look happy…

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpeg
    IMG_7339.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7371.jpeg
    IMG_7371.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7349.jpeg
    IMG_7349.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 58
JiM
Oh wow! Yeah, William Shatner - I watched the shows as a kid but never got into it as much as others. Definitely, more of a Star Wars person I guess. That guys not doing too bad at 92 yrs old and still doing the convention scene! Damn we're getting old. Hard to believe that Mark Hamill just turned 72.

Fantastic job on the kit. Impressive scratch built kit.

I second what others have said about spike breaking in some way. On my first troop I clipped a spike while walking on marble floor. It worked its way loose and then went skidding down a hall way. Thankfully it was at the end when walking back to the change room. It’s not come off since thankfully. :)

Just a couple of questions. It looks like the webbing on your fettkini has a join in it?
Also was curious about your knee strapping/attachment. Looks pretty tight and secure but how comfortable is it?

Fantastic job on the kit. Impressive scratch built kit.

I second what others have said about spike breaking in some way. On my first troop I clipped a spike while walking on marble floor. It worked its way loose and then went skidding down a hall way. Thankfully it was at the end when walking back to the change room. It’s not come off since thankfully. :)

Just a couple of questions. It looks like the webbing on your fettkini has a join in it?
Also was curious about your knee strapping/attachment. Looks pretty tight and secure but how comfortable is it?
Thanks so much for the compliment and the opportunity to expound on some of my design elements. For the knees pads, these are layered PVC with screw mountings btwn the layers. They are also reinforced with a metal band at the narrow point where there is only one layer. The screws hold the nylon webbing in place and the webbing also has a slip of velcro that attaches to the knees. This slip is only stitched to the webbing, not the back of the knee pad which allows them to bend. Using the Velcro (which I’ve seen others on the site do and wasn’t planning on doing myself until I overtightened one once and it broke hence the metal reinforcement bands)). The Velcro makes it so they never slip and they don’t need to be super tight. They are not even noticeable during a show and I don’t worry about them coming off at all.

What is a fettkini? I don’t know what that is…wait…is that an Boba Fett bikini? I’ve never heard that before and I am literally LOLing right now. For that, I use very similar system. It’s a two piece with the back part strapped on and the cod piece attached to it and held on by those square keyboard key-looking screw/nuts on the side. Combining that with the zipper under the ‘junk section’ and the two Velcro straps that act as a sort of very loose G-string/jock strap make it only slightly easier to use the bathroom…probably.

Attachments

• IMG_8896.jpeg
    IMG_8896.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8897.jpeg
    IMG_8897.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8901.jpeg
    IMG_8901.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8900.jpeg
    IMG_8900.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8898.jpeg
    IMG_8898.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54
I forgot to mention, I have a line-up locking system on the sides of the rear of the fettkini (love it) to keep it straight. Unfortunately, it’s not adjustable so I have to keep my weight pretty regular by walking a lot

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back