Pinkflamingos6 ROTJ Build

I don’t know. I’ve just always seen them painted white. I may be wrong. Did you paint yours silver?
ShortFuse
I only did silver for my base. Then layered on my Liquid masking and then the subsequent colors. For the tanks, I did a light grey I think.

I do know that Boochman (who I haven’t seen on here in a long time) did a ton of research on the ROTJ Jetpack, and has incredible insight on it. I think he painted his, was 90% completed and then repainted it based on new findings.

Last edited:
Shortfuse is correct! 100 percent white! bone white? with silver underneath!

Boba-Fett-Costume-CIV-Britt-157.jpg

that's the 'rotj hero' as it appears nowadays

You think I'll be able to get away with using silver and adding white chipping damage? As long as the finished pack looks like the reference pictures?

Aw dang, I'm gonna have to meditate on this lol I think I'm gonna do it because I wanna do it right. Shouldn't be too bad.

As for the damage on the pack, is that silver or white as well? The white looks like it might be from handling damage over the years but I want to be sure.

Thank you again for all your help!

I always paint my thrusters and tanks gray (SP Lettering Gray by archive X). They have never looked white to me, even if they were weathered that much. I wouldn't call the base of the missile white either.

Boba-Fett_Return-of-the-Jedi_Jetpack-Promo_02.JPG

Careful using the costume while on display as reference for ROTJ. There has been a LOT of damage happen to that thing over the years and during filming. Always refer to images from the time period when possible. Boba Fett Return of the Jedi

On a lot of the promo images you can see some white damage from where paint has chipped off the blue and where the lower tank started to slip out. This was fixed before filming. These images are considered hero reference, so an argument can be made with or without the chips is correct. Most of the white damage you see is the paint chipping off and exposing the raw pack, or possibly white primer.

Possible_White_Damage_2.jpg

Under-the-Helmet_ROTJ_45.jpg

I painted my thrusters and missile grey as well. I did paint my tanks white as mentioned earlier, but they are weathered to the point that they look just as grey as the thrusters.

Calling the upper cheeks and the mandibles done! Now onto the daunting dome. I'm definitely intimidated to try and get everything right for 501st approval. I'll try to post updates regularly for review and critique, before i get too far and make too many mistakes lol. Everyone has been so helpful!
20220319_121059.jpg

20220319_121106.jpg

20220319_121121.jpg

20220319_121135.jpg

20220319_121142.jpg

Well, I copped out on the dome lol. Was too intimidated. But I did end up finishing the left cheek and started the right.
20220319_165815.jpg

20220319_165836.jpg

Any criticism is good criticism at this point!

Thanks. I’m always looking for a good brushable silver that is not clumpy. I’ve used that one before. Are you thinning it out quite a bit?

Thanks. I’m always looking for a good brushable silver that is not clumpy. I’ve used that one before. Are you thinning it out quite a bit?
No I'm using it straight from the bottle. I think it's thin enough for my liking. It can get a little clumpy after a while but I just clean the brush and it fixes the problem

Was able to finish up my backplate this weekend. Nothing too special, definitely came out better the second go around. I didn't go too crazy with the scratches because I figured you don't really see it and it's gonna get beaten up by the jetpack harness and the pack itself. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.
20220321_172132.jpg

20220321_172140.jpg

Also a little helmet update...
Got some more of the silver damage painted on. The shapes so far need a little bit tidying up but that'll come later with the different colors.

I know some of the damage isn't 100% the right shape/size and isn't in the 100% right location, but I'm hoping it's not too noticeable and it'll pass 501st submission. But I'm happy with how it's coming out and I think it looks pretty good so far from 5 feet away...
20220321_171814.jpg

20220321_171821.jpg

20220321_171849.jpg

Let me know how I'm doing lol

Was able to finish up my backplate this weekend. Nothing too special, definitely came out better the second go around. I didn't go too crazy with the scratches because I figured you don't really see it and it's gonna get beaten up by the jetpack harness and the pack itself.

I know some of the damage isn't 100% the right shape/size and isn't in the 100% right location, but I'm hoping it's not too noticeable and it'll pass 501st submission.

Let me know how I'm doing lol

PinkFlamingos6
Lookin' real good! And yes you'd be correct in that the back armor does get beat up by the jetpack - at least in my case it did. I'm not 100% if it is because I'm using a MoW Studios Jetpack Harness, but I'm willing to be that even with the scuba setup it would as well.

As for the helmet, it looks fantastic! Great job on it! Now, I can't speak to the 501st submission process at all, but my understanding is that they do want close up's of the helmet. And that the GLM's are really only looking for the similarities with the 501st CRL pics. But as they say each GML is different and not created equal. What may pass in the "Timberline Garrison" (Idaho & Montana) may NOT pass in the "Empire City Garrison" (New York), or vice versa. However, if your intent is going for Level II certification, then expect to have EVERYTHING of yours gone through with a fine tooth'd comb - by the Bounty Hunters Guild no less.

In this crazy Fett cosplay world, and from what I gather, is that getting Level II cert'd by the BHG for a Boba Fett is like going through Navy SEAL training....
1647905273852.png

...or...
Trying to gain access to Columbia University...
1647904644668.png

Both of which, I wouldn't even attempt - SEAL training or applying for an ivy league university. I'm in no way discouraging you from trying. Just......I know for me.......well my family has a saying: "Luck of the Walsh" (That's my last name - "Walsh" being Irish) Lady Luck really seems to have it out for me, she has and will put me in hard situations - hahaha!
1647905037147.png

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
Iron,

Thanks for your kind words! Right now I'm currently working for basic approval, I can't wait to go everything finished and hopefully start trooping. I think in the future I'll go back and start upgrading to try for level 2 approval.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back