first look at the ANOVOS ESB Fett helmet!

absolutely love the imperfections the 3D copier picked up that made it onto the printed version. i just hope they tuck those LEDs into that topper a bit! they should be recessed rather than bulging, like Rick's biceps as he flexes on all of us with another stellar paint job.

absolutely love the imperfections the 3D copier picked up that made it onto the printed version. i just hope they tuck those LEDs into that topper a bit! they should be recessed rather than bulging, like Rick's biceps as he flexes on all of us with another stellar paint job.

You can be certain the next prototype will include more recessed LED's, the white thumbprint, a tighter visor spacing (has to do with how it was attached for the show), and a few more scrapes and knick-knacks. ;)

You can be certain the next prototype will include more recessed LED's, the white thumbprint, a tighter visor spacing (has to do with how it was attached for the show), and a few more scrapes and knick-knacks. ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436889436.332482.jpg

Sent from my R2 unit

Does this (or will the next one) have working leds in the rangefinder? What about the capability to add a servo? Is there any kind of timeframe on when we will see an actual production version? I assume they are working on a complete suit if they are willing to put in the work on doing a helmet.

Good questions JC #1.

Along with that, would also be interested in knowing if the RF stalk is aluminum or not, I imagine it is?

Great paint job Ponte!

Not 100% sure on working LED's or the ability to install a servo, so I don't want to give a definite YES or NO. Will get back to you on that.

I do believe that metal ears/stalk ARE something they really want for the final product.

I know a lot of you guys have a lot of questions about this helmet, and I'm currently getting some clarification as to what can be answered.

Good stuff. Thanks Ponte, appreciate you staying on top of the updates! This will no doubt be a bucket many of us will be interested in seeing how it comes out.

Quote from Philman....They've obviously still got a lot of kinks to work out. Like the heavy print lines that are still present. And that's no easy task. The tech has obviously gotten a lot better since MR. But it's still not at the cookie cutter 'autopilot' point we'd like it to be. It still requires a lot of human intervention (cleanup). Even the most expensive printers yield resolution lines that have to be manually erased. And with a precious artifact like this, I'm quite sure that's a daunting task. End Quote.

To be fair, I would compare the 3D print cleanup of the Anovos helmet with the cleanup of the EFX casting to illustrate the processes. With the EFX , aside of erasing the big crack in the squint and some other details (which were also removed on the Anovos to be fair), it involved sanding down the paint details which are so insignificant compared to the pronounced print lines in a 3D print, which depending on the quality of the printer can be as much as 1/8 inch pronounced. The good ones have 1/16 or 1/32 pronounced print lines. Which means, there's more material being removed in the sanding of the Anovos, or, more material being displaced on the Anovos (when melting down the lines with acetone) than the sanding of light paint details on the EFX. I saw some 3D work that came out from MR years ago, and the print looked like it came out of a 16 bit video game. And granted, technology has improved since then. But all of the same principles still apply today. The end result is always a very nice interpretation of the original scanned piece. But never, ever completely faithful. The EFX helmet, although was also left to human interpretation, is still the community's last best hope, as the Anovos will never be more than a mass produced modified item if the final prototype is 3D printed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually many 3D prototyping techniques have a standard layer thickness of around 1/254 in. or .1 mm
The good ones do layer half that thick.
Also the MR stuff was not printed. It was milled out of foam.
At this point scanning and printing still can't beat molding. But it's getting pretty damn close.

Actually many 3D prototyping techniques have a standard layer thickness of around 1/254 in. or .1 mm
The good ones do layer half that thick.
Also the MR stuff was not printed. It was milled out of foam.
At this point scanning and printing still can't beat molding. But it's getting pretty damn close.

dent.png

If it looked like this in the dent, what did it look like on the remaining surface? This does not look like .1 mil to me.

I'm not trying to say that this thing looks terrible at all, But think it's worth discussing in regards to accuracy and detail.
The OML cannot be the same if it was sanded down. I'd say that more details have been edited by hand than what most seem to believe.

The technology exists. Whether or not it was used to full potential in this example is certainly up for discussion. But it is not nearly as hopeless as you made it sound with your "16 Bit video game" comment.

I'm quite certain there are hand altered details. It's part of that process. But the product is miles beyond the MR and ahead of any fan piece in terms of accuracy. That may not apply to the intricate details but all fan pieces have those added by hand as well. I tend to trust the scan more.

As for comparing it to the EFX, people will and should. It is a fair comparison. Some people will value modified direct casting over less modified 3D printing and visa versa. I don't think we are qualified to compare them beyond that until one or both comes out and we see what we are looking for or not

The 16 bit video comment was not aimed at this piece, lol. Just a nod at some of the older technologies abilities. I don't think this is that either, but, as you mentioned, may still need some refinement to be the end all be all trophy. Maybe they are redoing the proto? Heard some reference at a second proto piece in a video from CC the other day.

... Maybe they are redoing the proto? Heard some reference at a second proto piece in a video from CC the other day.

I will be painting a second prototype helmet. I'll have more time to install the visor using more precise methods that the real hero used, including the rangefinder stalk, LED's, etc. Most important, I'll have more time for the paint-up, and will have the means to include ALL details and damage seen on the ESB helmet during filming.

Im looking forward to how his will turn out. I likely wont be able to afford one, or, i may not even want yet another Fett helmet, lol.. but none the less, this will hopefully be a great step forward for the Fett community.

I hope their production pieces turn out as good as Rick's two week paint up! I look forward to having two Ponte helmets in the future! My FPH2 he's painting now and an official Anovos!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back