My ROTJ Boba Build

Think I've finished up painting my helmet, it isn't perfect and there are some minor details still missing, but I need to move on to keep my sanity! Besides, I can always add more detail later, and I really want to get started on the RF (which I have already cut the pieces out, used WoF template found HERE. Scroll down to entry #23). I also still need to add the borden connector which I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to drill a hole for it, which probably is not going to be easy. The helmet also needs a little bit of a fine sand in spots, so I've started putting on clear coat so I can sand and not take off too much paint.

Helmet 98% 01.jpg Helmet 98% 02.jpg Helmet 98% 03.jpg Helmet 98% 04.jpg Helmet 98% 05.jpg Helmet 98% 06.jpg

I have to agree with AlphaCloneFett that the color is off. I think you were closer to the correct color the first go around. I’m not sure how you are sampling the color off of Raf’s templates but it isn’t supposed to be a shade of green. Sometimes computer screens/printer ink can distort colors. Regardless, it should be more of a primer grey. With that being said, at the end of the day it is your helmet. And if you like it, that is all that matters. Keep up the good work.

I have to agree with AlphaCloneFett that the color is off. I think you were closer to the correct color the first go around. I’m not sure how you are sampling the color off of Raf’s templates but it isn’t supposed to be a shade of green. Sometimes computer screens/printer ink can distort colors. Regardless, it should be more of a primer grey. With that being said, at the end of the day it is your helmet. And if you like it, that is all that matters. Keep up the good work.
Ok so it is supposed to be grey. Thanks for giving me an answer there, I had originally thought it was grey which was why I even asked the question. As far as the sampling goes, I just used the dropper and filled a whole page with the color, I've been comparing colors on this monitor for quite a long time so I don't believe it has anything to do with distortion, that color just looks green man. Really though, I want it to be right and if it really is supposed to be grey then that's all I need to know, thanks again.

it's a very complex helmet with lots subtle works going on. Don't use those old photographs of the helmet for color references, don't go by
the 501st either, they can be wrong! try to use photos from the recent exhibits. here is a thread in which jayvee did a really good job on his rotj paint up. you can use his work as a guide and see how he did the extremely accurate paint up of the rotj helmet. it helped me and i repainted my
helmet 3 times! keep at it

it's a very complex helmet with lots subtle works going on. Don't use those old photographs of the helmet for color references, don't go by
the 501st either, they can be wrong! try to use photos from the recent exhibits. here is a thread in which jayvee did a really good job on his rotj paint up. you can use his work as a guide and see how he did the extremely accurate paint up of the rotj helmet. it helped me and i repainted my
helmet 3 times! keep at it

Man, that guy can paint! Don't think I'll manage to ever be that good, but one can hope!

Been working on my rangefinder, wanted to post some progress.

Rangefinder 01.jpg Rangefinder 02.jpg Rangefinder 03.jpg Rangefinder 04.jpg

I made it out of sintra, and I doubled up the layer that makes up the top. It makes the top the thickness it's already supposed to be, and the LEDs fit in nice and snug too. I don't plan on making the LEDs in it work, maybe I will in the future if I ever do a better helmet, so I tried to do my best to permanently attach the rangefinder to my stalk. I glued it on with some E-6000, making sure to get it all over the screws too. I also glued over top of the screw heads too, hopefully they won't loosen.

Perspex Block 01.jpg Perspex Block 02.jpg

For the perspex block, I bought a piece of acrylic online and cut it out to shape on a band saw. It didn't say it was cast, so I took a gamble, I'm not left with a goopy mess so I think I lucked out. I did a test fit and it fits good, but I still have to work the shape a little, it still isn't quite right.

Rangefinder 05.jpg

Been working on my rangefinder, wanted to post some progress.

View attachment 237581 View attachment 237582 View attachment 237583 View attachment 237584

I made it out of sintra, and I doubled up the layer that makes up the top. It makes the top the thickness it's already supposed to be, and the LEDs fit in nice and snug too. I don't plan on making the LEDs in it work, maybe I will in the future if I ever do a better helmet, so I tried to do my best to permanently attach the rangefinder to my stalk. I glued it on with some E-6000, making sure to get it all over the screws too. I also glued over top of the screw heads too, hopefully they won't loosen.

View attachment 237579 View attachment 237580

For the perspex block, I bought a piece of acrylic online and cut it out to shape on a band saw. It didn't say it was cast, so I took a gamble, I'm not left with a goopy mess so I think I lucked out. I did a test fit and it fits good, but I still have to work the shape a little, it still isn't quite right.

View attachment 237585
That came out really nice.

Got the rangefinder and borden connector installed, had to wait for some glue to dry so I could put in the visor. :D

Helmet 99% 01.jpg Helmet 99% 02.jpg Helmet 99% 03.jpg Helmet 99% 04.jpg
the green wires inside the block are pieces of paper clip I painted mounted to a piece of sintra, the block is held into the rangefinder by the pressure of the pieces together and a tiny bit of super glue at the tip.
Perspex block w wires.jpg

Here's the pics with the visor in! Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and glad to be done!

Helmet 100% 01.jpg Helmet 100% 02.jpg Helmet 100% 03.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, I've been working on weathering up my suit and vest, I thought I got it decently good so I figured it was time to suit up and get some pics to see how it's all looking together. My wife helped me suit up tonight and snapped some pictures for me! Let me know what you guys think!

8-23 - 01.jpg 8-23 - 02.jpg 8-23 - 03.jpg 8-23 - 04.jpg 8-23 - 05.jpg 8-23 - 06.jpg

Been working on getting my flightsuit progressively more and more dirty, think it's getting pretty close to where I want it, I'll have pics later. In the meantime, guess what I've started working on...
Blaster templates.jpg
Pretty sure I've got the templates figured out for how I'm going to go about scratch building a blaster (Once again, big thanks to wizardofflight for the amazing templates!). The toy blaster is fun and all, but I definitely am due for an upgrade. I've ordered sintra already and am still waiting for it to arrive so I can start, but I'm already getting excited to build it!

Also, does anyone know where I can find templates for the scope? I thought it was posted in the blaster section but the link is broken. Thanks.
*EDIT: found the template on Google, but it's a pretty crappy copy if someone has one that's better. Alternatively, I would consider buying a scope if that is something that's even possible, though most newer scopes look like they would have to be modified, not exactly sure if that is the route I would like to take.

Last edited:
Been working on getting my flightsuit progressively more and more dirty, think it's getting pretty close to where I want it, I'll have pics later. In the meantime, guess what I've started working on...
View attachment 238372
Pretty sure I've got the templates figured out for how I'm going to go about scratch building a blaster (Once again, big thanks to wizardofflight for the amazing templates!). The toy blaster is fun and all, but I definitely am due for an upgrade. I've ordered sintra already and am still waiting for it to arrive so I can start, but I'm already getting excited to build it!

Also, does anyone know where I can find templates for the scope? I thought it was posted in the blaster section but the link is broken. Thanks.
*EDIT: found the template on Google, but it's a pretty crappy copy if someone has one that's better. Alternatively, I would consider buying a scope if that is something that's even possible, though most newer scopes look like they would have to be modified, not exactly sure if that is the route I would like to take.

You can always find scopes similar to this one that could pass if you don't want to pick up a vintage one.

You can always find scopes similar to this one that could pass if you don't want to pick up a vintage one.
Thought about buying one of those, it's getting harder and harder to find the ASI or Hunter scopes. I also found these Marlin scopes that look fairly similar too on EBAY, but for the money I've been wondering if it would be in my best interest to just see if Sidewinder or somebody wouldn't mind selling me just the scope and mounting rings. I figure I'm going to have to buy the rings anyway, I don't think I can make them.

Blaster progress: It has been quite a bit of work just to figure out how this is all going to go together, there are a lot of layers and plenty of room for error. I also wanted to get some decent progress before I posted, and I realized a little late that I needed some 1mm sintra for this. I have a pretty decent shape to the stock, and have yet to glue the grip on yet, it's been easier to sand down without it attached. It's a total of 14 layers of sintra, probably could have gotten away with 13, but I wanted to make sure I got the shape right.

Blaster Build - Stock 01.jpg Blaster Build - Stock 02.jpg Blaster Build - Stock 03.jpg Blaster Build - Stock 04.jpg

The past couple of days have been fairly productive, I haven't been able to devote a whole lot of time to this, so I feel I've been chiseling away at it. I have the barrel mostly figured out, just have to do the muzzle and the fins. Looking at the diagram, provided by WOF, the larger section of the barrel has a diameter of 2.375, and the smaller section a diameter of 1.9. Lo and behold, these are the exact measurements for the OD of 2" and 1.5" PVC pipe.

ROTJ Barrel bw.gif Blaster Barrel 01.jpg

I layered 2 pieces of 1mm sintra on the end to put the two pipes together, it had to be sanded down some as it made it slightly thicker. The "wings" on the side of the barrel I made 4mm or 3/16" thick, I couldn't find a measurement for this anywhere, but it looked right. I then wanted to put slots in the pipe so they weren't just glued on. A couple of things that made figuring out where to put the slots at easier are a fabric ruler (particularly the MM side) and a drafting scale. The ruler allowed me to measure accurately around the pipe, and the scale helped to put straight line on the pipe by placing the pipe against it like this:

Blaster - scale.jpg I then dremeled the slots out: Blaster Barrel 02.jpg

I added the bands around the piece first, then glued the "wings" in: Blaster Barrel 03.jpg

Here's what they look like together, they still aren't glued yet, I think I want to put the muzzle and fins on before I do that.
Blaster Barrel 04.jpg

EDIT: This I also found very useful, it tells you where on a ruler decimal measurements lie.
Decimal Measurements.JPG

Last edited:
BudaFett Thank you for the kind words! I appreciate it!

I do have a small update as far as that is concerned, I finished up the muzzle today. I started with circles the size of the muzzle, glued them together, and then drilled a 1 inch hole for the bore.

Blaster Muzzle 01.jpg Blaster Muzzle 02.jpg

I sanded it down to the approximate shape, and then I took a page out of Irongladiator's book by adding metal on the end so I could have a magnetic orange tip. I used 3/4" conduit locknuts, they go on the outside of conduit so the inner circle is closer to an inch. I used my bench grinder to take off the wings, glued it to the end of my piece, and dremeled and sanded it the rest of the way.

Conduit locknut.jpg Blaster Muzzle 03.jpg

I then glued it to a piece of 1mm sintra the size of the outside of the pipe, then glued that to a piece of 3mm sintra sized to fit in the pipe. I figured this would give the glue something to hold onto.

Blaster Muzzle 04.jpg Blaster Muzzle 05.jpg

That's it for now, I plan to move on to the T-rails tomorrow!

I have the t-rails all put on, just waiting for the glue to dry, I'll take pictures tomorrow. I had to draw the diagram out for it, I couldn't get any of the barrel patterns to print to actual size, I then transferred it to the barrel.

Blaster barrel diagram.jpg

I will also mention that the width of the scope mounting block is incorrect on the patterns, the size it is would cut too far into the rail. I had it at around 3/4" thick, but it seems to me that it is closer to 7/16", that was the largest I could make it so the t-rails fit in correctly.

I have also been working of the main body of the blaster as well, I haven't really talked about it because I haven't been 100% sure this is all going to work out, but I've been planning to transplant the electronics from the toy blaster into my full-size. If you've never taken one of them apart before, the electronics come out super easy. I decided the best way to go about doing it was to create a sort of chassis for the parts to go in.

Blaster Body 01.jpg Blaster body 02.jpg The trigger guard and hammer got sanded before the pieces went together.

Trigger.jpg The trigger is basically just a blend of the toy trigger and the real one.

Blaster body 03.jpg The next pieces hold the trigger in, and provides a spot for the dowel as well. The layer that comes next will cover the dowel.

There's still a little bit of modifying I'm going to have to do to get the electronics to go in, I'm really hoping it all works out!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 44 days old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back