*SPOILERS* The Book of Boba Fett Discussion

This might sound silly, but for me, everything kind of boils down to the sarlacc escape. If they gave that two extra minutes of screen time (at the expense of let's say the bantha dragging) and they showed Boba really having to fight like hell to get out of there... using everything he had, maybe even get that survival knife out of his pocket lol, then everything else is a bit more believable.

He's MESSED up from that, got a bacta problem now, can't fight like he used to, trying to slow down a bit, all works better because of the cost of getting out of the sarlacc.

Instead he swung on some jungle vines, took a hit off the TK pipe, and climbed out.

I'm hoping everything picks up a bit, that just seemed a lazy bit of writing honestly.

Agreed dude. It's like "bam" Boba Fett woke up while being trapped inside this supposedly ferocious and intimidating creature that literally no one escapes from - literally escapes in 5 seconds.

At least show him struggle - maybe pass out few times - fight off a ton of tentacles - try to blow something up....

Not literally just "punch the wall" and climb out lol

I‘m pretty disappointed by the first episode. It’s been said before, but especially the way Boba acts, fights and behaves is not at all what I would expect from OT Boba.

Instead of being cunning, smooth and proficient with everything he does, Morrison plays Fett as a blunt, naive and seemingly inexperienced action dude who seems to have lost all power that he had in TMS2.

90% of the trailer content was from the first episode, if not more. I still have lots of hope that there will be a huge reveal like The Child in TMS1 that’s really going to drive the show, but I’m expecting to be disappointed. Also I really really don’t like Morrison as Fett to begin with and I 100% think that’s the main issue here.

Last edited:
I‘m pretty disappointed by the first episode. It’s been said before, but especially the way Boba acts, fights and behaves is not at all what I would expect from OT Boba.

Instead of being cunning, smooth and proficient with everything he does, Morrison plays Fett as a blunt, naive and seemingly inexperienced action dude who seems to have lost all power that he had in TMS2.

90% of the trailer content was from the first episode, if not more. I still have lots of hope that there will be a huge reveal like The Child in TMS1 that’s really going to drive the show, but I’m expecting to be disappointed. Also I really really don’t like Morrison as Fett to begin with and I 100% think that’s the main issue here.
Agreed. Morrison isn't Fett, period. If anything, he's playing Fett like Jango. And yes, he is a clone blah blah, BUT IMHO, the prequel idea of creating Jango Fett and the DNA bit sorta screwed the persona that Jeremy Bulloch and the rest of the Fett Stuntguys created, fleshed out and made us fans.

3AE6F4BD-672E-4D92-ABC8-5D55D966512C.jpeg

I was a little underwhelmed, but Boba Fett is such an important character to me, I want to hold out that this gets better.

I agree with the physique issues, that scene where he was laying on his back in his flight-suit with no armor on, with a mid-life crisis midsection, why? I mean, use a double or movie magic to maintain a little bit of illusion and continuity.

And the Mortal Kombat sand creature was terrible, just screamed........"no, we have to introduce a new creature". But that's the best you could do? I mean, it looks like such a ripoff of MK.

I was stoked to see the Sarlacc scene and the call back to ROTJ, but again, missed the mark a little. I think they just said to themselves, "hey, Patton Oswalt had a great idea for this about 8 years ago, maybe that will save us some time, let's just use that"...............

I did get a kick out of seeing Max Rebo and a version of DJ Rex.

I am crossing my fingers this gets better. I felt the same reserved hesitation watching Mandalorian when it premiered and that came through...........

Last edited:
What I liked about the Clone Wars cartoons (and even Rebels for that matter) is that they introduced new concepts and characters while also giving us something familiar to tie into. This is what Mandalorian is doing for me. It's a completely new story, but the heart is there with subtle ties to what we know. I'm hoping that Fett will do something similar, but because he's such an iconic character, I think it's going to take a lot more for me to buy in.

Completely agree with you re: Mando. I do have some sympathy for those involved with BOBF as it's got to be near impossible to tread that line between creating new stories and keeping the references subtle & tasteful because Boba is such an icon. I am confused by the timeline though. My understanding is that the end of credits scene where we saw Boba de-throne Bib Fortuna happened after the events of Mandalorian S2 and that there are currently two timelines in BOBF:

• Flashback sequences to the Sarlacc pit and Boba's escape from it / being held captive by the sand people
  • "present day" - post Jabba's Palace takeover (any scene with Boba in his new armour with the black robes)

What doesn't make sense to me is Boba being completely wiped out by an honestly lacklustre fight with some lame henchmen and needing to be dragged back to the bacta tank. I've seen people attributing this to the damage he took from escaping the sarlacc but this scene took place in the "present day" timeline, with Fennec Shand who we know Boba didn't meet until midway through Mandalorian S1. In S2 we saw him take out an entire trooper squad bare handed so why is he getting knackered so easily now? I could have it messed up but here's the timeline as I understand it:

1. Sarlacc escape / Tusken Raider camp
  2. Mando S1
  3. Mando S2
  4. Mando S2 end credit scene - Boba takes Jabba's throne
  5. Anything in BOBF where Boba is wearing his new armour - including Boba being dragged back to the bacta tank.

Agreed. Morrison isn't Fett, period. If anything, he's playing Fett like Jango. And yes, he is a clone blah blah, BUT IMHO, the prequel idea of creating Jango Fett and the DNA bit sorta screwed the persona that Jeremy Bulloch and the rest of the Fett Stuntguys created, fleshed out and made us fans.
This is one thing that's always really irked me when it comes to the "BuT hE's A cLoNe" arguments.. The damn kid was separated from his father at like the age of 12 in a horrific fashion the middle of the battle that starts off the Galactic Civil War...
He's literally left there in the arena alone with no one to console him after him having watched his own father be decapitated right before his eyes. After burying his father's body in the sands of the arena and taking his armor (possibly coming back later for it??), he then fly's away alone in Slave I off into the Galaxy, with presumably only his fathers few questionable Bounty Hunter ties and basic Mandalorian training to guide him on his path... The sheer number of truly horrific possibilities that could, and likely would, happen to a kid left alone at that age in the StarWars universe of the OT/PT, during a Civil War, would undoubtedly have lead to them having had an extremely harsh life over the 20+ years that have passed since we last saw him, and presumably would be an entirely different person at their very core, including losing the stupid kiwi accent.

My biggest fear with BoBF is that Filoni simply views Boba as 'Jango II' rather than the ruthless intelligent calculating and proficient character we see preestablished in ESB, because he might be one of those who mistakenly thinks "BoBa FeTt DiDn'T dO aNyThInG" in the OT

An excellent TFA era character comparison essay writeup on Boba's wonderful tertiary character presentation in ESB for those interested.

Simple facts are that Boba Fett is the sole reason in ESB for why things go south for our Hero's at the flip of a hat, and on top of that.. Boba Fett is the ONLY character in all of ESB to actually accomplish his set task and goals in the entire film, all of which establishes vital character

Every other character in The Empire Strikes Back fails at their desired goals...

Luke = Fails to complete his training and save his friends, and ends up battered as well as being the one needing saving..
Vader = Fails to capture and turn Luke for the Emperor, as well as failing to turn him to his own plans after revealing his true identity..
Yoda/Obi-wan = Both fail to stop Luke from leaving or complete in his training, bringing further significant risk to the Galaxy
Leia/Chewie = Fail to save Han from Boba, and barely escape from the Empire in one piece themselves..
Han = Failed to escape The Empire in his famed Millennium Falcon, and is captured by a Bounty Hunter for Vaders needs only to then be frozen as a test subject, and is brought to Jabba (Hans big existential threat up until then)
The Empire = Loses track of the Rebels after Battle of Hoth, and then again after some of our Hero's barely manage to escape after fixing the Falcons hyperdrive which the Empire disabled..
The Rebels = Fail to hide from the Empire. Fail miserably in their defense of the base during the Battle of Hoth, and are left floating through space looking for a new safe home for their base... (one which they seemingly don't find even come ROTJ?).
Boba Fett = Hired to do a simple job "I want them found and captured ALIVE..". Accomplished said task quickly and efficiently. Leaves with a payday of a double bounty to bring to Jabba, all with hardly a shot fired...

That's the competent calculating and proficient character that's being ultimately lost in this sadly..

e8d.jpg

Last edited:
Biggest thing for me, Is the removal of the helmet and seeing that face, All the mystery has gone. Boba was an instant icon in the originals, in the coolest outfit, and incredible rapport. Now we have Jango Bells gone all soft

I’ve not seen it, but I don’t think I need to. Some of the comments I’ve read is enough to swerve and keep the visuals I have.

Well done Disney and never forget, it’s all about money, toys and Tinkerbell.

Last edited:
Such a shame to see so many people didn't like this first episode, also really sad to see abusive comments towards Temuera Morrison and the whole production for BOBF. I guess everyone has in their head their own conception of how he got out of the Sarlac pit, whether he flew out or not etc, etc.. I think the point has been missed by so many people as this isn't about him flying out of the mouth of the Sarlac (with a broken pack) and fly off to kicking a** and taking names! its more about reinventing himself, adapting to change. He almost died, he lost is armour, got dragged through the desert like Clint Eastwood in the Good the Bad and the Ugly. His body and likely his insides have melted, he is in bad shape!

This is about a change of direction, this is more like the Sopranos but in space! The Mandalorian was a western, BOBF is a gangster saga. Also the way they started this first episode was so that people who have never even heard of Boba Fett can sit down and follow the story from the start without any context. this is about gaining interest towards a new generation of Boba fans as well as trying to please the older ones. Have no expectations about this and try not to create a story in your head about where it should go as it will ultimately let you down. sit, relax, enjoy and just embrace this old timer is back on screen doing all the things we never really got to see in the first place!

Things will evolve nicely in this first season, it will find it's feet and Fett will have his moments.. attention is need that's all. and be nice to to Tem Morrison he is a nice guy just trying to make his way in the industry.

Such a shame to see so many people didn't like this first episode, also really sad to see abusive comments towards Temuera Morrison and the whole production for BOBF. I guess everyone has in their head their own conception of how he got out of the Sarlac pit, whether he flew out or not etc, etc.. I think the point has been missed by so many people as this isn't about him flying out of the mouth of the Sarlac (with a broken pack) and fly off to kicking a** and taking names! its more about reinventing himself, adapting to change. He almost died, he lost is armour, got dragged through the desert like Clint Eastwood in the Good the Bad and the Ugly. His body and likely his insides have melted, he is in bad shape!

This is about a change of direction, this is more like the Sopranos but in space! The Mandalorian was a western, BOBF is a gangster saga. Also the way they started this first episode was so that people who have never even heard of Boba Fett can sit down and follow the story from the start without any context. this is about gaining interest towards a new generation of Boba fans as well as trying to please the older ones. Have no expectations about this and try not to create a story in your head about where it should go as it will ultimately let you down. sit, relax, enjoy and just embrace this old timer is back on screen doing all the things we never really got to see in the first place!

Things will evolve nicely in this first season, it will find it's feet and Fett will have his moments.. attention is need that's all. and be nice to to Tem Morrison he is a nice guy just trying to make his way in the industry.

Its not expectable and lazy, Disney did not learn from Solo, which was a massive flop.

And as for Tam - I just think he could have made more of an effort before donning the best outfit in the universe and do a few more sit ups !

really sad to see abusive comments towards Temuera Morrison and the whole production for BOBF.
"Abusive" is a bit of an overstatement. I'm sure no one here actually harbours any ill will towards Temuera. I don't think he's right for the role. Boba should never have been made a clone, it completely undoes all the mystery and intrigue surrounding the character and Temuera just plays the role badly - sorry if that's offensive but he's an actor, part of his job involves taking criticism. Fett is supposed to be the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy - ruthless, cunning, and quietly tenacious. Temuera just plays him as an aggressive, perma-scowling brute. Part of being an actor also involves preparation and dedication to portray your character as believably as possible. Seeing a Boba who is more girth than belt after an extended period in a blistering desert completely destroys the immersion. As an actor, I'm sorry but Temuera bears some responsibility for this. Aside from all this, he's too old to play the part. Granted, that's not his fault but lets just remember - he's supposed to be the same age as Han Solo here and he looks closer to Grand Moff Tarkin! I know, I know, he was in the Sarlacc and sarlacc...juice?...aged him blah blah. Weak exposition at best.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back