Ord Mantell's PP2 Build

Untitled1.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Thanks guys. This paint scheme has been pure agony to replicate. Personally I rate it more difficult than ESB and way way harder than ROTJ.

This is a companion video, part 2, to the armor attachment video already posted. This is the method I use trying to replicate the original method the best I have knowledge of. Certainly it's not precisely correct, and the size and type of screws are currently not publicly known.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... yours is the most interesting build in progress atm that I know of. Your attention to detail is strictly mindboggeling. Comment to follow.

That half shelter color looks great! I think it's pretty difficult to find one that is dark enough to match the PP2 coloring. I still have a KryptonTop ROTJ cape on my PP2 because the color matched. I did upgrade my ROTJ to a half shelter as that faded green was easier to find.

That half shelter color looks great! I think it's pretty difficult to find one that is dark enough to match the PP2 coloring. I still have a KryptonTop ROTJ cape on my PP2 because the color matched. I did upgrade my ROTJ to a half shelter as that faded green was easier to find.
I agree. Very hard to find shelters this dark. This was my third one after months of watching ebay. Early 60's seems to be the way to go. But there is no shame in dyeing one if necessary.

The Kidney and Cod Thong - hook and eye​

I already wrote about this in my ESB build thread, but some more info has come to light in a pic to solidify my choice of hardware.

This is a previously unseen look at the thong attachment hardware on one of the tour suits (posted here with permission).

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 7.20.15 PM copy-1 (dragged).jpg

That's the hook of a hook & eye set at the end of the thong. This is a blow-up so the quality is poor.

Before I saw this pic I had already decided on an English brand called Newey's for these hook & eyes:

IMG_1717.jpg

I feel like these are as good as any other vintage brand I've seen, especially in light of the new pic. And I seriously doubt we can ever get confirmation of the original brand of hardware used, so this will work for me.

Now... there is a difference here though between this tour suit and the PP1:
Untitled2.jpg

the pp1 thong is opposite. It has the 'eye' attached to it, whereas the touring suit above has the 'hook' attached. Obviously assembly of these systems were not meticulously uniform across the suits.

I have no way of knowing which configuration PP2 is, and I'm not sure it matters a lot, but I decided to do my PP2 the same as the touring suit, with the hook on the thong, and the eye on the kidney. I'll do it PP1 style on the ESB.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 7.32.59 PM.png

then the eye goes on the kidney like so, although it's hard to see in this pp1 photo:

hook2.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

Untitled.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back