Ord Mantell's PP2 Build

Current progress shots. Soft parts are due from Clothears in the fall. Chest armor pictured here is old FP plates that are finally going to be replaced real soon. Still experimenting with Floquil colors for the shoulders and knees. It's time to finish the right gauntlet and get that painted, too. I plan to paint the armor using the technique Mario described to us when we met with him. A very interesting way of doing it and I'm happy with my test results trying it out. I'll talk more about that later if anyone's interested.

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

Long overdue update. I painted the first set of photogrammetry prototype chest armor as PP2 as a test back in July.
IMG_6065.jpeg

Mario gave me some tips. Next time will be better.

I want to thank Brokk for making this outstanding replica of the PP2 flamethrower. I can't thank you enough:
IMG_8544.jpg

After getting the new lineage+photogrammetry armor from MinuteFett, the manny has been updated. Still waiting on the Clothears PP2 suit ordered last February, but it's currently being made with some parts complete. Should see it here soon. Also finally got the PP2 vinyl ammo belt from Grue of Handmade Horror Shops. Gloves here are just temporary stand-ins I did on the cheap.

IMG_8398.jpg
PP2 jan2023.jpg

the next stage is installing the vintage electronics as much like the original as possible

IMG_9700.jpeg

IMG_9702.jpeg

This board is utilizing my research for all the correct vintage found parts, assembled and made to work by Deancfh, the genius who figured out and mastered the design's functionality.

IMG_9712.jpeg

IMG_9714.jpeg

IMG_9715.jpeg

IMG_9716.jpeg

IMG_9717.jpeg

And voila! A working vintage found parts RF electronics build installed in a lineage helmet.

IMG_9720.jpeg
IMG_9722.jpeg

The RF vintage LEDs are a special type of LEDs only manufactured during the 1970's
LEDaccuratevnot.jpg

Last edited:
Final stage of the helmet interior is gluing and taping all the components in place. This is a fictional recreation based on the only pics I've seen of the PP2 helmet as it existed in a very poor state as of a decade or so ago.

The original had all the components stripped out decades ago probably, maybe as far back as Don Post:
IMG_2102.JPG

My recreation:
IMG_9777.PNG

IMG_9778.PNG

IMG_9772.jpeg

Stupid question: how do you take photos of your builds with that black background?
Not a stupid question.

I turn my garage into a photo studio. I have a few backgrounds but I like the black, which also doubles as curtains for when the garage becomes our home movie theater. I also use it as my gym. And on occassion -- I park the car in it.

It's pretty simple. Just requires a little bit of space and some basic lighting skills. You can do this in a bedroom, too, if you don't have a garage. Use photoshop or your phone to make adjustments. Also iPhone will knock out backgrounds of a photo if you keep your finger pressed on the subject which makes this even easier than before.

IMG_7178.jpeg
IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_7247.jpeg
IMG_7247bespin2.JPEG

and the same space as our movie theater, same black curtains around the screen:

IMG_6681.jpeg

Yeah
Yeah, getting the knees, shoulders and left gauntlet right to my eye on my PP2 was a multi-day misting festival. Misted darker...nope, misted lighter...nope, misted, misted, misted...just right. I also discovered that my paint room lighting is different enough from my display room lighting that I need to let things dry and run them out to the display room for comparison. Frustrating and fun at the same time!

feels like there could be a greater contrast between the 2 colors for each knee, overall looks pretty good!
No debate there. My previous attempt was too much. On this I dialed back too much the other way. Just a few drops too few or too many and the ratio is destroyed.
Misted darker...nope, misted lighter...nope, misted, misted, misted...just right.
For sure, misting gets me out of a lot of painting pickles. Just working with the paints available to Mario/Vance to get the true base colors down. Although as I mentioned elsewhere, now that I know Mario brought some Humbrol paints with him for the job, all bets are off. I didn't know that before I painted these, although I still think its mostly Floquil colors.

No debate there. My previous attempt was too much. On this I dialed back too much the other way. Just a few drops too few or too many and the ratio is destroyed.

For sure, misting gets me out of a lot of painting pickles. Just working with the paints available to Mario/Vance to get the true base colors down. Although as I mentioned elsewhere, now that I know Mario brought some Humbrol paints with him for the job, all bets are off. I didn't know that before I painted these, although I still think its mostly Floquil colors.

are you using the finger with vaseline method? ugh that sounded gross LOL

are you using the finger with vaseline method? ugh that sounded gross LOL
:lol:
Yes, actually. On this test I used latex to mask the silver then vaseline to mask the first color layer. Much easier than using only vaseline. No stencils. Just freehand with both. It was a breeze. No idea if that's the method MArio used. Mario probably doesn't remember either. There is a possibility it was all latex on the knees. It's pure speculation based on some things Mario shared, which I can talk about at a later time. I plan to do the final knees all latex because of it though.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back