The Mandalorian Boba helmet derived from Sideshow bust? If so, what changes - Discussion

TDH:

1607907538355.png

Legacy Effects (license holder and legal original creator):
1607907573406.png

I’m way confused, so please excuse my ignorance...I know I’m in over my head on this, lol...so Legacy worked on season 2 of the show and supposedly recast the Sideshow bust for the helmet?? That doesn’t make much sense to me - so I’m way off, right?

I’m way confused, so please excuse my ignorance...I know I’m in over my head on this, lol...so Legacy worked on season 2 of the show and supposedly recast the Sideshow bust for the helmet?? That doesn’t make much sense to me - so I’m way off, right?

Sideshow has a Star Wars license for 1:1 statues and busts (and other collectibles). Legacy made the master for Sideshow either subcontracting out or another agreement that we can all speculate about. Legacy isn't a collectible company nor do they have any collectible licenses unless that information was released and I didn't see that memo. They're an actual prop shop and created Grogu, the Mandalorian, etc. This can all be seen in the Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian on Disney +.

Sideshow has a Star Wars license for 1:1 statues and busts (and other collectibles). Legacy made the master for Sideshow either subcontracting out or another agreement that we can all speculate about. Legacy isn't a collectible company nor do they have any collectible licenses unless that information was released and I didn't see that memo. They're an actual prop shop and created Grogu, the Mandalorian, etc. This can all be seen in the Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian on Disney +.
OOOOOooohhh, gotcha! Thanks man, that makes way more sense Appreciate you taking the time to explain! I’ll let the adults talk now

No problem SolarFett.

The question being posed here is it considered recasting if you acquire a mold from the creator/owner? Would it be considered recasting if MostlyFantasy on Etsy sold her Mandalorian pendant mold and allowed authorized copies EVEN when eFX owns the license and sells the same pendant? A reading of the rules posted, I'd say no.

Now full disclosure. I don't have any professional connections to the mold owner like I do with Wasted.

Wouldn’t it be up to the creator/owner? If they sell you the mold and authorize you to make casts, wouldn’t that be ok? Or are you saying that if someone else held the license for said mold, the creator shouldn’t be legally allowed to authorize you to sell? I guess that would be an issue between the creator and the license holder, right? I’m guessing there was some sort of contract in place?

The employee working for Legacy Effects (presumably under an NDA) that made the helmet/mold for Legacy is highly likely to be prohibited by their employer from selling anything they make while working for them. The employee is not the legal owner of their work for Legacy Effects and they definitely don't have any legal right to sell what they made while working for Legacy.

Legacy Effects states "We don't sell our molds, ever."

The employee working for Legacy Effects (presumably under an NDA) that made the helmet/mold for Legacy is highly likely to be prohibited by their employer from selling anything they make while working for them. The employee is not the legal owner of their work for Legacy Effects and they definitely don't have any legal right to sell what they made while working for Legacy.

Yeah that makes legal sense to me.

I wonder what eFx's social media intern would say if you asked them about the hero Boba Fett.

The question at hand is:

Has copying or duplicating an item without consent from the license holder (Sideshow), original creator (Legacy Effects), original artist (sculptor), trademark holder, or copyright holder occurred?

I believe it has.

The question at hand is:

Has copying or duplicating an item without consent from the license holder (Sideshow), original creator (Legacy Effects), original artist (sculptor), trademark holder, or copyright holder occurred?

I believe it has.

If the original artist or sculptor sold the mold then consent was given. There are multiple vendors who's tie pilot, scout trooper, etc helmets were also purchased for the show. Are their molds if sold now considered recasts?

Considering you don't know the identity of anyone involved it's a strange accusation to make.

The question at hand is:

I believe it has.
If it has, that’s lousy. Per TDH rules, if the burden of proof is the accuser, then how the heck would you even go about proving that though. If someone did that, they should be banned from here and fired from their job at Legacy - or sued by them.

If the original artist or sculptor sold the mold then consent was given.

Considering you don't know the identity of anyone involved it's a strange accusation to make.
But even if the sculptor sold the mold, isn’t it wrong to make profit from it if someone else owns the license still?

But even if the sculptor sold the mold, isn’t it wrong to make profit from it if someone else owns the license still?

Then everything sold on every 3rd party site is recasting including fan sculpts.

The helmet isn't even for sale on this site so the accusation of recasting is completely premature. Even more amusing considering the lack of information people need to have an informed opinion AND people here have no issues purchasing items by their own definitions are recasts. So it's really odd.

If the original artist or sculptor sold the mold then consent was given. There are multiple vendors who's tie pilot, scout trooper, etc helmets were also purchased for the show. Are their molds if sold now considered recasts?

Did the license holder (Sideshow Collectibles) give consent? No
Did the original creator (Legacy Effects) give consent? No
Did the original artist give consent? Reportedly
Did the trademark holder give consent? No
Did the copyright holder give consent? No

Does one "yes" to the above questions cancel out the four "no's" of the license holder, original creator, trademark holder or copyright holder? The way the TDH Recasting guidelines are written doesn't say that it's okay to recast if someone in the supply chain gives consent. It lists everyone in that supply chain and states "or" when speaking to the stakeholders. If any of them say "no" then it's a "no" per the recasting guideline.

I don't need to know the the individual's identity. I am speaking about the individual's actions based on what you've shared. If TDH admin knows the identity of the maker, then they know the identity.

I am pointing out that the reported actions of the individual recasting the Legacy Effects helmet based on what you've shared, is in violation of the TDH Recasting rules. It just means what it means. Whether or not the guidelines are followed or not is what it is.

Then everything sold on every 3rd party site is recasting including fan sculpts.

The helmet isn't even for sale on this site so the accusation of recasting is completely premature. Even more amusing considering the lack of information people need to have an informed opinion AND people here have no issues purchasing items by their own definitions are recasts. So it's really odd.

I'm saying that any helmet that was cast by the means you shared is an unauthorized recast here on TDH, not on IG or elsewhere where there are no rules, so it shouldn't be sold here. And why would it need to be? IG, facebook, Etsy, etc seem to be making vendors plenty of money without the need to follow any rules.

The regular consumer doesn't seem to care if the maker or vendors follow guidelines on a forum. They want what they want and don't care where it comes from, so long as they get what they want.

Distracting people away from this conversation and these questions by making personal attacks is just that, an attempt at distraction.

I personally don't care if people buy or make the Legacy/Sideshow helmet. I don't plan on buying one personally, but if other folks want to that's their choice.

What bothers me is pretending that anyone making a Legacy/Sideshow bust helmet is making anything other than an unauthorized recast - regardless of where in the supply chain they found it.

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back