Superjedi's FPH2 ESB for Covafett

Closer and closer. :)
I got the remainder of the brow finished. This is good practice for the mandibles. Lots of tiny chips and scratches.

IMAG5959_1.jpg

Now that this area is finished, you know what that means. . . .
It means the helmet is all done! I'll pack it up tomorrow. :D Just kidding, Matt!
I'll be working on the left mandible next.

OK, Matt, you get your wish. :D The mandibles are in work.
Like a lot of other areas, I like to break the mandibles up into sections. I've done the lower half of the left mandible.
I'll continue working my way up next.
IMAG5966_1.jpg

IMAG5967_1.jpg

Lol. Got the rest of the mandible finished up.

IMAG5969_1.jpg

IMAG5970_1.jpg

That leaves the right side! Why are all the detail-packed areas on the right side of the helmet???
Right rear panel. . . right mandible. . . sheesh. :p

As with other areas, I break up the right mandible, too. I've finished the upper, horizontal portion.
What an eye-crosser! :eek: Here are a couple of angles.

IMAG5975_1.jpg

IMAG5976_1.jpg

Next will be the lower, vertical portion. It's getting c-l-o-s-e-r. . . .

Thanks, Matt!
How about an update?? I was away for a couple of days for a quick work trip, but I'm back on the attack now!
I finished up the right mandible. With that done, all of the "basic" painting on the helmet is done.
Here are a couple of shots.

IMAG6017_1.jpg

IMAG6019_1.jpg

I also began the effects painting. This consists of things like additional weathering, the thumbprints, etc.
First, here's the vertical stain on the right side of the dome. It's subtle, with a couple of darker splotches.

IMAG6022.jpg

Next up is a pic of the killstripe side showing the white thumbprints as well as the "fade" below the stripes.
The fade is very subtle at this angle.

IMAG6024.jpg

But when the helmet catches the light at a certain angle, the fade pops into view.

IMAG6025.jpg

Next will be the contrasting pale gray. Then I'll start detailing the ears.

Thanks, guys!
Chugging along with the helmet. . .
These shots show a couple of various things I've been working on here and there during the week.
First up is the lower RF ear temp installed. The pic also shows some of the pale contrasting gray that
curves down along the edge of the mandible and above the visor opening.

IMAG6030_1.jpg

Next is the pale gray on the rear of the helmet. Most of it is concentrated on the right panel, but there's
some more scattered over a few other portions.

IMAG6031_1.jpg

The gray in the dent is tricky to photograph. Hopefully some of it shows in this pic.

IMAG6032_1.jpg

Lastly, here's the mostly finished left ear. If you look closely, you can see that the bottom facet
has had the gray applied, but not the red. I'll finish that up tomorrow and continue with the upper RF ear.

IMAG6033_1.jpg

LOL, thanks.
Coming down to the home stretch now. There are a lot of small steps toward the end of a helmet build, and I'm
going back and forth finishing things up. The arches have to be masked on the ears, they have to be fitted and adjusted,
the Borden needs to be detailed and installed, final weathering and clearcoat, assembly of the RF. . . all that fun stuff.
I'm well into those stages now, and it would be too crazy to take pics of all those steps. So I've included just a couple of
shots for this update.

First we have the RF ear arch being masked, and then the result. The ear is actually complete as of right now. I took these
pics late Friday.

IMAG6035.jpg

IMAG6037.jpg

Next is the weathered aluminum stalk. I add some rusty spots and then add a wash of a dirty rusty shade
to make it look more like aged stainless steel.

IMAG6040.jpg

Finally, the googly eyes have been put in position.

IMAG6042_1.jpg

Wait. . . what?? :confused: Just kidding, Matt!
The eyes obviously belong on the Pre-Pro 1 version! Feeling a little silly this afternoon.

The helmet is in the final assembly stages now, and the next update will include the finished pics.
Soon!

#30 is finished!
I got through all those small final steps and mounted the visor just a little while ago. There was a slight delay due to a cold snap this week which forced me to wait an extra day and a half or so before I could clear coat. I don't like clear coating when it's too cold or too hot. The temperature can do scary things to Testors Dullcoat!
Here's a gallery of finished pics.

20180316_162538.jpg

20180316_162956.jpg

Here are the profile views.

20180316_162636.jpg

20180316_162857.jpg

Finally, the rear angles.

20180316_162723.jpg

20180316_162807.jpg

Many thanks to Matt for his patience and allowing me to hit this milestone of 30 ESB helmets with his bucket!
Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks to everyone who followed along, and it won't be long until I'm back with more.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back