Recaster Alert: Salamanderking

Wasted Fett

Literally Asian
It has come to my attention that this dude has been recasting Fettpride products that I currently make. Salamanderking on the forums. He makes servos for rangefinders / light kits and is even friends with people from the forum. At this point I will not be selling anything to anyone in Germany for the foreseeable future.
sal.jpg
slush.jpg

Hi all, could some one explain me how does the "recasting rules" work?
I allways thought that anyone could recast fettpride stuff because he scammed people here.
At least I infered that by the fact that as far as I know, both WastedFett (who I just bought some armor from hehehe :) ) and Animefan do FP's recasts.
As a quick note, I do not plan to recast anything in the future, just curiosity.
TY!

I allways thought that anyone could recast fettpride stuff because he scammed people here.
At least I infered that by the fact that as far as I know, both WastedFett (who I just bought some armor from hehehe :) ) and Animefan do FP's recasts.
As a quick note, I do not plan to recast anything in the future, just curiosity.
TY!

It doesn't really work that way. That would probably fall into the 'two wrongs don't make a right' category but it's not an unreasonable question because I would expect there are people with outstanding FP orders from FP who find it tough to see that FP products are still being made and sold.

That said every case of recasting should be viewed on its own merits or lack thereof. This is a subject that has been rehashed many times and there are always conflicting viewpoints over what is or isn't acceptable or even what does or what doesn't constitute recasting.

A google search of 'recasting props' will bring up a fair few hits including an interesting video with Adam Savage and friends discussing the subject. A few days worth of reading through the old threads will cover most of the conflicting viewpoints but not all of them.

TY!

I think you are misunderstanding ( with no malicious intent) what WastedFett and Animefan are doing- they have the actually FP molds and are casting product from them ( as I understand it). Recasting would be if I purchased a helmet ( or any individually sculpted product) from any vendor , made a mold of it and cast parts from that mold. They created the original product or purchased the original molds from the artist that did create it and therefore the product is " theirs". Im not sure how that rule applies to 3D printed parts ( i.e. : someone uploads a file, someone downloads and prints it and makes a mold of that and sells castings), but for sculpted or hand created parts that is how I understand it. Its like copying and producing a piece of art without the original artists permission.

I think you are misunderstanding ( with no malicious intent) what WastedFett and Animefan are doing- they have the actually FP molds and are casting product from them ( as I understand it). Recasting would be if I purchased a helmet ( or any individually sculpted product) from any vendor , made a mold of it and cast parts from that mold. They created the original product or purchased the original molds from the artist that did create it and therefore the product is " theirs". Im not sure how that rule applies to 3D printed parts ( i.e. : someone uploads a file, someone downloads and prints it and makes a mold of that and sells castings), but for sculpted or hand created parts that is how I understand it. Its like copying and producing a piece of art without the original artists permission.

Yes, I did not know about that. Was curious :)

Thanks intwenothor for pointing out this great discussion:

I have bought recasts in the past for both a Fett Helmet and a Ghostbusters proton pack. I regretted both of them. Especially the proton pack because I spent considerable time working on it and the casting was poor. There are two issues here, the ethics and the quality. When someone makes an original casting, they put a tremendous amount of research, time, and creativity into it. Recasters simply steal all of that IP. Second, because recasters are in it for a quick buck, the recasting is almost always inferior to the original. Purely from a quality standpoint, you are not going to get the same thing. When you look at all of the time you will put into painting a bucket, spend the extra couple of bucks on a good platform.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back