Painting a helmet

Wraithy1901

New Hunter
So like the Armour id always assumed that a proffesional painter would layer the helmet in terms of painting, masking off inbetween layers? i.e. for the T, silver first, then dark grey, then red……

For the dome, silver, grey, green

Im sure ive seen one of the best paint jobs on here done like this?

The original Fett painter Joe Johnston did not paint the helmet or armor completely 100% layered. Topical paint was applied as well in some of the areas.

The original Fett painter Joe Johnston did not paint the helmet or armor completely 100% layered. Topical paint was applied as well in some of the areas.
This is how I've always done mine. There's simply too much nuance and detail to mask everything. I mask the big chunks and then topically add the finer damage at the end. There are a number of folks who do amazing helmets 100% topical...which seems like sorcery to me! :)

I only ask as the helmet i have on my bust at this point is all done topical i believe and I was lead to believe that this was done layered as i believed the majority of the original prop was done.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back