Yet another ToEleven scratch build

Killstripes look great! How well is hand-brushing the silver and gray area turning out? Are you going at it in one shot or using several thin layers? I am planning on using a similiar method with Humbrol paints.

Geez you guys are too kind!

Killstripes look great! How well is hand-brushing the silver and gray area turning out? Are you going at it in one shot or using several thin layers? I am planning on using a similiar method with Humbrol paints.

All I can say is I had to go through a few different types of silver before I landed on one that would apply without being too thin or gloppy. I tried model masters acrylic silver and vallejo model color silver, both of which were a fail. Model masters chrome silver enamel was a winner. Since the humbrol silver 11 is enamel it may work well for you. As far as number of coats is concerned I really didn't need much more than a little retouching. It's all just very time consuming to get it looking right.

I didn't have the same issues with the gray acrylics, but the technique to spread it on was a little different than what I expected. It just doesn't spread like it should so I had to dab it on a little, then spread it.

A little out of order, but I forgot that I had taken these.

IMG_20160406_225255666.jpgIMG_20160406_225750792.jpgIMG_20160406_225632737.jpg

Both acrylics, model master international orange and tamiya xf-3. I added a couple drops of the orange to the yellow. It was just a shade bright to me, but it probably would have been fine after I breezed over with the orange. I'm sure any similar orange would be fine. MM is just what I had lying around from my son's PP1 kill stripes.

I don't remember if it was mentioned before or not and I didn't notice any, but did you add any physical damage to the helmet? Other than that beautiful dent, that is.

I don't remember if it was mentioned before or not and I didn't notice any, but did you add any physical damage to the helmet? Other than that beautiful dent, that is.

I added the physical damage after casting. It's not built in the mold. I figured that way it could be used for rotj or whatever.

Enough evidence that this is clearly a great fan cast. So nice it almost appears not to be fan made. I've given enough complimentary feedback, so my constructive "needs work" feedback is add the 1% more weathering, don't forget the ears....

Thanks so much...seriously kind words.
syllander I see some brown splattering on the right side and ear...also maybe a little dark gray airbrushing, but I can't figure out if there's anything happening on the left side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just needs to get a little dingy looking on the ears to take out some of the new paint look. Maybe a little winded/acrylic paint mix at very low levels to turn up a bit of grime.

Just needs to get a little dingy looking on the ears to take out some of the new paint look. Maybe a little winded/acrylic paint mix at very low levels to turn up a bit of grime.

Ah gotcha. I'm definitely going to do that.

Soooo, how's that master mold coming along?! I like the flair, the paint, everything!

Thanks brother. I'm about ready to start pulling some casts. The last month has been consumed with getting a paint-up complete. I'd like to tweak a few things on my ear cap mold, but it's really not too bad as it is.
@Raizo Thanks for that! I'm stoked with how it turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
outstanding job:cool its good looking at such a high quality home made helmet as it makes me want to try harder on my next one knowing there is always room for improvment. thanks for setting that bar real high for us btw :lol:thumbsup:

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back