Superjedi's "Hybrid" FPH2 ESB

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
In this thread I'll be documenting kind of a strange project. . . at least for me.
This is an FPH2 helmet being painted as ROTJ SE for an Art Director at Electronic Arts named Scott. This commission was originally started by another painter, who was not able to finish it. I was contacted by Dakota (Machine Craft) to complete it.

The helmet was based out in a layered style, with a good portion of the paintwork done. The following are some shots of the helmet as I received it recently.

IMAG5189_1.jpg

Much of the work was complete, with the obvious exception of the outer cheeks, and some various detail here and there.

IMAG5192.jpg

You can see that the rear panels were nearly done, but lacked the finishing details.

IMAG5193.jpg

I've been working on this for about 10 days now, and I'll be updating progress as I go. It will be intermittent, as I'm trying to do some of my regular commissions as well.

To begin with, I examined the base colors, and decided that they looked nice enough to keep. What I'm working on is tweaking/completing the details.
I began as I usually do with the rear panels. In this batch of pics, I've completed the details, including adding the silver/gray where needed, some physical scratches and other weathering details.

IMAG5210_1.jpg

IMAG5212_1_1.jpg

I moved on to the dome next. I'm basically redoing the silver/gray topically, and adding the SE details.
Here's the rear portion.

IMAG5213_1.jpg

Swinging around now to the area behind the RF ear.

IMAG5214_1.jpg

Next, I worked on the cat scratch area and the turn signals.

IMAG5215_1.jpg

Finally for this post, the dent!

IMAG5217_1.jpg

To bring things to their current state, here are three shots of the SE damage added to the dome. There's a lot of really fine detail here!
It's been some time since I've done an SE lid, lol.

IMAG5280_1.jpg

IMAG5281_1.jpg

IMAG5282_1.jpg

Next up will be the big scrape across the top of the dome, and some smaller silver/gray detailing on the top areas of the dome. Then I'll work on the cheeks.

It's a really strange feature and tough to detect. Some of the plainer views of what it is can actually be seen via the Banzai helmet which still begs the question as to why some below brow features of the ESB can't be seen on the Banzai such as the cheek crack. I love that thread.

This is turning out great! Although it's really weird seeing these previous colors mixed with your technique...Just feels weird.

It's a really strange feature and tough to detect. Some of the plainer views of what it is can actually be seen via the Banzai helmet which still begs the question as to why some below brow features of the ESB can't be seen on the Banzai such as the cheek crack. I love that thread.

Can you send me the link to that thread?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back