SarlaccSlayer14's ROTJ Build

More weathering done tonight. Lots of watered-down Burnt Umber acrylic and Rustoleum Camo Earth Brown rattle can (mainly for the leg bottoms, and misted over the thigh pocket flaps to get that stark contrast across the pocket as seen in the reference).

Funny enough, I own an airbrush but have been enjoying the weathering process without it.

Took some 100-grit sandpaper to my ammo belt on edges and areas that would get heavily worn, and also sprayed it with watery Burnt Umber to tone down the white stiches. Added some scratches using various sized drill bits. I plan to weather the belt even more since the damage isn’t showing all that well in photos.

AD63D6C2-DA9F-47BA-A70E-2EF0541571B2.jpeg

EAD6A4FF-3E8B-4BE9-90C1-1F0738BE562E.jpeg

AD6C986F-4255-4CD2-9C51-5E525E908946.jpeg

Last edited:
Misted a bit of black and brown over the authentic shelter cape from Woodman, and then hit the stitches and seams with sandpaper to lighten them up and produce a highlight effect on these raised areas.

B58857BD-1C93-4D69-99C4-F2008EB62166.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a great pic of them, but I also used watered-down Burnt Umber inside my hoses to dirty them up. The effect wasn’t as strong as I’d wanted, so I may hit the outside of them with brown rattle can paint and sand off as necessary.

Ignore the visible screws on my gauntlet. I plan to countersink them.

2C0FC2B6-210F-4411-9928-7DA8CF58AE83.jpeg

Last edited:
Let there be light!

I’m clueless about sewing, so I made a makeshift pocket for my Fettronics battery box using a square piece of fabric and the same clutch pins I’ve used to attach my armor plates. I’ll try to remember to get a pic of this pocket tomorrow. Works like a charm, and no seamstress required!

7CCE968E-B90B-4CE9-BFFD-352E47122203.jpeg

Yeah... and it felt even worse to cut holes in that vest!

Yeah, me too. Not sure how you did your vest, but what I did was use some iron on fabric repair patches. I cut them to size, ironed them on both sides where the holes were to be cut, and then cut the slits. The patches provide extra strength and hopefully keep the slits from ripping or becoming tattered. As far as the pocket goes, Carole already had one sewn inside the vest. What you could do if the pins don’t work out, is use some hem tape. You iron it on as well and it will stick the fabric together around the perimeter of the pocket to hold it on.

Last edited:
Yeah, me too. Not sure how you did your vest, but what I did was use some iron on fabric repair patches. I cut them to size, ironed them on both sides where the holes were to be cut, and then cut the slits. The patches provide extra strength and hopefully keep the slits from ripping or becoming tattered. As far as the pocket goes, Carole already had one sewn inside the vest. What you could do if the pins don’t work out, is use some hem tape. You iron it on as well and it will stick the fabric together around the perimeter of the pocket to hold it on.
You make a good argument for me to actually own an iron! I wish Carole had sewn a pocket on my vest! That would have been a huge value added!

We’ll see how the pins work out. If they can hold my armor plates on, hopefully they can hold the battery box in place!

Last edited:
Wired up my Aker voice amp with Pyle wireless lavalier mic. I’ll be wireless, with the mic transmitter Gorilla-taped to the back of my helmet and the mic clipped onto my balaclava near my mouth.

The speaker will be in my right belt pouch with volume knob easily accessible. Initial tests worked out well, and doubt anyone will have a problem with my voice emanating from my waistline.

ED44654C-73E4-43B8-99C0-A0DFA17EFA42.jpeg

Looking Great SS !! You're making some great progress !!! On your gauntlet hinge screws, you mentioned you were going to counter sink them. Were you going to cover them with some bondo and paint over it too??

Looking Great SS !! You're making some great progress !!! On your gauntlet hinge screws, you mentioned you were going to counter sink them. Were you going to cover them with some bondo and paint over it too??

Exactly! I had a wild idea to try and get everything wearable for an event this weekend as a test run. Will have several weeks to make some upgrades before hopefully snagging a pic with Jeremy Bulloch at AwesomeCon in Dc in late March!

Put in a ton of overtime on my build these last few days and, somehow, was able to do my first test run at a small con yesterday. A couple of minor glitches of course, but overall I’m very pleased with the results. Got some great feedback too, which really justified all the long days and obsessing over tiny details.

I now have six weeks to fix some issues and upgrade a few bits before meeting and snagging a photo with Jeremy Bulloch in late March.

I’m gonna paint my first kill-stripe on my bin - hopefully the first of many more troops to come!

2A60ABBC-01C6-4CAE-81F6-2185B26983D4.jpeg

5B953C87-621E-4431-9A62-B79984208B95.jpeg

F4F350CE-2BDC-41DB-98DB-E6A45AEF94AF.jpeg

39F6438F-74AC-489B-89DD-8E3014904A24.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back