SarlaccSlayer14's ROTJ Build

Nice work, Sarlacc! Just wondering what reference/references did you use for gauntlet assembly? I’ve had some difficulty finding good shots of the right gauntlet, as well as what type of hinge and a good hinge placement.

As for gauntlet references, I've also studied these pics a lot. Star Wars The Magic of Myth | Page 2 | Boba Fett Costume and Prop Maker Community - The Dented Helmet

The tour exhibits seem like quite a mess in some shots (gauntlets not even attached with exposed Velcro on the left one), but they're still helpful.

My Woody goodies finally arrived and I’ve been making some slow, steady progress!

Did a test fit tonight and am happy overall.

Gauntlets are still in progress, need to cut JP strap holes in the back of my vest (and a pocket for the chest light), and looking forward to weathering! Getting there!

51BECEE8-F3EA-4F00-B432-1A4DCCDE8822.jpeg

12CF995F-9396-40EC-98F5-8CE64BE8CD84.jpeg

My roommate has now invaded my kitchen, and I’ve been working on weathering all my soft parts this week. Wetting the fabric first, I started by applying watered down Burnt Umber acrylic from a small plastic spray bottle, adjusting potency as needed.

I’ll also be hitting the leg bottoms with spray paint and then I’ll hit everything with some other acrylic colors (Straw, etc). I’m working almost exclusively from the Jabba’s palace shots as reference for the soft parts weathering.

C30BCA66-20A3-4E72-87CC-38F1165D0B76.jpeg

Weathering looks good on the flightsuit. It’s almost a shame to dirty up Carole’s awesome craftsmanship like that. Or at least that’s how I felt when I did mine, but then when your done it just looks right. (y)

Thanks for the feedback guys. The work seems endless but I get a little more done on it each day and I appreciate the responses and motivation!

Last edited:
awesome I cant wait to see the weathering , any advice for weathering?

I’ve had good luck with the “wet on wet” technique - wetting the soft part first before hitting it with paint. Allows for a nice subtle blend. I’m also using some really watered down acrylic paints. I’ve used this technique on the suit, vest, gloves, pouches, boots, and spats.

It all has to be done in phases since the final effect looks much different once it’s dry. There have been several times that I thought I truly overkilled something, only to see that it’s barely noticeable once dry.

My advice is to use lots of different colors or shades of the same color to add even more detail.

While screen-accurate reference is really important to me, I also enjoy applying weathering by thinking how each piece would get dirty in the real world. Upward splashes from puddles, streaks from rain, etc.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back