FPH2 vs FP helmet vs Other helmets

viewoptic

Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone know what the biggest differences are between the FPH2 helmet and the old FP helmet? (the one that just says FP at the bottom of the T visor). Ive tried to research this and not found a lot of info.

Thanks

If it's the old original FP helmet then it's very big but I doubt there are any of those floating around . If it's the later FP premium or FP budget then it'll be a recast of a Master Replicas helmet with some alterations. So far as I know Animefan is the only person currently making Fettpride MR recasts these days. If it's a FPH2 then it'll be whatever that helmet is with movie specific damage added to it for either Empire or Jedi version. Those are now made by Wasteland.

Yes, I understand WastedFett is now making the FPH2 helmets. So the FPH2 helmet is actually the smallest and one of the best helmets around currently it seems?

Last edited:
Well, best is a pretty subjective term so what's best for you will be subject to factors like price, availability, size, shape, lineage (or not), convenience versus the reward of self involvement, materials used, is it a recast and do you have a moral objection to recasting etc.

Let's take the point 'materials used' because it's pretty non contentious. Helmets kits are usually either fibreglass or slush resin.

Slush resin helmets are unsupported so more material is required than a in fibreglass helmet to create the same strength. That means a resin cast is likely to be both heavier and thicker than the same helmet made in glass fibre. Resin helmets are also prone to warping when exposed to heat, even sunlight.

Fibreglass helmets don't have those issues but they're more expensive and have longer lead times because they take far longer to make and cure.

My personal view would be to take a lot of time before deciding on which one to go for and treat it as you would any other important purchase i.e. to try to have more knowledge of what you're buying than the person selling what you're buying and that if you're reading or hearing something that sounds like a sales pitch then that's probably what it is. All claims should be tested.

I have owned several helmets over the years and all of them, all of them, have had issues and/or tradeoffs. There's no such thing as the perfect helmet.

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the info, currently Im leaning towards the FPH2 helmet as I prefer the construction using fiberglass and gel coat. This helmet also displays the "wavy brow". The helmet interior dimension are 9.5" from front to rear and 10" inches from left to right.

It does, as does the Bobamaker helmet and the Darth Vorhees version 2 helmet, itself an altered Master Replicas recast. The BM has been said to have PP2 origins; I've never seen one so I couldn't say. Three different interpretations of the same feature. Bobamaker was the first to include this particular piece of movie specific damage into his helmet offerings with Darth Voorhees the latest. Unfortunately the whole photobucket thing has removed many a picture across the Web so it'll be tough for you to look at a lot of the old pictures that offered comparisons of the various helmets on offer.

If you're looking for a kit with features already added by a helmet seller then your options get smaller quickly but you do get the convenience factor so the question then becomes whether convenience outweighs the other trade offs with the helmet; who's to say whether or not the helmet maker's ability to eyeball it is better than yours. Then what else do those three helmets, with the wavy brow done for you, offer other than that feature?

There are loads out there that are relatively easy to acquire and not just FPH2'S and Master Replicas recasts. Aside from that Bobamaker there's the GMH or even the Malone Fett, if you have the money and can find one; a bit like the A team. Then there are some fan sculpts that look pretty promising. More than one of those attempts use the Rafalfett templates as the base so I tend to think of those as Rafalfett helmets but each appears different due to the choices made by the makers. We just saw a paint master for efx, which is some sort of progress, so maybe one day even that might be available and that's a very interesting looking cast. The point being that there's loads out there. To put it into context I've owned eight helmet casts covering six different helmets since I started my Fett project in the quest for what was best for me and my goals. It's taken me since 2008 to get to, what I suspect, will be my final helmets.

Thanks alot for the info, currently Im leaning towards the FPH2 helmet as I prefer the construction using fiberglass and gel coat. This helmet also displays the "wavy brow". The helmet interior dimension are 9.5" from front to rear and 10" inches from left to right.

Interesting dimensions on the FPH2. I don't know the source but assuming they are correct that would give:
Width 254mm
front to back 241.3mm

Forum member Keegan put up some measurements from the actual PP2 a while ago and gave the dimensions as:
Width 240mm
Front to back 267mm

That would mean the FPH2 is too wide by about half an inch and to shallow by about one inch.

Keegan also gave PP2 mandible measurements of LM 147mm and RM 150mm but you'll have to get someone with a FPH2 to take those for comparison. When I had my FPH2 many measurements were in the GMH range so you may have mandible dimensions in the region of LM 142 and RM 140 (Keegan's numbers) but I no longer have both to hand so this may well be incorrect.

Last edited:
You found the best words to explain what I'm looking for when you said "The A Team" ...who currently sells the GMH helmets?

Currently made by Skyfire. The GMH is Fettpride's reworking of Art's GM helmet that is currently owned by Superjedi. The GM is an early lineage PP2 cast. The exact lineage still subject to debate but it's got some great details and features as well as some major flaws. Fettpride did as well as anyone could be expected to reasonably do with it but it's still subject to the tradeoffs/no perfect helmet argument and the overall dome shape and size is not as one would wish. This helmet is often the goto for the smaller person as it has shrinkage issues i.e. it's small. Keegan's measurements table is in the 'Let's talk about flare. This is it' thread.

The FP Premium MR is MR prototype derived, not a modded production MR helmet)as in what they got from the scan before the corrected things they thought were wrong....

It and the FPH2 are about the same size in the dome.... same circumference and same front to back and side to side... below the dome is where they differ though. Theyre close in size... overall. The FPH the old one is WAY big I think you could really fit a GMH into the FPH (old one) easily....

Interesting dimensions on the FPH2. I don't know the source but assuming they are correct that would give:
Width 254mm
front to back 241.3mm

Forum member Keegan put up some measurements from the actual PP2 a while ago and gave the dimensions as:
Width 240mm
Front to back 267mm

That would mean the FPH2 is too wide by about half an inch and to shallow by about one inch.

Keegan also gave PP2 mandible measurements of LM 147mm and RM 150mm but you'll have to get someone with a FPH2 to take those for comparison. When I had my FPH2 many measurements were in the GMH range so you may have mandible dimensions in the region of LM 142 and RM 140 (Keegan's numbers) but I no longer have both to hand so this may well be incorrect.

I just measured my FPH2 and got the following:
Width (not counting ears): 250mm
Front to back: 267mm
RM: 144mm
LM: 146mm

Hope that helps. Also, I discovered at Celebration this year that not all FPH2's have the same dimensions. For example, mine and JbDubz buckets have different dimensions. We lined them up like nerds and compared them. lol

*edit* my bucket was an ESB (FPH2) that I got from FP

Last edited:
Interesting. I didn't measure my FPH2 when I owned it but I did keep some pictures that plainly confirm that mine had inside mandible edges longer than the GMH so ignore earlier comment on those. It was certainly wider side to side than it was front to back; it had a lot of flare to it.

Interesting. I didn't measure my FPH2 when I owned it but I did keep some pictures that plainly confirm that mine had inside mandible edges longer than the GMH so ignore earlier comment on those. It was certainly wider side to side than it was front to back; it had a lot of flare to it.
Which did you have ESB or ROTJ? When and who did you get it from? FP or WF?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back