EFX Mando Helmet Ear Literally Peeling off...

Mtpapa121

Hunter
Has anyone else's EFX mando helmet had this happen? It really bugs me because I haven't touched it in months, its not near a source of heat and suddenly I see the ear is peeling off. It is flexible and goes right back into place if you hold it but it needs glue to stay. Im afraid to glue it because i don't want the paint to break away under the ear and then have the same thing happen again, and i also don't want to get any glue outside of the ear and onto the paint.

I reached out to EFX directly but they wont respond. I feel like they wont care at all or might respond and ask for pictures then ignore me.

Any tips on fixing this and or getting in touch with EFX?

Pics below

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

Why don’t you try and use a small piece of double sided tape? It is a proven method for attaching aluminum dome panels and skins together in the R2 club. 3M has VHB tape that is used to attach emblems and trim on car and it is very thin.

Why don’t you try and use a small piece of double sided tape? It is a proven method for attaching aluminum dome panels and skins together in the R2 club. 3M has VHB tape that is used to attach emblems and trim on car and it is very thin.
That is a good idea, i didn't think of that. Thank you

Looks like some kind of glue is going to be your best bet. Just be careful with it and you won't get any on the outside, you could run masking tape along any edges or surfaces beyond the ear to catch any that might squeeze out and when you remove the tape, you won't have any access glue on anything!!

Last edited:
Looks like some kind of glue is going to be your best bet. Just be careful with it and you won't get any on the outside, you could run masking tape along any edges or surfaces beyond the ear to catch any that might squeeze out and when you remove the tape, you won't have any access glue on anything!!
That’s a good thought. I never use tape with glue. I think it’s going to need to be epoxied and clamped. It really wants to lift. I really wish EFX would get back to me.

Did you use VHB tape? Not all double faced tapes are equal. You probably would need to clamp it for a few hours to get a really good bond.

You could also try a bit of silicone. I use 100% silicone to adhere 150lb acrylic wall panels and these will not come off the wall unless you want them too. The silicone won’t harm the paint and it will allow you to remove if you need to.

Did you use VHB tape? Not all double faced tapes are equal. You probably would need to clamp it for a few hours to get a really good bond.

You could also try a bit of silicone. I use 100% silicone to adhere 150lb acrylic wall panels and these will not come off the wall unless you want them too. The silicone won’t harm the paint and it will allow you to remove if you need to.
Nope I’m going to have to look for some

That’s a good thought. I never use tape with glue. I think it’s going to need to be epoxied and clamped. It really wants to lift. I really wish EFX would get back to me.
Yeah to me glue, epoxy they're the same in my book. Which ever method you use, it'll have to be clamped into place as needed. I don't know how thick the double sided tape is, but I would be a little worried about the thickness of the tape may not let it lay all the way down, possibly...

Yeah to me glue, epoxy they're the same in my book. Which ever method you use, it'll have to be clamped into place as needed. I don't know how thick the double sided tape is, but I would be a little worried about the thickness of the tape may not let it lay all the way down, possibly...
agree

I’m not trying to hammer home the VHB tape method but to serve it up as an alternative with a proven track record. The thickness of 3M VHB tape depends on the kind you buy.
The kind you want to buy is the clear tape, not the foam tape. I found a spec online for a thickness of 0.006”

E6000 will also definitely work but it is messy to work with and you would want to be careful not to get it on any paint as you would probably need solvent to clean it off.

I have also used DAP latex caulking to glue on parts. The benefit is it is gap filling, cleans up with water and you can paint it if needed.

never heard of e6000 but ill see if i can find some
Should be readily available at any of your local hardware or craft stores. It’s an adhesive commonly used in armor builds because it is very strong but can also be removed without damaging the parts.

Looks like this:
1629645893875.jpeg

The downside is it smells like hell and takes ~24 hours to cure, but it’s good stuff!

Sean

I’m not trying to hammer home the VHB tape method but to serve it up as an alternative with a proven track record. The thickness of 3M VHB tape depends on the kind you buy.
The kind you want to buy is the clear tape, not the foam tape. I found a spec online for a thickness of 0.006”

E6000 will also definitely work but it is messy to work with and you would want to be careful not to get it on any paint as you would probably need solvent to clean it off.

I have also used DAP latex caulking to glue on parts. The benefit is it is gap filling, cleans up with water and you can paint it if needed.
This is why I really wish EFX would email me back. The whole thing makes me nervous. I mean I regularly fix and paint things , but I don’t want to mess this up

Is there any bend to the ear?

Personally I would take a little E600 and clamp the ear down with some soft towels not to damage any paint and leave it for 24-48 hours.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back