Boushh Build WIP - Iron's Daughter

Wow this coming along great and up to the IRON standard . Great work.
Got2bfett
...."Iron Standard" - Ha! I like that!
1645920756457.png
1645920762582.png
1645920768068.png

-Iron

I didn't pick a good day to do this, so I'm taking a risk here. 72 hours ago it was about 30 degrees outside - and snowing. There is no way I woulda done this then. The temperature has increased to the mid-50's today, but as you can see via the background on the pic below, it is wet and nasty outside. But I do so very much want to get this painted.

...And with that, got my workstation setup!
Work Station.jpg

Based on other Boushh successes that I've read from some of the other members, I do believe the recipe calls for an initial Dark Brown, which consists of a mixture that is:
Tamiya Flat Brown (XF-10) = 60%
Tamiya Flat Black (XF-1) = 40%
Using a cheap 35ml mixing bottle I approximated the ratios and mixed er' up! I also used a tiny bit of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver.

Base Paint Recipe.jpg

And here is the end result!
Initial Layer of Brown.jpg

Weather permitting tomorrow I'll give it the first layer of sprayed on Flat Brown, followed by the subsequent layers. My hope is to have the helmet in a position so that I can begin the leather work next weekend! More to follow!
:cool:(y)

-Iron

No worries! All good! That’s cool that she was recognizable by other kids! Can’t wait to check out your pics when you get em’ up.
(y)

Today, I got my work station set back up - Still cruddy outside.
Work Station.jpg

For the first session today I used Tamiya Flat Brown (XF-10).....
Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown.jpg

Step 5 - Flat Brown.jpg

This brought the lightness back up some while leaving some areas strategically exposed with that dark brown mixture. While it dried I cleaned my airbrush in preparation for the next spray session - and for this I used Tamiya XF-64....
Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown.jpg

Step 6 - Red Brown.jpg

This got layered very thinly but added some highlights to it, which looked good I thought. Next up I'll be hand painting some of the paint chips - which should take some time. More to come!

-Iron

Movin' right along....
Last night I was able to get some weathering via airbrush done!
First I sprayed on some Tamiya Sky Grey (XF-10).
Second I overlayed on some Tamiya German Grey (XF-63).
Lastly I sprayed on some Tamiya Flat Black (XF-1).
I also hit the ear greeblies with the Flat Black too.
Step 7 - Misting via Airbrush.jpg

And I dunno....there is something magical when it comes time to pull up the Humbrol Maskol - for me it is the added depth that this technique provides over the dry brushing.
Humbrol Magic.jpg

Just make sure to have some canned air nearby to get rid of the flakes. Also, and this is more so probably because of my age, but I also used a magnifying glass and a head lamp to scope out any potentially missed areas of the Maskol. Without that I definitely woulda of overlooked some areas.

And the end result.....
Step 8 - Remove Maskol.jpg

One of the benefits in applying the initial base layer of Tamiya Chrome Silver (X-11) is that I'll be able to add in fine scratches with a scribe in key areas. I see there is a few areas I still need to do this too.

Next step will be to scribe in those areas and expose the chrome silver paint, and then I'm also eagerly awaiting for some stencils from my good buddy ShortFuse I hope to see them in the mail today or tomorrow. And those two decals are for the side of the helmet....
(photo credit to merkava74 )
Boushh - Stencil Measurements.jpg

These measurements should work out nicely for the Sandman Boushh helmet. Special thanks to merkava74 for providing the graphic! I guesstimated on the measurements.

I also need to mask up a ring that goes around the top of the helmet as well as the 10 black vertical lines in the back of the helmet. But I'm loving the way this is shaping up!

-Iron

**UPDATE**
And in the mailbox were these this afternoon!
ShortFuse Decals.jpg

Thanks ShortFuse ! I just put them up against the helmet and they look like they will do just fine!

Last edited:
Movin' right along....
Last night I was able to get some weathering via airbrush done!
First I sprayed on some Tamiya Sky Grey (XF-10).
Second I overlayed on some Tamiya German Grey (XF-63).
Lastly I sprayed on some Tamiya Flat Black (XF-1).
I also hit the ear greeblies with the Flat Black too.
View attachment 220888

And I dunno....there is something magical when it comes time to pull up the Humbrol Maskol - for me it is the added depth that this technique provides over the dry brushing.
View attachment 220889
Just make sure to have some canned air nearby to get rid of the flakes. Also, and this is more so probably because of my age, but I also used a magnifying glass and a head lamp to scope out any potentially missed areas of the Maskol. Without that I definitely woulda of overlooked some areas.

And the end result.....
View attachment 220890

One of the benefits in applying the initial base layer of Tamiya Chrome Silver (X-11) is that I'll be able to add in fine scratches with a scribe in key areas. I see there is a few areas I still need to do this too.

Next step will be to scribe in those areas and expose the chrome silver paint, and then I'm also eagerly awaiting for some decals from my good buddy ShortFuse I hope to see them in the mail today or tomorrow. And those two decals are for the side of the helmet....
View attachment 220891
These measurements should work out nicely for the Sandman Boushh helmet.

I also need to mask up a ring that goes around the top of the helmet as well as the 10 black vertical lines in the back of the helmet. But I'm loving the way this is shaping up!

-Iron

**UPDATE**
And in the mailbox were these this afternoon!
View attachment 220914
Thanks ShortFuse ! I just put them up against the helmet and they look like they will do just fine!
Glad the stencils made it there and that they are what you need. Also, I started using some reading glasses with high magnification for small detail work.

Another Update!
Today, I got the top hat piece taped off for a small black band that wraps around. If there is one thing I absolutely hate about painting is taping, some of those corners are absolutely terrible to deal with - and then overspray.....I'm always worried about that.
Black Ring Taping.jpg

You can see that black band work below, but also, the LED Housing, I got that taped off and sprayed with Tamiya's Flat Aluminum (XF-16) and then weathered with some fine Tamiya Flat Black (XF-1) misting work courtesy of my airbrush....
LED Housing - Flat Aluminum.jpg

From there I took to the rear of the helmet and taped off my own 10 vertical lines - again using Tamiya's Flat Black (XF-1)....
Black Vertical Lines.jpg

And then huge shout out again to ShortFuse for getting me some pretty awesome stencils! I'm very pleased with how this came out!
ShortFuse Stencils.jpg

The color choices for the "1138" and the "I I I I I I I I" I used Tamiya's Hull Red (XF-9), and for the "C72" part of the stencil I used my left over mixture when I hand painted the random paint chips on with - and now realize that I didn't document that part of the build (My apologies) but that mixture consisted of:
Tamiya's Red Brown (XF-64) 60%
...mixed with...
Tamiya's White (X-2) 40%

I know most people opt to do that "C72" part of the stencil the same Hull Red. But I'm following along the 501st guidelines, which say....
1646287594534.png

But I gotta say I'm really enjoying this paint up. This is really starting to take shape, just a few things left to do regarding weathering and etching in some additional scratches as well as a wash. Then I can get crackin' on that leather work. I have something very special in mind for the antenna piece - but more on that a little later!

-Iron

Last edited:
Another Update!

Some final weathering before I call this helmet good to seal. First off, it is pretty amazing what a little #0000 Steel Wool can do to further weather an area. Take for example the ear greeblies....
Steel Wool - Ear Greeblies - Before and After.jpg

Once again, another benefit of spraying the entire helmet with Tamiya's X-11 Chrome/Silver and exposing it underneath the black paint. This took me all of 60 seconds to achieve. It was my intention to dry brush this area, but it seems this was just as effective if not easier to do.

I further weathered it with some more scratches and then gave the scratches and exposed chrome/silver a wash with Vallejo's Model Wash 76.518 (Color: Black), this wash dulled it down and gave it a grimey and greasy look to it. I also used Vallejo's Game Wash 73.203 (Color: Umber) to a few key locations which gave off a brown dirt like element to it as well! And here is the ending result of my hard work....
(Warning: There are 10 pics ahead of you!)
Boushh Helmet - Pic 1.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 2.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 3.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 4.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 5.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 6.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 7.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 8.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 9.jpg

Boushh Helmet - Pic 10.jpg

For those interested the ROTJ Mythosaur stand is from David Neth I'm presently talking to him about getting a stand with the Rebel Alliance symbol on it for the Boushh Helmet.

Also.....I got my Snout, Leather Strap and Range Finder greeblies primed and ready to go!
Helmet Greeblie - Flat Black.jpg

I'm gonna begin the leather work tomorrow morning!
#LightAtTheEndOfTheTunnel

-Iron

Nothings done....yet, but I'm getting setup!
Setting up for Leather Work.jpg

As a recap, this leather kit was purchased from "Boushh Build" on Facebook (Also known as "Alvomedia" here on TDH). I even went out and got a brand new pair of Fiskars scissors for this part of my build so I'd have something razor sharp!

Alvomedia also put a couple great YouTube videos on how to do her leather work, so that will be my reference. Those links are:

Joker.gif

Best,
-Iron

P.S. The potential is definitely there….
C1A34B12-BEAB-4F2A-8D7B-3E43FC21646A.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back