Tamiya Paint Issues

Hey gang, I'm starting on my helmet and using Tamiya XF-24 acrylic (reefer gray). I'm hand painting the gray damage and the paint's having a tough time sticking to the helmet, which is going down on acrylic (concrete color). This is the only color I'm having issues with. I've used this gray on the armor and seemed to be better. I've thinned it down in a separate jar with a bit of water and another with thinner, still having issues. should I try thinning some more?

What is the thinner you are using? I like Tamiya paints a lot, but find the Tamiya thinner (X-20) the best to use with it. Water doesn't work at all for me with these paints.

I also seem to recall needing to let coats completely dry if I needed to re-coat. If a layer is only partially dry or tacky, painting over with thinned paints can pull the other layer off in clumps. If your paint is drying really fast, this could be contributing to the problem. I know I have some reefer gray at home, but I don't think I'll have a good chance to check it for a while. Tonight is all about getting my JP on my back, so I can don the full (though unfinished) costume tomorrow. Down to the wire! :whistle:

FWIW, I make an occasional scale model, and invested in a larger container of the X-20. I think it was $12. I only use it to thin my paints, not to clean anything. I use cheap window cleaner for that. It has lasted a long time, and has a lot longer left in it.

I use the Tamiya acrylics almost exclusively with the Tamiya acrylic thinner (X-20A).

I've never had any issues.

Tamiya is an alcohol based paint...using water is a bad idea....Using testors thinner also not a good idea. I mix my own thinner but tamiyas thinner for Tamiya paint is best practice for someone not making a gallon of thinner for the year....

I'd be interested in details on your mix, if you are so inclined.
Look on google for make your own paint thinner... you need alcohol, distilled water and some other stuff you may or may not want to add....personal preference as to what else you add and how much. I use flow aid and retarder from liquitex myself. There are a few youtube vids out there about it. I don't have an exact % myself but I know what works for me in my location... your humidity and elevation will play a role in this also. In Utah I had a different mix as I was at 6000 feet and very low humidity compared to FL being at sea level and like 100% humidity lol

Ha! Exactly on the humidity, except I have a small spray booth with exhaust and can vent to the outside and spray in the low humidity and comfort of a/c. Unless the power goes out...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back