Boushh Our Boushh Journal

Silverstalker

Active Hunter
So am still WIP with the SE Fett but now taking on another project with my Girlfriend :D very stereotypical to do the whole Boba and Boushh thing but it works right?

Sticking with the ethos of making as much as possible, Boushh looks a lot less complicated that doing a Fett. we begin with a pep file for the helmet and the rest will be mostly soft parts,
so far we have started the helmet and I hate it already its weak and floppy looking, there are areas of improvement for the pep file that we will be adding to make it stronger in places and give it straighter line's other wise it will end up as a giant ball of filler and weigh a ton! we plan on doing a fiber glass interior to make it strong and my secret mix of filler on the outside to smooth it out :)

got hold of a thermal detonator already my first 3D printed item ''snazzy'' that will need all the electronics in it I have an idea already for sound and lighting but that's way off yet, this will be about a year long project to get it up to a high standard so no rush on this... slow and steady..

20160622_214842_zpsfa0qjqyh.jpg

This pile of folded paper is apparently a helmet! so it says....and it took a while to fold it and glue it that's for sure so I am glad there were two of us for it!

DSC_0040_zpsw9glq68a.jpg

there are areas all over it the will be replaced with framing card or backed with cell foam to make it more ridged
DSC_0037_zpsahgqu389.jpg

DSC_0043_zpsbmumizva.jpg

that really is it so far, there is a lot to do but update will flow in slowly (y)

it is very flimsy, and it does weigh quite a bit in the end and if anything it's maybe a little too big, but it's worth the effort....good luck bro

Moving slowly still on this as I am in the middle of some big improvements on my Fett so this will be a slow burner for sure.

So it is together I guess, I am leaning towards getting a Sandman kit if there are any still about :lol: I mean I can see it's Boushh but there are a few issues with its details that I have left off to hopefully add at the end with better detailing.

20160626_154306_zpsz8g8r3n8.jpg

The top 'visor' I will be put on dead last so I can get it beefed up and add electronics, the top section of the helmet dome is meant to have a different shape to it I think it was a part from a model ferrari race car kit that sits above the top visor.

The link will illustrate better http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/attachments/f68/boushh-works-modelkit051bc-jpg-71295d1378496888

It will have a fiber glass interior with most of the weight toward the back of the helmet, I can see it will be very front heavy so cell foam will be used in the snout area.

other than that there is a ton of work on the helmet alone, My Girlfriend is currently doing home work on some better materials for the torso armour we have a few ideas for that floating around.

but yeah its a paper helemt at the mo :rolleyes Pep files I will say are fun at the start :lol: then the swearing starts half way through (y)

Todd (sandman) still does kits and they are really awesome. i've built 3 or 4 of them now and they are excellent quality. contact him on here, or i can send you his email. if you're going to use it for a lot of trooping, Todd's helmets are a great investment. good luck with the build!

Thanks bud I wont give up on the pep juuuuust yet as I like to turn things around if I can (y) I do like the look of the Sand man kit however :D

You wont beat todds kits for accuracy....My pep build is really enjoyable however. I'm not going for 100% accuracy I'm not intereted in 501st or anything. You might struggle to get the accuracy you want with the pep kit. I think the size is too big for a start and there is no fine detailing that you get on a todd kit, you'll have to add that yourself......and the tanks were just awful...I had to build my own from scratch.

You wont beat todds kits for accuracy....My pep build is really enjoyable however. I'm not going for 100% accuracy I'm not intereted in 501st or anything. You might struggle to get the accuracy you want with the pep kit. I think the size is too big for a start and there is no fine detailing that you get on a todd kit, you'll have to add that yourself......and the tanks were just awful...I had to build my own from scratch.

yup the tanks are just pointless it is a good size guide however. I will not be going for 501st on this it will purely be for cosplay but there must be more to get out of this pep helmet paper thing I am sure
:lol:

The electro staff is a hard one, there is almost no reference for it, but I have managed to cobble together some dimensions for it, this build id going to take time that's for damn sure!

With refinements the pep helmet can be made to look pretty close. I used this same pep file & with a number of modification & was able to get me wife 501st approved. Mine was a complete scratch build, everything on the helmet. Not 100% accurate at the end of the day I am pretty proud of what I did especially since this was my first attempt at a pep build which was close to 5 years ago now. I plan on making a new one with refinements to improve the accuracy, but hasn't been high on my list. I made some adjustments to the size to accommodate my wife but from what I have read I don't think a Todd helmet would fit will on her head, cause I have heard that it is a smaller helmet.

The top nose area needs quite a bit of work to get it to look close. I designed up a pep piece to be added to that area on the one I did.

Also all the raised details on the top of the helmet need to be done. I used layers of tape to a desired thickness & carefully cut the shapes out. Then I fill this in with a mix of spackle & Elmers glue. When completed I sanded it down & removed the tape. Then coated it with resin.

Designed my own pep files for the tanks & scratch built them as well.

Over all this is a challenging costume to do. I am really looking forward to watching your progress. I enjoy the scratch builds.

DSCF3359_zpsa8186d7d.jpg

DSCF3357_zps1b2987b0.jpg

DSCF1948_zps5bfd0584.jpg

DSCF1984_zps1b63749b.jpg

DSCF1982_zps8cc7836e.jpg

Nice job Toolguy I am sure there is more to gain from the pep file and looking at that I am confident, I am fiber glassing the whole inside so there will be plenty to build on or remove for any countersunk detailing, I had that idea in the back of my mind from the start.

Thanks for the morning motivation :D :lol:thumbsup:

Fiber glass is all finished its good and solid. now for the fun bit......filler :sleep

20160704_190511_zpstaygrdyp.jpg

I want to get it glass smooth if I can as it has such a large surface area it will be easy for pits and dips to form, this one will take a few coats of filler I am sure of that but should be worth it in the end.

The electrostaff is coming along slowly, I cant strees how strange of a shape this thing is and nothing to go by when making it so its mostly guess work at this point...

20160704_164730_zpskvuwo3j9.jpg

20160704_164720_zpsnmvnterv.jpg

The soft parts will be on the to do list soon but they don't look all that hard, I think my Girlfirend is looking forward to this part more than me but she has been slowly making the details for the helmet so at the end it should all come together.

looking good
Thanks bud

Updates

we have been busy! in many ways this helmet is more complicated than a mando/fett helmet it demands attention to detail and structure, I have changed the original Pep design to be a bit more accurate but this wont ever be 100%

first of all I found a use for this old thing
20160708_185010_zpskk32jbx5.jpg

:lol:

the snout section of the helmet needed cutting out as the mouth, bumpy, bits? (what ever they are) need to sit recessed inside the snout and not just on top of it
20160708_202106_zpsa3kwn6lc.jpg

20160708_212944_zpsfz31zpmb.jpg

Lots of filling needed on this and then sanding and the filling again and so on, while that was all going on my Girlfriend was busy on the details works (top visor, ear caps and so on well I did the main body of the helmet.

20160710_102656_zpswng79pbb.jpg

All the damage has been added to the right areas but it still need a lot of work with the fine detailing.

20160711_212152_zpsgfzbffqt.jpg

along side all this the electro staff has come along nicely, I have all the bits together and it looks the part but is not 100% accurate, again there is work to be done!

20160708_152729_zpsdl6mdryq.jpg

20160708_152717_zpsocxowzkl.jpg

Bree (my Girlfriend) has been furiously sanding this thing to get it smooth ( she can sand everything now as I am fed up with it :lol:) but she is keen to learn all about ''making'' and quite often find her with my calipers walking round the house sizing things up ha!

I have started work on a few greeblies like the antenna

20160712_135612_zpsafmbhntw.jpg

20160712_151710_zpsw5dbtcv3.jpg

also started gathering soft parts and got some perfect beige gloves.....the little bow will be coming off of course.. that it is so far I will need to get the fine details worked out add a few things here and there and they we will be ready for paint! we have looked at the back tanks and shoulder amour and have a few ideas in mind for this..
20160712_200706_zpsrncmeoxi.jpg

More updates soon (y)

A new tool in the tool box

20160713_155302_zpsdcvznhuj.jpg

We will be making everything for this build so a sewing machine was the obvious choice for the next part, I got hold of some 100% suede curtain's at a good price that will be made into the outer tunic, neither of us can sew, so we simply got one of her shirts and took it apart and copied the pattern from that and used it as a template. Bree just started sewing and sewing and it come frustratingly natural to her and before I knew it we have a tunic! it's not finished yet but will post pics soon,

Got the electro staff finished and painted in silver, just need to get the masking fluid on it and so on.
20160715_090448_zpstbaaugqo.jpg

The greeblies are coming along nice, they are made with anything I have to hand and trying to keep it close to the original I am under no illusion that they will be 100% but will be close to the mark.
20160714_200239_zpsv0zzjhuc.jpg

I have started the paint on the helmet well my Girlfriend continues with the soft parts

20160715_184220_zpshbsrri7n.jpg

20160715_132412_zpsssqeiaj1.jpg

This base brown is far to light on its own, but it is just a base for the moment.

lots more updates soon

The helmet is almost done as is the elctro staff,

DSC_0051_zpsiz4ymauy.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsb6lrrzuj.jpg

DSC_0053_zpsyhcy6urq.jpg

I added a little keypad as I felt there needed to be some visual cue as to how this thing works, so I thought a few buttons would add dimension to it...

DSC_0054_zpszj9s2j0b.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsutkl6ibu.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsibophacy.jpg

I have tried to capture the cloudy/dusty look to the helmet but brushing on some grey with a bit of beige mixed in as every pic I have seen the brown is washed out quite a lot with this strange patina it has,

getting that leather on the front was no fun, at all in any way!, I have a very small supply of it and point in fact its the wrong color on camera its way darker in normal light, so its almost done I need to add the visor and the face plate, put a liner in it and fans and that's a wrap on it :D

The soft parts are coming together slowly, we got hold of some very retro 70's style horrible brown ''flared'' leather trousers... I am just glad this out fit has boot gators (spats) or it would be way to disco to use these :lol: needles to say they will be modded to look the part but that's a bit more down the line..... I really should get back to my Boba helmet hmmmm..

That card been sat around for years....so it got put to work lol

Fiberglass is great if you prep it all first...cut all the shapes, plan your moves and get the mix right.... It can be a tad heavy but just feels absolutely solid.. very forgiving if you make a mistake to cut it back etc.... its a bit old school when you think of slush casting and so on but I like good solid objects that have a good weight to them....they sit better on your body and move right....

Sewing machines...........:rolleyes. well not so much the machine but the whole pattern cuting thing. Anyway I have nothing to show for it just yet but we are working on it.

I have started the body armour,

20160724_141559_zps951vvjcw.jpg

20160724_141637_zpslfvpfgzj.jpg

20160724_145406_zpsq9ny6jmh.jpg

the only way I could get the shape right was to fit it to my Girlfriend and add a strip of fiberglass (well still wearing it) to the outside running the whole way from top to bottom, once it had set we removed the armour from her and it then kept its shape, then I fill the inside with fiber glass and cut back the outside strip we added at the start, kind of like removing a scaffold.

Still very raw I have since started the filling and shaping, the helmet I am pleased to say is finished all apart from the top visor, I wont be adding that just yet until I have the lights all worked out, I will add some picture soon for that.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back