Newbie looking for Boba esb advice.

jakotadones

New Hunter
Hi everybody!
My name is Dakota Jones and I'm an architectural designer in the Philadelphia area. I just joined the 501 last week and they directed me to you guys to get some advice on constructing a Boba Fett ESB costume.
I imagine this community gets a lot of newbies asking them how to get started. So I guess my question is, I'm a newbie how do I get started?
Haha no but in all seriousness I have navigated the forums quite a bit already and I have a few questions.
1.Can anybody direct me to a forum that outlines everything I would need for the costume? Maybe I'm just not seeing it?
2. what is this cargo hold I keep hearing about? Apparently I don't have access to it for another 49 post?
3. Is there a seller forum or thread that has trusted vendors? I would like to get the majority of my costume as a kit if possible. But I also want to make sure I don't order something that wouldn't be approved by the 501st.

Anyway thank you everybody for accommodating my naivete. I hope to get way more involved in this community as time goes on. But I just need a little help to get going.

Best thing i can say is look at some other peoples build posts and read about their experiences and such with vendors. Some are better then others... as with anything. Theres a wealth of knowledge here.

The 501st Boba Fett CRL will show you all the pieces of the costume you need.... also check out the 501st bounty Hunters Guild forum for more on approval and such I think they have a kind of pre approval type thing now where they help you with the build so you have no issues when submitting

Best thing i can say is look at some other peoples build posts and read about their experiences and such with vendors. Some are better then others... as with anything. Theres a wealth of knowledge here.

The 501st Boba Fett CRL will show you all the pieces of the costume you need.... also check out the 501st bounty Hunters Guild forum for more on approval and such I think they have a kind of pre approval type thing now where they help you with the build so you have no issues when submitting
Thank you so much for the response. Do you have any recommendations or tips on what parts of the costume to start on? I've seen a lot of people talking about starting with the "soft" materials for their build. Is that something you would recommend?

Thank you so much for the response. Do you have any recommendations or tips on what parts of the costume to start on? I've seen a lot of people talking about starting with the "soft" materials for their build. Is that something you would recommend?
I'd say start with whatever comes in first. Depending on your budget, you might be ordering in chunks versus all at once. My experience has been that the soft parts take the longest from order to delivery (due largely to the fact they're made to order based on measurements you provide). The armor, gauntlets, helmet, etc. usually have less time from order to delivery, but check with the vendors as that varies based on season (sometimes too cold or too hot slows them down). Boots and gloves seem to be the hardest to track down recently. Most of the build threads on here are 501st approval level, so you should be pretty good to look through some of those, many of which have part and vendor lists at the top.

Alot of people start with the helmet... its something you can display... soft parts... not so much. Thats where I'd start. By the time you finish the whole thing your soft parts might not even fit....

Alot of people start with the helmet... its something you can display... soft parts... not so much. Thats where I'd start. By the time you finish the whole thing your soft parts might not even fit....
That is a really good point. Do you have any notion of how long a typical build takes? I image it could take years.

I'd say start with whatever comes in first. Depending on your budget, you might be ordering in chunks versus all at once. My experience has been that the soft parts take the longest from order to delivery (due largely to the fact they're made to order based on measurements you provide). The armor, gauntlets, helmet, etc. usually have less time from order to delivery, but check with the vendors as that varies based on season (sometimes too cold or too hot slows them down). Boots and gloves seem to be the hardest to track down recently. Most of the build threads on here are 501st approval level, so you should be pretty good to look through some of those, many of which have part and vendor lists at the top.
That makes total sense. That way I can be working on things while I'm waiting for others.

Honestly I would say you could have a whole suit done within a year even if you were painting everything yourself but I’m on my 3rd revision of my suit and at this point I’ve been going all out to the point that I’m using nothing but vintage floquil paints found parts and all that and I’ve been working on it for about a year and a half. My suit did get 501st approval but I still felt it wasn’t good enough lol so I would say give yourself at least a year to two to get a really good looking suit done if you are doing a lot of the work yourself and if you catch the Fett bug bad enough you’ll never truly finish your suit lol

Make sure you research a ton before you buy anything so you don't buy things multiple times. I have acquired all my ESB Fett parts since July of this year using all top vendors but I researched for a long time before that. I am waiting on some things to be delivered currently and I have to paint armor still but time frame depends on what you can spend to acquire all the parts. Boba Fett is the most difficult costume in the 501st legion. My ESB Fett will be submitted for 501st approval sometime in next handful of months hopefully.

Last edited:
Sounds like a labor of love. I'm hoping to get 501st approval asap so I can troop around Philly, but then after that I'd like to tweak it to be more and more accurate. Kind of like what spicy was saying. Thanks for your help with the bobafettbuilders website. That is going to be a huge help!

Make sure you research a ton before you buy anything so you don't buy things multiple times. I have acquired all my ESB Fett parts since July of this year using all top vendors but I researched for a long time before that. I am waiting on some things to be delivered currently and I have to paint armor still but time frame depends on what you can spend to acquire all the parts. Boba Fett is the most difficult costume in the 501st legion. My ESB Fett will be submitted for 501st approval sometime in next couple of months. I will always be making tweaks and improvements though.
This is great advice. Once I found the right vendors, it was much easier to do subsequent builds. My first build was an adventure and I have definitely replaced a lot of pieces and parts...

Research Research Research! It's going to take some time to acquire all your pieces, especially your soft goods.

Have you decided to commission your paint or will you be doing it yourself?

jakotadones
First off, welcome to the hunt (as they say here). We all gotta start somewhere. I've been at this since 2019, during which time I built myself a ROTJ Boba Fett and a Boushh cosplay for my daughter. That said, I can't offer too much in the way of an ESB Fett. But I do know some of the top vendors in the game. To answer your questions:
Question 1: Can anybody direct me to a forum that outlines everything I would need for the costume? Maybe I'm just not seeing it?
Answer 1: I think it has been stated but you may wanna start at: Costuming:BH Boba Fett-ESB - Databank

Question 2: what is this cargo hold I keep hearing about? Apparently I don't have access to it for another 49 post?
Answer 2: The "Cargo Hold" is simply a place where people (and Vendors) sell their Fett items. And can be found within The Dented Helmet forum, here: Cargo Hold

Question 3: Is there a seller forum or thread that has trusted vendors? I would like to get the majority of my costume as a kit if possible. But I also want to make sure I don't order something that wouldn't be approved by the 501st.
Answer 3: While there are many vendors out there to choose from, be wary that there is also a bunch that you may wanna stay away from. And when talking about submitting to the 501st for approval, it really boils down to the 501st's GML (Garrison Membership Liaison) as each one is different. For example, a Boba Fett costume may be approved by the GML out of "Central California Garrison", but that very same costume may not pass approval by the GML out of the "Empire City Garrison". in New York.

Here is Iron's list of vendors:
Costume PartVendorURLNotes
HelmetBoba MakerBoba Maker's WebsiteBoba Maker takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation. An example would be that his items actually include what other armor vendors don't include. Such as little bits and bobs like switches, buttons and such. In addition, his items come primed and ready to paint out of the box! He also offers painting services, and does fantastic work for an upcharge.
ArmorBoba MakerBoba Maker's Website""
Jet PackBoba MakerBoba Maker's Website""
GauntletsBoba MakerBoba Maker's Website""
CapeSelf-MadeI know you're looking for an ESB Fett - but for a ROTJ Fett it was a made from a US Army Half Shelter. Which is NOT what an ESB is.
Wookie BraidsWoodmanI don't know that Woodman has a website/Etsy store, but I messaged him here via PM and ordered.
Flight SuitArkadyArkady is an active member here. Just send her a PM and she's really good at getting back to you.
Flak VestArkady""
Hip PouchesArkady""
SpatsArkadySpats are something NOT used on an ESB Fett. Though I think "Ankle Ties" are.
GlovesMikeMMikeM makes some of the very best Fett Gloves around.
Girth BeltWoodmanI don't know that Woodman has a website/Etsy store, but I messaged him here via PM and ordered.
Ammo BeltDelta LeatherworksDelta Leatherworks Website
Shin ToolsUsing the actual found parts - which can be easily acquired.B&H WebsiteFor a ROTJ Fett, this one item can be used to make both Shin Tools. For an ESB Fett it'll be this and I think one other item you'll need.
BootsKeep Trooping / Imperial BootsSadly these are no longer available from Imperial Boots. :-(
So I'd be at a loss as to where you get boots now a days. But I'm told it is difficult. But I've heard "Wasted Fett" is a possible source.
EE-3 BlasterSidewinderSidewinder's WebsiteHe is an active member here on The Dented Helmet - so try to reach out to him here.

Like BudaFett mentioned just do your research and you'll get there.
:cool: (y)

And if your new to cosplay - I'd ask around about different vendors. All too often do we here that people pay good money and never hear from the vendor, they get ghosted, which is frustrating in itself, but just be wary, that there are those out there that take your money and don't deliver. Long wait times is a thing in this world - but to never hear from the vendor and never get your item is another.

As far as time line goes here is what I was able to conjure up in a years time and $3500 later....
Iron as Boba Fett.JPG

And now in 2023, I'm pretty much at a point where my upgrades that I wanna do (and I've done quite a bit) to my Fett is complete, and now sit on a $6500 Fett costume - which is thee most expensive thing I own to wear - Haha! And I've yet to submit to the 501st, only cause I know for Fett it can be quite grueling - even though the local Garrison CO always says to me "When are you gonna submit?" I've told myself that I wanted to lose some decent weight before I submit and that last couple con's I've been to, I think I'm pretty much there....
Boba Fett at GeekGirlCon.jpg

Anywho, enough from me. Best of luck to you and if you need advice on your Fett - you're definitely in the right place!

Cheers,
-Iron

Research Research Research! It's going to take some time to acquire all your pieces, especially your soft goods.

Have you decided to commission your paint or will you be doing it yourself?
I'm going to be doing the painting myself. I have this guy I know in the 501st that owns a gamestore in Philly that is willing to help me out. He's very good at painting minis and that kind of thing. Do you think this is wise?

jakotadones
First off, welcome to the hunt (as they say here). We all gotta start somewhere. I've been at this since 2019, during which time I built myself a ROTJ Boba Fett and a Boushh cosplay for my daughter. That said, I can't offer too much in the way of an ESB Fett. But I do know some of the top vendors in the game. To answer your questions:
Question 1: Can anybody direct me to a forum that outlines everything I would need for the costume? Maybe I'm just not seeing it?
Answer 1: I think it has been stated but you may wanna start at: Costuming:BH Boba Fett-ESB - Databank

Question 2: what is this cargo hold I keep hearing about? Apparently I don't have access to it for another 49 post?
Answer 2: The "Cargo Hold" is simply a place where people (and Vendors) sell their Fett items. And can be found within The Dented Helmet forum, here: Cargo Hold

Question 3: Is there a seller forum or thread that has trusted vendors? I would like to get the majority of my costume as a kit if possible. But I also want to make sure I don't order something that wouldn't be approved by the 501st.
Answer 3: While there are many vendors out there to choose from, be wary that there is also a bunch that you may wanna stay away from. And when talking about submitting to the 501st for approval, it really boils down to the 501st's GML (Garrison Membership Liaison) as each one is different. For example, a Boba Fett costume may be approved by the GML out of "Central California Garrison", but that very same costume may not pass approval by the GML out of the "Empire City Garrison". in New York.

Here is Iron's list of vendors:
Costume PartVendorURLNotes
HelmetBoba MakerBoba Maker's WebsiteBoba Maker takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation. An example would be that his items actually include what other armor vendors don't include. Such as little bits and bobs like switches, buttons and such. In addition, his items come primed and ready to paint out of the box! He also offers painting services, and does fantastic work for an upcharge.
ArmorBoba MakerBoba Maker's Website""
Jet PackBoba MakerBoba Maker's Website""
GauntletsBoba MakerBoba Maker's Website""
CapeSelf-MadeI know you're looking for an ESB Fett - but for a ROTJ Fett it was a made from a US Army Half Shelter. Which is NOT what an ESB is.
Wookie BraidsWoodmanI don't know that Woodman has a website/Etsy store, but I messaged him here via PM and ordered.
Flight SuitArkadyArkady is an active member here. Just send her a PM and she's really good at getting back to you.
Flak VestArkady""
Hip PouchesArkady""
SpatsArkadySpats are something NOT used on an ESB Fett. Though I think "Ankle Ties" are.
GlovesMikeMMikeM makes some of the very best Fett Gloves around.
Girth BeltWoodmanI don't know that Woodman has a website/Etsy store, but I messaged him here via PM and ordered.
Ammo BeltDelta LeatherworksDelta Leatherworks Website
Shin ToolsUsing the actual found parts - which can be easily acquired.B&H WebsiteFor a ROTJ Fett, this one item can be used to make both Shin Tools. For an ESB Fett it'll be this and I think one other item you'll need.
BootsKeep Trooping / Imperial BootsSadly these are no longer available from Imperial Boots. :-(
So I'd be at a loss as to where you get boots now a days. But I'm told it is difficult. But I've heard "Wasted Fett" is a possible source.
EE-3 BlasterSidewinderSidewinder's WebsiteHe is an active member here on The Dented Helmet - so try to reach out to him here.

Like BudaFett mentioned just do your research and you'll get there.
:cool: (y)

And if your new to cosplay - I'd ask around about different vendors. All too often do we here that people pay good money and never hear from the vendor, they get ghosted, which is frustrating in itself, but just be wary, that there are those out there that take your money and don't deliver. Long wait times is a thing in this world - but to never hear from the vendor and never get your item is another.

As far as time line goes here is what I was able to conjure up in a years time and $3500 later....
View attachment 239893

And now in 2023, I'm pretty much at a point where my upgrades that I wanna do (and I've done quite a bit) to my Fett is complete, and now sit on a $6500 Fett costume - which is thee most expensive thing I own to wear - Haha! And I've yet to submit to the 501st, only cause I know for Fett it can be quite grueling - even though the local Garrison CO always says to me "When are you gonna submit?" I've told myself that I wanted to lose some decent weight before I submit and that last couple con's I've been to, I think I'm pretty much there....
View attachment 239894

Anywho, enough from me. Best of luck to you and if you need advice on your Fett - you're definitely in the right place!

Cheers,
-Iron
Bro..... If I could award you 1000 trophies I would. Seriously this is so helpful, thank you. I have decided to start with the helmet but I'm glad to know that if I get stuck, people like you have my back. If I have any questions along the way would you be okay if I PM'd you? Seriously thank you so much.

Bro..... If I could award you 1000 trophies I would. Seriously this is so helpful, thank you. I have decided to start with the helmet but I'm glad to know that if I get stuck, people like you have my back. If I have any questions along the way would you be okay if I PM'd you? Seriously thank you so much.
jakotadones
You're most welcome. Some of us like talking about this stuff and our experiences. But yeah, I don't have a problem with you (or anyone) in PM'ing me. I don't have much knowledge on the ESB Fett, but I can help where I can - or at the very least direct you to some folks round here who are good at the ESB Fett.

Welcome to the hunt! I hope my build thread can be helpful:
And here we go: jedisushi's 501st APPROVED (!) ESB

Beware: a Fett build is never finished, only abandoned. It will take longer and cost more money than you think, no matter what you think now. :lol:

I’m still upgrading and tweaking, and it’s all part of the fun. But as others have said, the most important thing is to RESEARCH, get started, be patient, and be smart. With proper research you can buy many things second hand, saving time and money.

Feel free to reach out to me with questions. There are LOTS of amazing people here on TDH, but as an approved ESB Fett I’ll certainly do what I can to help.

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back