Joey's ESB Build

jdrussell2
So I use an airbrush, which allows for better control over the rattle cans. In fact, I used an airbrush for pretty much my entire Fett. The knee darts painting scheme (Red and Black) seems the same as the ROTJ version. I simply used masking tape and taped off everything except the exposed metal on the knee darts. It was actually pretty quick to do.
I’m using an airbrush as well for everything for the same reason. What kind of paint did you use? I’m using enamel paints for pretty much everything but I’m not sure if they’ll grab onto the aluminum as I need it to. Any kind of specific paint recommendation?

jdrussell2
For mine I simply used the following Vallejo paints...
1678474349852.png

I also mixed the Vallejo paints with...
1678477388301.png

...this allows for it to be at a good consistency to be shot out of the airbrush.

I gave the paint 24 hours to cure then followed up with this....
1678475381607.png

....and two years later, no issue.

Cheers,
-Iron

Last edited:
It should be pretty easy to mask with some tape, at least for me. It should just wrap around no problem. Maybe scuff it up a little with some sandpaper so the primer bonds better before you paint

Hello again, everyone! I'm back with some short updates before I go and paint some pieces. Here is my current look for the cod/kidney pieces. The shade of green is about to change, so keep that in mind.

First I hit both pieces with a couple layers of Humbrol #11 and masked off the damage for the first coat of yellow. After drying, I did my yellow layer with Humbrol 154 to give that yellow layer a solid base.

I'm rather curious to see how today goes as I will attempt to get all of my armor pieces painted. Those pieces will include chest pieces, backplate, collar, and shoulders. Wish me luck!
image0 (1).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
image3.jpeg

Now, I went the Sherman-Williams route for getting enough green enamel paint for Boba. With that being said, I took my best reference back and got this Hunter Green looking shade. I'm not too happy with how it turned out. I went back and picked a different shade of green that looked better on a good reference photo. That color ended up being called Billiard Green which has more of that dark Pine Green to it. I'll take plenty of pictures of the new pieces with these repainted as well.
image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg

The Humbrol Maskol really does a great got with getting good natural chipping look. Using a compass point to scratch the Maskol off and add fine lines is a huge help as well.
image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg

My green didn't go on like I thought it did which is why you can see the yellow coming through. The new layer of green will cover this up and make everything nice and smooth.
image8.jpeg

Also, I got my soft parts in! This Boba is going to end up being about 90% of pieces being from Daz over at Bobamaker. I also included a picture of all my armor parts that I currently have. Forgot to mention the shin tools as well. I'll paint those after I get all of these pieces done since I'll have to do more paint swapping. The flight suit feels great and is nice and snug. The flak jacket is nice and light with plenty of fluff to it so the armor pieces will sit nicely on it. The gloves are a tad big but they shrunk a bit when I threw them in the wash. I'll be using acrylic paints to weather these pieces today and I'm excited to get the full soft parts look done!

As far as new pieces go, I had already ordered my helmet, jetpack, Pulce-40, holster, and side pouches. All coming from Bobamaker. They should be here in the summer months so I should have plenty of time to paint when they get here.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back