First scratch build

Clear, visor, and foam still to go, but cleaned up the dmg spots.

20171025_224627.jpg

20171025_224642.jpg

20171025_224650.jpg

20171025_224700.jpg

Side note: when I blew the seam out, I was tempted to glass the entire inside. I resisted it due to fume concerns. What I DID do, was pick up some FG rolls. The stuff used to make casts for broken arms, etc. This was tricky to use because it's designed to only adhere to itself. A bit of "priming" the surface with some 3m Spray 77 was enough to get it to hold as it hardened to reinforce not only the crack, but some other weak areas around the facemask. The dome is all fiberglassed externally under the bondo, so the only real weak spots were around the face. Hopefully between the FG rolls and visor, it will provide all the needed rigidity to the front of the bucket.

Working on armor for the little man. Foam I used was too thick for sure, but its what I had in hand and time is of the essence!

20171028_203730.jpg

Not happy with so many things, but for a Halloween rig for the 7 year old, it'll do. If it was my armor I'd be pissed. Plenty of lessons learned. That said, little man is happy as all hell.

Visor get installed tomorrow.

20171029_202807.jpg

Clear coat totally jacked the green on the armor pieces. Never seen this before and kinda baffled as to the cause. Made the green crackle as soon as it started drying. Used a different clear on the bucket to be safe...

20171029_182010.jpg

Most likely that crackle is from the green not being fully dry yet. Those "coat within 1 hour or after 48" instructions on the can are pretty strict when it comes to topcoating, especially clearcoats and especially metallics. If the underlying layer isn't cured, the solvents in the top coat will just eat it up.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back