Buckets of maskol?

ryan101011

Jr Hunter
Hi all,
I'm starting my esb helmet paint job soon, and am probably going to go with the layered masking method.
I would like to know just how much making fluid one can expect to go through in one helmet, couple bottles? Those things aren't cheap.
Cheers, Ryan

So I'm working on the helmet now, I've used the masking fluid for every back panel layer and the silver layer over the ears and the rest of the helmet. I've used about 1/3 of the bottle. The rest of the masking is pretty easy mode, so I don't expect to use any more than 1/2 the bottle total, maybe 2/3 if I get greedy.

For the armor, jetpack, and gaunts, I'd probably need another bottle, especially for the armor. The jetpack and gaunts not so much since it is just silver that needs masked up.

It doesn't look like much, but one bottle goes a long way. In the end, I found that Grafix Liquid Frisket came off a little more easily than Maskol, but it was a close number two. For finer details, the Winsor & Newton is better, though it is far more difficult to see when under a layer of paint. The Grafix and Maskol end up raising a bit when they dry, so you can see them with a layer of paint over them. The Maskol's purple color also means that you can see it better after it has dried and before you have laid a layer of paint over it.

Although it's great for finer detail work because it's pre-thinned to a really good consistency, you don't really have to use artist's fluid.

Regular bulk liquid latex works just fine too, and you can get a pretty darn close simulation of maskol and other branded fluids via thinning it yourself with water and coloring it with acrylic paints. I bought a 4oz bottle of the 'Liquid latex Fashions' stuff on Amazon that I'm only now starting to run out of, thinning and coloring it myself which makes you end up with about 6oz in total. I see some even more large sized containers are available from other brands now too for even cheaper, 16oz for 8 bucks. I imagine they're probally pre-thinned, so might even work out better for masking use. Definitely a great option if you're budget minded or like to be very liberal with your application like I do.

I'd probably recommend still getting at least 1 jar of some of the artist fluid though, as it is a really great mix for super fine detail work.

It doesn't look like much, but one bottle goes a long way. In the end, I found that Grafix Liquid Frisket came off a little more easily than Maskol, but it was a close number two. For finer details, the Winsor & Newton is better, though it is far more difficult to see when under a layer of paint. The Grafix and Maskol end up raising a bit when they dry, so you can see them with a layer of paint over them. The Maskol's purple color also means that you can see it better after it has dried and before you have laid a layer of paint over it.
add water color to the Grafix brand....

Yeah, that's what everybody says to do. I have just always been worried that I would add a color that would end up leaving a residual (Food coloring is what a lot of people suggest). I never got around to testing because the yellowish color of the Grafix shows fine on most Fett colors (although it is not good for masking over the yellow color on the armor at all).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back