Artakha's ROTJ for GeekdadX7

Artakha

Active Hunter
Hey everyone!

Believe it or not, this will be my 4th ROTJ paint-up, my second commission. I'm excited. This one's for GeekdadX7.

The helmet itself is one of my own castings, everything is the same as what you would get in one of my kits except for the fact that I always upgrade the stalk from a resin copy to an aluminum replica.

IMG_8627.JPG

Ear pieces, MQ-1 casting, dental files, they're all there. It's not the most perfect helmet but I do really like how it looks. Not to brag :D

I'm happy to answer any questions about the helmet or my methods as I go along, btw. No hesitations! (I mean, disintegrations, right?)

I'm not as quick as superjedi but I'll try to get this one done in good timing.

Some prep work is done:

IMG_8776.JPG
IMG_8777.JPG

Darn bubbles in the back...

More progress coming soon!

I swear, one of these days i want to make a mashup of boba fett and war machine from iron man. Looks cool with silver. Fett with an arc reactor and more armor plating. Yes please.

Before I started on the masking I quickly put in the MQ-1 circuit board in the back; for this I used some Apoxie sculpt and just epoxied it in. Solid, although admittedly not the most elegant.

IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

IMG_8884 2.JPG

Hey Artakha,
thanks for this great step by step thread!
At the Moment I'm working on my first ROTJ helmet and it's very cool to see how this is done.
Is there any Progress on this helmet?
Regards from Germany
videoflixx

I accidentally spilled masking fluid on my pants...anyone know a trick to prevent it from becoming a permanent stain?

Anyways, progress...

IMG_9577.JPG

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9599.JPG

Now waiting for it to dry before the great reveal....

Since this is a layered paint job I did the silver on the lower cheeks and dome, then did the moss green on the cheeks before hitting it all with the base gray (yeah yeah its supposed to be the base color but I always like doing things silver first) and have been since masking the gray in preparation for the lark dark gray.

Also--as a fix for spillage of masking fluid on cloth (at least for humbrol maskrol), since it dissolves with cellulose thinners, I was successfully able to remove it from my pants using mineral spirits.

IMG_9641.JPG

IMG_9818.JPG

IMG_9819.JPG

Because I do use the real floquil caboose on my helmets I like to minimize it's use by laying down another red beforehand. On the surface the humbrol 73 color appears quite similar but it lightens up in application. It does darken a little with drying but I'll mist it darker before laying on a thin layer of caboose over it!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_0191.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back