Artakha's DIY ESB build

I am very curious to see how you add the dents to the 3d prints. I made some DIY armor with sintra a number of years ago. Now that I a have a 3d printer, I may try redoing the armor.

I'll probably just hit them with the rotary sanding tool on the dremel once they're all smoothed looking.

Well so I got a good head start on the vest. I've been using Darth Mule's tutorial, taken from The Costume Technician’s Handbook by Rosemary Ingham and Liz Covey. Flak Vest Tutorial. Draft your own pattern.

I rather neglected to take pictures of my progress with the exception of the shoulder flap bits. Since I couldn't find anywhere a measurement between the ridges on the shoulder areas I counted them from the pictures available of the 2nd ESB Promotional armor, estimating the ridges to be between 16-18 in number, about 5/8ths of an inch per ridge. Maybe someone has this precisely figured out already. Here are some pictures...

I'm happy to answer any questions and also more than happy to hear any critiques!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_8459.JPG
IMG_8462.JPG
IMG_8463.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG
IMG_8468.JPG

dude you're going all in on this, keep up the good work

I don't know, I feel that their is more honor in scratch build. Keep up the amazing work.

Thank you guys! Many people like to go about their costumes in different ways; for me, a costume takes on a different life when you build it for yourself, you really get to know every detail. I also just enjoy building these sorts of things and they always teach me new stuff.

Epic build! Can’t wait to see it completed.

Thanks dude!

So the basic gauntlets are almost done! I'm pretty excited to finally get ready to mold these babies. I think I've been lazily sculpting them for...two years maybe!?

I think the look is pretty spot on but maybe someone has some input?

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I did a acratch build andmold on a set of gaunts myself and one thing that really bothered me when i was all done was that on the right gauntlet this ledge thingy should actually stick out a fair bit further on this side than on the other... it looks like you might have that going on as well

IMG_1939.JPG

I believe it should be more like this... sticking out much more on the "button side than on the switch side (ignore how beat up this thing is its just the general ahape im trying to show lol)

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

It could just be he angle your pictures are from it looks like it could be there or it might not... just thought id point that out for ya in case! I know i was pretty upset after it was all said and done lol

In regards to your post about the colors for ESB boba, I also like the slight teal/blueish tinge that is seen in some scenes most likely due to lighting and what not. I always felt that the cloud city/bespin hallway scenes and dining table scene had more natural lighting/ maybe a touch cooler than warm lighting and this has always been my starting point. It's important how you want the suit to look in natural lighting and what is just as important as the color is the balance and contrast between the colors. I tend to have a very slight teal look to my mixes but as stated before be sure to make mixes and paint your mixes together so you can see how they will react next to each other. Your eyes will play tricks on you so it's imperative that you try and eliminate as many variables as you can. Best of luck man, you do great work so I'm sure whatever you do decide will be nothing short of awesome ;)

It could just be he angle your pictures are from it looks like it could be there or it might not... just thought id point that out for ya in case! I know i was pretty upset after it was all said and done lol

You are so right. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll correct it first thing.

In regards to your post about the colors for ESB boba, I also like the slight teal/blueish tinge that is seen in some scenes most likely due to lighting and what not. I always felt that the cloud city/bespin hallway scenes and dining table scene had more natural lighting/ maybe a touch cooler than warm lighting and this has always been my starting point. It's important how you want the suit to look in natural lighting and what is just as important as the color is the balance and contrast between the colors. I tend to have a very slight teal look to my mixes but as stated before be sure to make mixes and paint your mixes together so you can see how they will react next to each other. Your eyes will play tricks on you so it's imperative that you try and eliminate as many variables as you can. Best of luck man, you do great work so I'm sure whatever you do decide will be nothing short of awesome ;)

Thank you! I will certainly run a variety of tests before I simply start spraying haha. I'll also be sure to post up what I find so I can get everyone's critiques and suggestions on them.

Jk guys.

So I had been planning on using RafalFett 's chest armor 3D models for my costume, but I came against an issue. Having printed the models as is, although they aren't flat by any means, relative to my body (with the flak vest on) they are pretty flat. So I adjusted the scaling to double the scaling of only the Y-axis, hopefully this will create a much better fit: (original model on bottom)

I'll simply cut off the extra edge this modification creates.

Screenshot 2018-02-03 21.33.43.png
Screenshot 2018-02-03 21.33.53.png
Screenshot 2018-02-03 21.34.10.png

Alright so I took a stab at finishing the girth belt.

I'm a thin dude (6', 160lbs) and so although I ordered the smallest genuine mohair belt I could, I was mostly still able to make the ends meet.

So, I used the hottest water I could and let it soak, and it shrunk a little. I figured with the bulk of the cod and kidney plate it should be fine.

IMG_8574.JPG

Next, I found some old wood stains and gave it a shot:

IMG_8591.JPG

I'm mostly concerned it might rub off, but I'll wait to find out after it's dried. I can't tell if I should try throwing in some red with a rattle can or something.

IMG_8592.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back