The Color Red (ROTJ)

Neo Fett

Active Hunter
I've searched the forums and Google for a definitive answer on the red color on the ROTJ helmet and the red for the gauntlets. Many of the potential forum topics return a 404 because of the upgrade so if the answer is out there I can't find it.

I'm looking for the color in Humbrol. Also, while I have your attention is Green 78/117 and Yellow 81 the correct colors for the armor?

The color of the mandibles and the gauntlet red are different colors. You want more of a brownish red for the helmet compared to a more red/maroon-ish color for the gauntlets.

I've heard of Floquil Caboose and a list mist of Humbrol Ocean Grey. I have also heard of British Crimson or Rock Island Maroon, but I haven't found Rock Island Maroon when searching. Also, Insignia Red and Boxcar mixed. The Boxcar is more of a brownish red / rust. I believe I've also read British Crimson mixed with the Boxcar before also....

I've heard of Floquil Caboose and a list mist of Humbrol Ocean Grey. I have also heard of British Crimson or Rock Island Maroon, but I haven't found Rock Island Maroon when searching. Also, Insignia Red and Boxcar mixed. The Boxcar is more of a brownish red / rust. I believe I've also read British Crimson mixed with the Boxcar before also....
I've heard of Floquil too but it seems hard to come by. Insignia Red I can probably get, but Humbrol makes a red of the same color. I am curious how that looks in person.

You can find it on ebay. Be sure to stay with the same paint for all layers (Enamel or Acrylic) they don't mix and you can't change on layers.
The British Crimson is easily available on ebay. I've bought a couple of them. Also, if you search floquil equal on the web you can find some color charts with different brand equivalent paint colors...

Rock Island Maroon right out of the bottle then weathered.
Mbj2KHC.jpg

Aer1muX.jpg

1YN0Gar.jpg

Lynn

The color of the mandibles and the gauntlet red are different colors. You want more of a brownish red for the helmet compared to a more red/maroon-ish color for the gauntlets.
I disagree weathering plays a role in the way your eye perceives it but the base red is the same in my opinion. Rock Island Maroon is the color you want....black top not white top. Theres two different formulas from what Ive found. H-73 is too maroon...it should be a lot more red then the 73 is.

I disagree weathering plays a role in the way your eye perceives it but the base red is the same in my opinion. Rock Island Maroon is the color you want....black top not white top. Theres two different formulas from what Ive found. H-73 is too maroon...it should be a lot more red then the 73 is.
I had to buy two different bottles of RIM BITD, there must have been a different color batches mixed within months of each other and they were both different. One was puke brown maroon and the other this one. There was a bunch of chatter BITD on this very subject and I was one of the unlucky ones to get the wrong bottle. I had to go two different hobby shops so I didn't get the same batch # on the bottle.
Lynn

My wearable Boba Fett circa 2001.
All painted with RIM, including the GF (George Fallano)helmet. Same RIM paint, just weathered different.
bHRuqh9.jpg

zOEV3x5.jpg

6qBVqvG.jpg

Even a pic with our forum founder Art Andrews, AKA Braks Buddy BITD.
rizW8Hy.jpg

yYH4ZSJ.jpg

My old Pre Pro helmet, I mixed a little something with the RIM to get this red color.
EuIX7vX.jpg

kCqzXJi.jpg

k8xXKGo.jpg

Lynn

Actually you may be right on that, although i would hesitate to use my precious floquil color there

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back