Non-toxic fillers and sealers?

Ninjamal

New Hunter
Hello, fellow costumers! I remember making my first post in September about helmet complications. So obviously, my EVA foam build didn't go so well. And after months of brainstorming and focusing on other parts, I have decided to go the thin cardboard route. This is by no means a screen-accurate build, so I'm going to go very low-budget on this Boba Fett helmet. Due to clumsiness and overall safety, I will not use Bondo filler or any fiberglass resin. I have seen a few tutorials where people use either lightweight spackling paste or wood filler for the dome and seams, then seal it with polycrylic sealer. What I came on here to ask is:

1. Which would work better between wood filler and spackling paste?

2. Could Mod Podge also work as an alternative to the polycrylic sealer?

3. Could layers of paper mache work to strengthen the helmet before filling and sealing?

4. Should I fill the inside of the helmet with whichever filler and Mod Podge as well?

Some tips would be awesome! Also, the same questions apply for the jetpack build! Thanks!

I know wood filler is quite brittle, and takes very long to dry if applied thick, also is kinda expensive for bulk use. I haven't worked with spackling specifically before, but I think it's just a pre-mixed drywall compound isn't it? If you were forced to choose only between these two I'd prolly go with that, I know people manage to make relief sculptures with it and stuff, so I imagine it's a good bit stronger. I really question how well either will handle any sort of flexing though that the cardboard will inevitably give, I can see them both crumbling off very easily. Usually I recommend stuff like apoxie sculpt for people looking for non-toxic alternatives to bondo, but I'm not sure how well it would adhere to cardboard. Maybe a paste-like paper mache mix would work well?

I've used Mod Podge as a EVA foam sealant before, it's nice because it's sandable. It's pretty much just elmers glue with some sorta extra hardening compound in it that lets it dry super solid, so it'll work great with cardboard. I haven't used polycrylic before, but I assume it's just a non-toxic alternative to polyurethene, which will work too, but it'll probably be really runny. Wood finishes are generally very thin and intended for flat horizontal application.

Internal filling is very usefully for providing stability and rigidity, if this is gonna be a wear helmet though it can take up valuable internal space for your head and internal accessories. It's sorta a careful balance.

Whatever different materials you choose though, try to use all of the same one or at least ones that have similar sandability qualities. The difference between lumpy and beautifully smooth helms is 100% the amount of sanding that goes into it, it probably takes up 90% of the time that goes into a good build. Having materials that sand differently or gum up papers quickly can make that experience a nightmare.

If you want cheep and simple I have experimented with wall filler mixed with PVA before, its still holding strong a year later on my very first helmet build..... a little tough to sand but what isn't :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back