Newbie - helmets materials used

beckles1111

New Hunter
Hello all! I'm new here and interested in making a boba fett helmet.

I was wondering the best material (foam, sintra, cardboard) that you thinks looks best. What type of paints do you recommend?

Last edited:
Welcome!

For ultrabudget builds I think cardstock pepakura gives much better results than EVA foam builds.

For normal builds I prefer sintra, as being a thermoplastic it allows for some heat forming and it superglues and sands very easily (wear a respirator with a good multi-gas filter though, heating or sanding PVC is not lung friendly). I have seen some amazing cardboard builds too though, and other materials, it's really just a matter of what you're most comfortable working with.

For painting, rattlecans are perfectly fine for trooping level jobs, some of more accurate colors though can be glosses, so you have to clearcoat flat after to equalize it all out. If you already have a compressor and airbrush, then you can of course go with that. Acrylic and enamel can both give great results, but personally I like to spray enamels and brush acrylics. Have good ventilation and wear a mask.

Last edited:
Welcome!

For ultrabudget builds I think cardstock pepakura gives much better results than EVA foam builds.

For normal builds I prefer sintra, as being a thermoplastic it allows for some heat forming and it superglues and sands very easily (wear a respirator with a good multi-gas filter though, heating or sanding PVC is not lung friendly). I have seen some amazing cardboard builds too though, and other materials, it's really just a matter of what you're most comfortable working with.

For painting, rattlecans are perfectly fine for trooping level jobs, some of more accurate colors though can be glosses, so you have to clearcoat flat after to equalize it all out. If you already have a compressor and airbrush, then you can of course go with that. Acrylic and enamel can both give great results, but personally I like to spray enamels and brush acrylics. Have good ventilation and wear a mask.

That is alot of great tips. Thank you so much!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back