My Zam so far....

Poppers are better know as snaps here in the states. ;)

Hopefully your question wasn't sarcasm, or I just made myself look dumb! :lol:facepalm

Nope :) In all seriousness, I am rarely sarcastic. :) When he said plastic poppers, it threw me off, most of the zam "poppers" were metal, with the exception of ones that were unseen ~ Most of us can't see them to know if they actually used plastic ones, so it wouldn't have made that much of a difference. Example: back of the shin gaurds were metal snaps. So now I know, poppers are snappity snaps :) thanks. I'm used to "poppers" meaning an appetizer that is bitesize and "pops" into your mouth. ;) Yum, jalepeno poppers !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, poppers, press studs. Tomato, tomato ;) lol

These little things.
The ones we used were 15mm. (smaller for the thumb plate) They're very flat, hand sewn and seem to hold up well

clearpresstuds.jpg

Yep. That's the beauty of these things. glue on one side (they've got a large surface area and are plastic anyway) and sew to the other.

I was wondering what the heck "poppers" were too!! But was too ashamed to ask! :lol: :lol:

Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing that!!! s

hey ZIA, could you throw me a picture reference number...im curious as ive checked the disk i got and cant find any shots of the way the handguards are attached...thanks

they are in there somewheres. I used industrial velcro, but they did sew it or punctured it through with a wire.
DSC04349,DSC04350

I was wondering what the heck "poppers" were too!! But was too ashamed to ask! :lol: :lol:

Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing that!!! s

yeah :rolleyes I have to always do the embarrassing stuff first , don't I? ;) Like walk in tandy leather store with a bunch of customers with my life sized cardboard cut out in order to get leather measurements for you all! :lol:

ah yes DSC0439, good spot pet :)

Ah well, too late now. LOL
The only reason I used poppers was just incase we needed to put them onto another glove.
I used 4. 2 for each bit. the thumb bits are smaller though. So I used 2 sizes in all
2 large ones for the hands and then a smaller one plus a tiny tiny baby little one to keep the thumb bit level

Oh, Yvonne, thanks for losing all street cred and making a total fool of yourself by walking into Tandy's with a Zam standee. LOL. Ace dedication

Tomorrow is Becky's Zam debut............................................

Watch it all fall apart now

dont jinx yoursleves! LOL good luck becky!!!

ZIA, i saw those pics when looking but they really arn't totally decisive on the method. i almost kindof looks like someone epoxied some pins to the back of the handplates and then used the pin to go through the glove...like those flat back pin backs you can get...that may be another option if the velcro doesnt hold, but like i said...never had a problem and my stormtrooper gloves where the same way...velcro to the glove and velcro to the abs...worked great regardless of the hot temp in the costume

We'll all be cheering for you Becky!! Good luck tomorrow!!! (y) (y)

Don't feel too bad ZIA... last time I was at Tandy, the guy asked me what I was working on and I told him a Zam Wesell costume. He looked at me blankly. I said a Star Wars costume. He still looked blank and informed me he never watched Star Wars! :rolleyes :lol: :lol: He probably thought the heat had finally gotten to me... only 115 that day! ;)

ah yes DSC0439, good spot pet :)

Ah well, too late now. LOL
The only reason I used poppers was just incase we needed to put them onto another glove.
I used 4. 2 for each bit. the thumb bits are smaller though. So I used 2 sizes in all
2 large ones for the hands and then a smaller one plus a tiny tiny baby little one to keep the thumb bit level

Oh, Yvonne, thanks for losing all street cred and making a total fool of yourself by walking into Tandy's with a Zam standee. LOL. Ace dedication

Tomorrow is Becky's Zam debut............................................

Watch it all fall apart now

Actually, I find that snaps are really awesome for many other parts too ~ never used plastic poppers, but are a little more permanent too with the added "removable" quality. Great idea. I never used sanps for the hand plates or thumbguards. I wish I could've saved my thumbguards by using snaps instead of using industrial velcro. I used metal snaps (although the real costume used magnets for some pieces) for alot of the my pieces and they have stayed well - my chest plating top back, my 5 greeblies, the shinguards, hmmm, can't remember what else, don't understand why I didn't use snaps for the thumbguards and handplates... Would've made sense to, right? :lol:

Oh, btw, if you have poppers and if they act like the metal snaps, you shouldn't have any worries. Good Luck with tomorrow! Or is it today for all of you Uk'ers? Just make sure to have her jump around and act like a nut ~ that's always a good costuming parts test. :lol:

Oh since you said that you might be using another set of gloves ~ You might want to stay with the poppers idea. I think I remember doing a test with pins and sewing it with the glove on my first set - and my problem with durability for costume wearing was that I didn't sew it correctly and the threads came lose, and there was an "unevenness" and felt funny as I tried to lay the handguard flat on top of the glove, the hand plate was more straight than curved so it couldn't "hide" the pins as well. Also, my first set of gloves were too thin and I was afraid they would rip under the stress. Or, you could have it better fastened than I did and use the pins next time fer accuracy ;)

I like that there are more options for fastening things, but one thing is for sure, I don't think Leeanna put as much stress on her costume as we will have with ours.

Becky's first troop went well. Nothing fell off and a few members public told her 'it was just a job' So at least some knew who she was

Amazing to see how your own costume changes in different light!!!!
This makes me think Yvonne got the right neoprene actually. Some look dark, some look pale but I've seen both these tones before :)
DSCF1959.jpg

Shawn of the Dead, Yarp guy.
DSCF1955.jpg

There are a few minor tweaks to do before CE. But nothing major

she is looking great! congrads on your first zam troop...bet there were a ton of ear to ear grins under that veil!

Becky you look AWESOME!!!! (y) (y) !!!!

I bet you never thought this day would come!!! Congratulations girl!!! :D :D Both you and John did a fantastic job on costume!!! (y)

Now we can't wait to see the pics from Celebration Europe and that costume contest... *nag nag nag* ;)

That is a amazing Zam. It seriously looks awesome. Its nice to hear of nothing going awry on a first troop. Great pics by the way.

That looks awesome! :cheers Great job!! And you're right about the comments. It's nice when someone knows who Zam is. Kathy gets a lot of "purple lady" comments or sometimes it's Zam "Weasel" ;)

Seriously though I can understand the relief of finally finishing it and the sense of accomplishment!! (y)

Truly amazed here. It is obvious that "The Sniffer" himself will never do a Zam costume, however, he can admire the talent and beauty from afar. It is always a pleasure to see what comes from this board. Thanks for letting "yours truly" lurk here without giving him the boot! All of you are extremely talented.

The Sniffer Abides . . .

That is one AWESOME looking ZAM! :cheers It looks great beside Boba and the stormtroopers. Pair up with a Jango at an event somewhere and you've got a real treat for us Star Wars nuts. :)

Looks like all the blood, sweat, tears and money paid off. (y)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back