My Zam Project Progress

I'll have to check...im sure its cow but im not sure of the type:lol:lol:

I know lacing the skirt is not an easy task! got one row done in about 45 minutes after i fugured out the pattern...still can not figure out the outside edge pattern though...anyone know where the picture is of that of could someone give me a hint...

here is the start of the skirt showing with the other colors we got going...

normal_colorshot.jpg

normal_progress5.jpg

you can see the new hose attached to the armor as well...it's long but i did that on purpose..will cut to proper length when we hook it up to the finished vest...

so the more we lace, the less im liking the length of the skirt...I think we will end up adding about 4-5 rows at the waist area...at least that way the tie ins for the lace will be hidden near jamie's butt and not in the area exposed to view...the overlapping is causing a lot more issues than expected...all i can say is you girls who used the same measurments i did (dont remember where they came from or who made up the 2 1/8 length) but you'all must be short!:lol:lol:

Jamie and i think that keeping the same 21/8 size will keep the look of the skirt the way it should be, so we will just add soem to the top like i mentioned so it hangs low enough..:(:(:(:rolleyes

here is a shot...whats everyones opinion on the length?

normal_skirtlace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to go down to just below the back of the knee in the back (1 1/2" to 2" or so? - at least according to the life-size standee I'm looking at) It's hard to tell from the angle you took the above photo, but it doesn't really look that "off" to me, maybe another row at the top.

But... I did make all my skirt squares 2 1/4" high and I'm 5'5" to gauge any difference between the measurements.

actually i measured them they are also 2 1/4...she is 5'6", so maybe one more row at the top and then the belt to hold it in place...
that shot is also pretty much straight on from the side/front...i got down on the floor to make sure i was showing actual length to where it hits her leg...

the funny thing is it must be something with optical illusions cause when i hold it in my habd it looks like its the right size for a barbie doll..LOL but up against her it does look almost right...weird

So what kind of lace is it?

i checked my invoice and this is what i got...

its called lace bulk ind tan 72"X1/4"

the item number from montana leather is 1590075

just dont do what i did and not buy enough...i calculated wrong thinking every two rows was a down and up rather than one row so i need to order more...I bought 10 but needed 16:p:facepalm they are 2.50 USD each so if you do the right calculation the first time it should cost you about $50 usd for what you need...;)

Looks cool to me dude!
Isn't it theraputic? Try to mix the colours up so you don't get shade patches.

Lengths about right. I think the test is, does it just about touch the floor when she crouches down. Promoshot style :)

ya...the length is turing out to be okay...we are just going to add one more row to the top and it should be good...

it's really weird on the color scheme cause it actually looks totally different in person...plus we added some mahogany antiquing to the whole thing thus far and it really ties in the colors we are looking for and makes it look less obvious on the differences

Thanks for the info... I haven't decided on mine yet... I have enough lace. More than enough lace. But, it's darker than I wanted it to be. :angry That's what happens when I inhale dye fumes all day and wait for the lace for last... If I do another batch, I have to buy more dye and solvent... gads... *grumbles*

I don't care what color scheme you're aiming for... the color always looks different in person than it does in pictures. I swear it not only changes with time of day and lighting, but with the phase of the moon too! ;)

so true...i will tell you this...i used leather paint for the lace and used a mix or lilac and burgundy 1:1 ratio...i used the same thing for the shins...i went with the paint for two reasons...it covers quick and gets the color you want without question and regardless of the color of the leather you start with...that way all the pieces you want to be a certain color will indeed....match...and it weather nice as i pulled it through the holes as well...i also will cover all the painted pieces with arcyllic matte finisher used for the leather paint...makes it waterproof and flattens the color...i will actually use that for all leather pieces evne the dyed stuff...works for it all and it wont change the color other than making it a matte finish. I also used mahongany antique leather rubbing on everthing after dying and painting which gave it a slight purple-ish/red color

here is a shot of the skirt with the new row added...still need to finish lacing...we had to order more lace as we calculated short...got 8 more rows to go:rolleyes

normal_skirtprogressback.jpg

and here is a kneeling shot for reference on the new length...

normal_skirtprogresskneel.jpg

ya...we bought a standard leather belt that will be attached to the top row

i was actually thinking about putting some snaps or velcro on the belt and then putting the velcro or snaps on the cummerbund belt as well to keep it even with the skirt

so i had some extra leather from the skirt stuff and got tired of waiting on the delivery of my holster from my leather guy...I figured I would give it a go...came out pretty good i think..just needs some color now...

normal_holster.jpg

so i wanted to post some pictures of the holster after the paint job...still have to cover it with flat acyllic sealer...i also have a picture of the colors we've used thus far for the rest of the costume...i would say the hardest part of this costume is making the various leathers match the color pallette we chose....I took these with no flash to get it as close to the real deal as possible but even that still depends on the lighting ambiance in the room...among other things as we all know:lol:lol::lol:

normal_finishedholster.jpg

normal_colorprogress.jpg

Looks pretty good to me - all the parts seem to go together very well. (y) (Except those orange things... which took me a minute to figure out was electrical cord and not part of the costume! :lol: :lol: )

Oh and it was new moon yesterday don't forget to take that into account for the coloring! :lol:

HA...i know huh? thats me mr. organization...i got everything where it should be...just ask jamie...:lol:lol::lol:

there is a method to my madness...even if i do make 8 trips up and down the stairs looking for a flat head screwdriver that was sitting on the bookshelf(that i had just used 5 minutes earlier...):lol:lol::lol:

just about...basically waiting on mon cal's shipment of the gauntlets and the helmet then we should be in good shape

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back