Merkava74's HIC build

What did you use for the end of the box.The black containers?I'm getting ready to mess with side panels.You're build is great and thanks for research on side panels.

Thanks! Sorry, but I really forgot who I got the black boxes from. It's definitely a seller in here. It's been many years since I bought it.

Thanks! Sorry, but I really forgot who I got the black boxes from. It's definitely a seller in here. It's been many years since I bought it.
Ok.What about your clips on your side panels.Where did you find those?Your Han is perfect.Thanks for your help.

Ok.What about your clips on your side panels.Where did you find those?Your Han is perfect.Thanks for your help.

You can find the clips here:

I just received a set of clips from them, they’re definitely worth the $100. I have two other sets that I had accumulated over the years, these ones are on point.

So after a long break due to real life, I am back on the project. Started to tackle the 6 non-hero panels. As mentioned at the beginning, it is impossible to find a definitive resource of "accurate" panels, since they were swopped around, greeblies falling off and reattached elsewhere, and the distinctive differences of the panels between the Carbonite chamber room, the corridor, and then ROTJ unfreezing scene. So with that, here's my take.

The panels were sprayed black, and the windows were aluminium sheets. One for the square, and one for the rest of the windows as I could not find aluminium sheets of the right length.

The rings were cut from an aluminium tube, and the "buttons" were some stainless steel electrical wire sleeves I found. The big round disc and several other small greeblies were from shapeways. Decals were vinyl stickers made by me.

92953223_10157341040357781_68691297455570944_o copy.jpg

So after a long break due to real life, I am back on the project. Started to tackle the 6 non-hero panels. As mentioned at the beginning, it is impossible to find a definitive resource of "accurate" panels, since they were swopped around, greeblies falling off and reattached elsewhere, and the distinctive differences of the panels between the Carbonite chamber room, the corridor, and then ROTJ unfreezing scene. So with that, here's my take.

The panels were sprayed black, and the windows were aluminium sheets. One for the square, and one for the rest of the windows as I could not find aluminium sheets of the right length.

The rings were cut from an aluminium tube, and the "buttons" were some stainless steel electrical wire sleeves I found. The big round disc and several other small greeblies were from shapeways. Decals were vinyl stickers made by me.

View attachment 188454
Commenting just to let you know the following: wow. Its amazing how much effort you put into the research. Ill be going through the entire build, not because I intend to build a HIC myself but just to see your work and learn more about those minute details.

Commenting just to let you know the following: wow. Its amazing how much effort you put into the research. Ill be going through the entire build, not because I intend to build a HIC myself but just to see your work and learn more about those minute details.
Thank you! It was fun to try and trace those differences. Having said that, I know that my build will not be "screen accurate" in that I have taken some liberties in the final look and feel of it. But it's a really enjoyable journey!

And... all 8 panels are done!

IMG_1617.jpg

Well, I am still missing the green lamp on panel 5. But that's on the way. And I need to seal off the light leaks at the bottom of the hero panels. The LEDs' colours look off here, but it's probably due to my phone. They are correct: Red, White, Yellow, White, Yellow, White, Red.

The box was masked up, as I started to tackle Han and the carbonite area. Gave it a couple of coats of Gloss Black so that the silver later will pop.

IMG_4207.jpg

Next, the silver layer.

IMG_4219.jpg

And then the washing began. I wanted a heavy effect, so I liberally used black acrylic scrubbed it into every crease and fold of the figure and the carbonite, and wiped away.

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

Finally, unmasked the box and gave it a wash too, and the paintwork was completed. I know this might be too heavy, the carbonite too much, and some imperfections etc. But I am happy with my interpretation of how I would like it to be.

IMG_4258.jpg

One more step to go: installing the panels!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back