High End Licensed SW Armor / Costumes Coming Soon

Im sure it will be quality work. But id rather have fan made stuff any day of the week. Im also willing to bet the fan made will be a better price, and able to buy what you can aford at the time. Where youll have to have a chunk of cash to buy "Corporate America" Fett all at once.

But I didnt read it all so I could be wrong.

I think their stuff will be decent, maybe not up to the scrutiny of the hard core fan/501st member but probably more than good enough for the fan who's into it enough to want something more than a cheap Rubies Halloween costume. I suspect that costumers will probably still end up either making their own or buying it from people on sites like this and the RPF but I think that the vast majority of fans don't know about sites like this and there's better out there.

I see it this way, as long as their stuff isn't a total **** and too expensive it's a good way for people to get into costuming and the more serious ones will really get into it and want better and then we'd have one more member of the props & costuming community, one more person to share our hobby with. I see nothing wrong with making our hobby less exclusive, only for people who know where to look, who to talk to, and how to give the secret handshake. :D Of course this is from a purely hobbyists perspective and has nothing to do with 501st standards, something that I have no comment on since I'm not a member of the 501st and not looking to join either.

As far as price goes, chances are that no matter how good or bad this stuff is going to be it's probably not going to be cheap. Looking at other licensed props and costumes they are almost always overpriced and you can better and/or cheaper making it yourself or buying through the fan community. The problem almost certain arises from the licensing fees involved and since this sort of stuff isn't something that you can sell at your local Walmart it means that licensee is going to have to charge more to make up for the licensing fees, something that I'm sure is the reason things like the licensed zats from Stargate Props are so hideously overpriced.

Lastly, as to the quality of Windlass products; I have some items and they're not too bad. I own a rapier that's held up pretty well although it's used only for costuming but it's not fallen apart. On the other hand, I do have a USMC NCO sabre from them that's only so so and not as good as other sabres out there. It looks the part and is probably better than the ones you can find on eBay with the tassels but the blade is loose and wobbles in the grip and since its held to the grip with a flattened pommel nut there
s not a whole lot I can to do tighten it. Oh, I should probably also add that Windlass/MR doesn't seem to have the best reputation amongst re-enactors, they typically say that their stuff isn't very historically accurate but I haven't seen a whole lot mentioned about their quality.

I was sure i saw some photos of some of their prototype works. They looked rather low quality, but then again they were still at the stage considered proto.

So did they even announce a release date yet for these costumes? I check the website every so often and havne't seen any updates. Just wondering because I can't wait to see how disappointing they are to the public...yet charge and arm and a leg.

I don't post often on these boards and most people know why, but this subject just cracked me up. There is no way they will ever come out with high quality stuff that the 501st would approve. Even if they did that wouldn't be so bad anyway as it would cut the profit machine down. win/win for the costumer customer!

jon

well atleast the custom mandos have nothing to worry bout lmao:lol: and if anything some may buy these suits and make more customs,which may or may not be likely but individuality is the thing now a days so as the # of fetts increase the more likely that ppl are gonna do their own thing,ya'know?
course it all depneds on the price lmaoeither way,they fail/we win.the succed/...we kinda win so something good will come out either way...i hope:facepalm

Almost a year later, and still nothing really to show for it! Just how long are they going to wait to start SELLING stuff?

Anyway, I am optimistic that their stuff can at least provide a good base to build up from.

Almost a year later, and still nothing really to show for it! Just how long are they going to wait to start SELLING stuff?

Anyway, I am optimistic that their stuff can at least provide a good base to build up from.

I think the problem could be that it'll work out a very expensive base!

I think the soft costumes will be ok, however the hard costumes are a totally different proposition. I think theyve got their work cut out to produce an accurate costume within a professional mass-production environment - and make a profit.

It concerns me that that Iron Man helmet was so hugely inaccurate!

Cheers

Jez

While I wish Windlass the best of luck, I can't imagine this actually turning out too well. The prototypes they had at SDCC 2008 are some of the best I have seen... but without sounding like a bigot, have we ever seen a quality prop replica come out of India? If they pulled this off, it would be a first, at least that I know of. I am sure we haven't seen much progress on this because they are being hit by the economy like everyone else.

..and instead of having me work for them (which I formally proposed to them), they went with what they consider to be a more skilled and knowledgeable option, the 501st. :facepalm
No, I'm not kidding.

You could always work for me instead! I have dishes that need washing and laundry that needs folding. The last time I had the 501st do it, they just made a mess of things! Just say the word and I will send you a plane ticket!

Depending on what market they are going for, I can see the logic on using the 501st vs. Replicators/Collectors.

This has come up in conversation pretty often with some folks, but I'll state it here so that we have an established baseline.

I think there are sort of 2 ends of the spectrum of people in this hobby...

There are the Collectors/Replicators that want accuracy above all else. If there's a shard of glass sticking into the inside of the movie helmet, they want that glass in theirs too!

Then there are the Costumers. They want to look good, but will take a bigger than accurate helmet if it means having room for more fans, or will take bigger thighs if it means they can sit. They compromise on details to get comfort / wearability.

Most of us fall somewhere on that list. For example, I'd call myself somewhere around 3/4 of the way toward collector, but with that healthy 25% of costumer maintained for my own sanity.

I think the costumers are much easier to please. If it generally looks the part and is comfortable, they will often go for it.

The collectors are harder, since there is much more scrutiny on details that don't make sense to the executive who just wants to sell product.

If they are targeting the costumers, talking to the people that have the most experience with wearing, say, stormtrooper armor for 12 hour stretches.

Although their costumes are wearable, their target market is not solely the costumer. They even have plans to potentially offer mannequins to display the pieces on as well.

Just how accurate should a licensed mass produced costume/prop be?

I realize that some 'accurate' features are not suited for mass produced props/costumes. It's about having good judgement on where to draw that line. So far, I am not satisfied with the judgement I've seen.

We, not only as prop/costume enthusiasts, but as FANS should demand higher standards for the license holders. Make them work for your hard earned dollar I say. 99% of the time, there is no reason that pieces can't be more accurate without adding any additional cost. It's an issue of personal taste, or lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

I feel that museum replica's heart is in the right place, but have put together the wrong team and using the wrong resources for this endeavor. They believe they have it 'under control' but they don't know what they don't know.
As far as the trooper armor goes, I was told they enlisted help from 501st members which is a laughing stock. People are going to end up paying for steak, and end up getting hamburger.

I think it's going to be sideshow droids all over again when it comes to museum replicas. People will have high expectations, until their product pics hit the web and everyone starts pointing out all over the place where they dropped the ball. The company will look at their own production pieces and think they turned out fantastic, and be completely oblivious. So will a lot of unknowing fans I imagine.

No one wants to be the guy who spends big bucks on these (or any prop) because he was led to believe that they are just like the screen used (because that is an important criteria to him), only to find out later that they aren't.

Problem is, at their planned price points, loyal fans DESERVE accuracy and authenticity as advertised, both of which I feel museum replicas is not in a position to provide with it's current team and resources. :(

Problem is, at their planned price points, loyal fans DESERVE accuracy and authenticity as advertised, both of which I feel museum replicas is not in a position to provide with it's current team and resources. :(

Amen! Can you say "Rubies Supreme Stormtrooper" all over again? I hope they lost their shirts on that junk....

I see absolutely no problem with bringing in the best resource you can in terms of accuracy and quality and then scaling back based on logistics and desired margins. I have to do it with my clients all the time. And an expert might know better what elements should not be sacrificed versus where corners can be cut for the sake of mass production.

Gino would not have been a bad guy to have on your side in this instance.

I see absolutely no problem with bringing in the best resource you can in terms of accuracy and quality and then scaling back based on logistics and desired margins. I have to do it with my clients all the time. And an expert might know better what elements should not be sacrificed versus where corners can be cut for the sake of mass production.

EXACTLY!

Gino would not have been a bad guy to have on your side in this instance.

I appreciate that.
Imagine if it was my job to be your personal prop building robot programmed to provide you with the most accurate (within reason), quality props/costumes at the lowest costs possible. :p

There isn't anything in my personal collection that couldn't be made at the same price points (most likely less costly) than what we have seen and what is planned by Museum Replicas AS LONG AS it could be done in a production environment.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back