GeekdadX7 ROTJ WIP

GeekdadX7

Active Hunter
Because my superhero name would be Captain Procrastination, I guess I should finally get around to starting a WIP thread, after nearly 2 years here LMAO. :)
I'm just waiting on 2 last commissions to come in before I try submitting for 501st approval, so I was really hoping to try to get suit feedback before I post over to the bhg. I can't express enough how much I admire a bunch of you guys in here that have poured your hearts and souls into this forum and helping guys like me, so I wanted to get all of your critiques, so that I can try to nail down what I need to address first.

The last thing that I want, is to post over there and then have a 15 page thread of what I need to fix lol.
I'd rather have that here, better to look like a schmo BEFORE you head off for your job interview, so to speak :)

So, I'll post pics of stuff next week, when my kids are back in school and I have a few hours with an empty house during the day. But for the moment, I'll start compiling a list of what I have and who the builders and painters were.

Thank you in advance for any advice, feedback, tips, or suggestions. I'll take all of them, gladly. My goal is to get 501st approval eventually, because I REALLY want to be able to do the troops at childrens hospital los angeles, where my son was. I remember when he was there years ago as a newborn with his heart surgery. You're there for a long time.... then you go down to the lobby and see stormtroopers. Instant escape from all the chit you're in, I want to give that back.

So, here goes.
PS: If I forget to add any of the suit components in the following list, that I should have in it... please let me know. Thanks.

Helmet:
- Fettpride, cast and painted by Artakha, with aluminum stalk.

Armor:
- Fettpride V3, purchased from I thiiiiiiiiink it was chris4321 (I thiiiink *shrugs*), from the cargo hold early last year. I accidentally deleted the conversation, which said who made everything. It came with synthetic wookie braids, canvas cape, knees, backplate, cod/kidney and all the upper body armor. I unfortunately don't know the maker of the cape, though I was told it is the appropriate US army surplus canvas, as well as it has the stencil on it. had it all sent to Artakha to be repainted, so it would be consistent with his helmet.
ROTJ Chest display by hotpockets.

Gauntlets:
- Artakha sculpt and paintjob. upgraded with metal darts, as well as accurate light on the rocket gaunt, and plunger switches. Hinge closure.

Jetpack:
- DVH jetpack, painted by Artakha for consistency. Upgraded with homing beacon from machine craft.

Jetpack Harness:
- Quality JP Harness Kit from Bigdane

Gloves:
- by Major

Flight Suit:
- By Clothears, with attached neck seal, purchased from funkyred (thanks funk!) I originally purchased, and still have, RKD's personal flight suit, but it no longer fits me.

Armor Vest:
- Not sure of the maker, it was RKD's

Ammo Belt:

Girth Belt:

Hip Pouches:
- Not sure of the maker, the were RKD’s. I did have to dye one offwhite though, to match the new requirements.

Boots:
- CA Boots with aluminum toe spikes

EE3:
- Not sure of the maker, it was RKD's EE3, and it is heavy as sin. lol

Shin Tools:
- I have just recently commissioned a painted set of shin tools, so that I can have accurate ones.

Ankle Spats:
- Not sure of the maker.

Wookie Braids:
- Woodman

I'll post pics asap.
If anyone could please let me know of any issues you might see from this list, please let me know. I have no idea where my cape is from because it came with the armor. It is green canvas and has the US Army print on it, but not sure what other info needs to be provided for it.

-edit-
I will greeeeatly appreciate ANY feedback, even if it comes out that I end up needing to completely buy a new piece of gear to replace something horrible, I'll do it without complaining.

-edit edit-
Artakha's original build/paint thread for my armor, helmet, jetpack and gaunts can be found in the following thread:
---> Armor, Jetpack, Gauntlets, oh my! for GeekdadX7

Artahka’s build thread has tons of detailed pics of all the painted pieces in it.

Last edited:
Geekdad, I can relate to your Super Hero label that you've referred to. I'm in a similar boat and just haven't had the time to devote
to building as needed. I did see a post fairly recently on Boochman's thread that Jdubz listed that sounds like a Great way to help out
a bunch of folks that are seeking 501st approval. The BHG has a Fugitive Recovery Pre-Approval Program, as Jdubz describes, they basically work with you on your build and once everything is sufficient for the Basic Level, they contact the GML directly to let them know of their review of your
costume. Here's the link - Sign In - The Bounty Hunters Guild
I think this is a fantastic way to help out and reduce the stress of trying to get headed in the right direction with your Fett!!
Thank You Jdubz for posting this link !!!! (y)

Hey geekdad! Link to the aforementioned comments here: BoochmaN's ROTJ WIP

very helpful comments from JDubz for sure. Wish I had the comments BEFORE I did some of the parts, but no matter; I can still go back and refine them for approval!

Welcome to the hell named ROTJ. :lol:

As hvacdon rightly suggested, start a thread in the Fugitive Recovery program at BHG where you will receive all the clarifications you need to get approved.

All the best!

Hi guys. It's been so damned long since I've been in here. After covid hit and all that, last year, getting my suit finished lost priority. After having to miss out on an actual 501st troop that was 5 minutes from my house today... because I never got off my ass and finished my build... I'd like to post the last pictures I'd taken of myself suited up, to get some opinions from you guys of what I need to work on.

I'm doing this here, because I want to get YOUR feedback, and get kinks worked out, before moving on to TBHG forums for submitting.
THese pictures were taken the last time that I was able to get fully suited up, a few months before all the covid shut downs last year.

SINCE THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN...
I replaced the left hip pouch, with the proper light beige one, rather than the brown one thats' pictured.
I've also commissioned artahka, the 'gent who painted all of my armor... to make me a new chest piece that has an actual dent in it. I just need to send him my armor after halloween (I still want wear it then lol), so he can color match.

Other than the missing chest dent on the right chest plate, and the 2 brown hip pouches... pleeeease let me know of anything you see that's glaring that I should try to target. Thank you very much in advance.

Oh... and I wasn't wearing the boba thong, because the danged thing kept unclipping... so I removed it for that day.

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

NOTES:
That big, glaring white chunk in the middle of the the collar, right under my chin... my collar armor cracked in half and that paint snapped off. Artahka is making me a new collar.

question... does my jetpack need to be a little lower? or is this ok.

Last edited:
Hi guys. It's been so damned long since I've been in here. After covid hit and all that, last year, getting my suit finished lost priority. After having to miss out on an actual 501st troop that was 5 minutes from my house today... because I never got off my ass and finished my build... I'd like to post the last pictures I'd taken of myself suited up, to get some opinions from you guys of what I need to work on.

I'm doing this here, because I want to get YOUR feedback, and get kinks worked out, before moving on to submitting.
THese pictures were taken the last time that I was able to get fully suited up, a few months before all the covid shut downs last year.

SINCE THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN...
I replaced the left hip pouch, with the proper light beige one, rather than the brown one thats' pictured.
I've also commissioned artahka, the 'gent who painted all of my armor... to make me a new chest piece that has an actual dent in it. I just need to send him my armor after halloween (I still want wear it then lol), so he can color match.

Other than the missing chest dent on the right chest plate, and the 2 brown hip pouches... pleeeease let me know of anything you see that's glaring that I should try to target. Thank you very much in advance.

Oh... and I wasn't wearing the boba thong, because the danged thing kept unclipping... so I removed it for that day.

View attachment 215882

View attachment 215883

View attachment 215884

View attachment 215885

View attachment 215886

NOTES:
That big, glaring white chunk in the middle of the the collar, right under my chin... my collar armor cracked in half and that paint snapped off. Artahka is making me a new collar.

question... does my jetpack need to be a little lower? or is this ok.
In my opinion, it should be a little lower. From what I’ve done and seen is the JP rocket is just about even with the top of the helmet, so that you really can’t see it from the front.

In my opinion, it should be a little lower. From what I’ve done and seen is the JP rocket is just about even with the top of the helmet, so that you really can’t see it from the front.
Yeah I was thinking that too.
It kinda looked like a Titan rocket was sticking up over my head lol

GeekdadX7
First off, great looking build you got going on here. I know when I first started my journey, I kept telling myself, should be done in a few months. And maybe I could have but I kept upselling myself into better and better stuff. This hobby is honestly like a drug, super addicting and expensive. But I had a mission to have this done by the following Halloween. I started in November 2019 and finished pretty much on October 31st, 2020. And even now I'm still upgrading and changing stuff out.

For my only comments:
1) The three gauntlet hoses could do with some more browning/weathering.
2) To my knowledge the ROTJ Boba Fett Hero didn't have the Survival Knife for shin tools.
3) Them Wookie Braids seem to be missing the pineapple knots and also supposed to have a grey braid hanging out the back (unless my eyes deceive me - and that is a grey braid).
4) It's been called out, but the black nylon on the Girth Belt in back should be sewn on - and not more than 3-4" in total length as per the 501st CRL guidelines. (I'm one to talk though, I think mine is about 5-6" apart - hahaha! Meaning, I should get a bigger belt or lose some weight ;))

But it looks freaking awesome!

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FEEDBACK, thusfar!!! :)
1. Will definitely address the jetpack being too high. Will get new webbing, to redo the length of the straps going over my shoulders, so it'll sit lower.
2. Shin Tools, roger that.
3. Wookie Braids, forgot to mention, I ordered woodman's ROTJ wookie braids and have them in my garage, COMPLETELY forgot that I had them. I need to put those on. Thank you for the reminder. The pictured ones came with the used set of armor. I'll definitely get those woodman ones on.
4. Will weather the hoses for sure. Dang those things are stiff. Ive heard that heating/reheating them with a heat gun makes them a bit more pliable... hoping that works too.
5. Will get longer webbing for the girth belt, and will find the tutorial in here for how to fasten it properly.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help.

GeekdadX7
Yeah those hoses are incredibly stiff. And in looking for those hoses from the local hardware store (Lowes), I landed on a roll that wasn't quite as thick (Outer diameter) as most. It took a little extra work - but wasn't hard to do. But I was able to simply ream the insides of the hose out so that the hoses inner diameter would fit around those Gauntlet tubes - with still a nice snug fit.
Hose Reaming.jpg

The 501st doesn't make ANY mention of the outer diameter or inner diameter measurements of the tubes. For me, the biggest take-away's were that they needed to have that Cross-Hatch Thread Pattern and be Heavily Weathered.
1633287238766.png

I don't know if having a smaller outer diameter for the hoses aided in it's flexibility or if soaking it in hot coffee (to weather it) made it flexible. But I didn't and don't seem to have an issue maneuverability of my right arm.

But yeah the Coffee trick staining worked out great for me! I soaked em' for three days in Starbucks traveler size of Pike Place Roast blend that I dumped into a container.
Starbucks Traveler and Staining Bin.jpg

After three days of sitting in that bath, I rinsed them off and dried them off. The paper towels I used to dry them off with were not brown either, so the staining I knew was permanent. In fact, here is a comparison with the hoses stained and the new roll in which they came from....
Gauntlet Hoses.jpg

I lightly misted them with a darker brown and black and was able to come up with this....
Gauntlet Pic.JPG

Best of luck,
-Iron

GeekdadX7
Yeah those hoses are incredibly stiff. And in looking for those hoses from the local hardware store (Lowes), I landed on a roll that wasn't quite as thick (Outer diameter) as most. It took a little extra work - but wasn't hard to do. But I was able to simply ream the insides of the hose out so that the hoses inner diameter would fit around those Gauntlet tubes - with still a nice snug fit.
View attachment 215907

The 501st doesn't make ANY mention of the outer diameter or inner diameter measurements of the tubes. For me, the biggest take-away's were that they needed to have that Cross-Hatch Thread Pattern and be Heavily Weathered.
View attachment 215911

I don't know if having a smaller outer diameter for the hoses aided in it's flexibility or if soaking it in hot coffee (to weather it) made it flexible. But I didn't and don't seem to have an issue maneuverability of my right arm.

But yeah the Coffee trick staining worked out great for me! I soaked em' for three days in Starbucks traveler size of Pike Place Roast blend that I dumped into a container.
View attachment 215908

After three days of sitting in that bath, I rinsed them off and dried them off. The paper towels I used to dry them off with were not brown either, so the staining I knew was permanent. In fact, here is a comparison with the hoses stained and the new roll in which they came from....
View attachment 215910

I lightly misted them with a darker brown and black and was able to come up with this....
View attachment 215909

Best of luck,
-Iron
Dude! Awesome tip on the hoses! Thanks

Loooong time no update to this thread.
I was just emailed a few of the photographs the event organizers took, from the 5k costume walk/run i participated in on Sunday.

I know they aren’t close up 360 degree coverage photos, but was hoping that you guys might be able to observe anything in them, which is glaringly obvious, which needs correcting.

Because of the damage to my backplate while helping at the event on Friday, I won’t be able to submit for approval till next year now, so… it’ll give me more time to try and fix anything else.

Once again, this is supposed to be for a standard ROTJ build.

Sorry I don’t have any pics of the back.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, comments or questions about anything you might notice.

PS: my ‘runner number’ is the paper clipped onto my cape.

966DC911-0C3D-4874-951D-042B9F44D370.jpeg
29F3D59F-0855-403E-990F-B464A8990F9D.jpeg
FB72F28D-446B-4471-BF9E-74E7AD255D38.jpeg
F67B001B-2DE2-4DB0-A7B8-FF559412ADE7.jpeg
F3D4BD5D-1F60-404A-9941-74DD369F4247.jpeg

- note -
Things I've changed/worked on after last posting, a year ago, and getting your prior feedback.

1. Dyed 1 of the hip pouches to be the appropriate off white, instead of both of them being brown.
2. Added the dent on the right chest plate that was missing before.
3. Lowered the jetpack harness a couple inches, so the tip of the jetpack wouldn't be standing over my helmet like a SpaceX rocket.
4. Weathered the right gauntlet hoses.
5. Added more weathering to the jumpsuit (does it still need more?)
6. Added Woodman's wookie scalps.

Last edited:
Looks really good man! The only thing I've noticed is your right gauntlet seems a little over weathered when compared to the 501st pic, other than that I think it looks great.

Looks really good man! The only thing I've noticed is your right gauntlet seems a little over weathered when compared to the 501st pic, other than that I think it looks great.
Thanks!
I was worried about that.
My right gaunt has gotten pretty scraped up over the past couple years.

For that kind of touch up, CAAAAAN it be touched up, or does the whole gaunt pretty much need to be repainted, typically.

I personally always try to touch up before I go for a full repaint. The way I look at it, you can always do a repaint if things aren't turning out the way you want. :)

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back