BoochmaN's ROTJ WIP

We dont know each other well, Booch. Barely even by all standards. But I always enjoyed your balanced contributions to the forum, even before I created an account.
Stay safe. And keep those around you safe. Get well.
Thanks for the positive vibes RamSkirata - all is good on the family front. Gotta keep my wife healthy cause baby#3 is coming in a month!

Just found this thread today and I'm so impressed and inspired. Sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery! Hang in there.
Thanks jedisushi - I see you’re a new member here. Welcome the the nuthouse...hahahaha!

This community is incredible, and I only hope that my photos and ramblings are organized enough for someone that’s just starting out, to be able to learn from my mistakes and gain some information!

Boochman
Sorry to hear that bud! I hope it'll be over for ya soon so you can get back to life. If I hadn't said it before, Congrats on the new kiddo! You'll have to greet your youngling with your bucket on, as this is the way!

-Iron

ARMOR ATTACHMENT - CLUTCHBACK PREP:
I got some fresh air today out in the garage. Dremeled the posts off the back of the armor leaving the heads epoxied in place. I then dremeled into the heads so that the clutchbacks could be “recessed” slightly.

I setup a small assembly line, and used an initial dab of Loctite to hold the heads in place, and came back through with JB Weld. I read that you need to mix up small batches so it doesn’t start to cure. I did all of the armor, the thrusters, the Jetpack rocket base/ collar, and some greeblies on the Jetpack using 5 batches!

I think the vest still needs to be tailored a bit, but I figured I can get the armor placed, figure out how much needs to be hemmed on the bottom, how much to take in on the sides, and get the Jetpack harness slots done all at the same time!
DB9D9A4E-E187-477A-8350-68C7B6EC1CCF.jpeg
13A16041-0CC4-4ABE-B8BC-001AF1CB861A.jpeg
6F601793-82A2-47B1-9A3A-5AB2F0C5A425.jpeg
5055067D-ADF5-4A88-A3C9-D8763FD0AA3C.jpeg
E7A9DD18-D271-4D99-B6A7-B38BA56DC478.jpeg
2F8654BD-7DF7-4A3F-B612-E6B5DD8229E9.jpeg
7831A96D-ED76-4EA4-9C7F-2FA54C076AF9.jpeg

Was that ladybug helping you out much? :lol:
So...

I’m quarantined to the basement, and the pool table became my workbench. I did a round of gluing, waited for it to set up, and did another round. I watched TV in between and I come back over and the lady bug had landed on the armor AFTER walking or flying into the epoxy!

If it was any other bug, I would have picked it off. This little lady was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and will now be worn under my chest plate forever, hahahaha. I’ll never forget this time in my life, the uncertainty and chaos of this pandemic accompanied by joy and happiness for the new house and new baby; this lady bug will be a peaceful reminder of everything that was going on at the time!

So...

the lady bug had landed on the armor AFTER walking or flying into the epoxy!

If it was any other bug, I would have picked it off. This little lady was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and will now be worn under my chest plate forever, hahahaha.

But is the ladybug a 501st approved component? :p

-Iron

ARMOR ATTACHMENT - SPACING:
It was a good feeling being able to anchor the armor to the vest, finally. I did it once and was not happy with the placement, or the relationship of the armor to the shoulders.

I took my time the second time around and reconfigured to a point where I think the spacing between the plates looks good, distance to the bottom of the vest is good (about 1/2”), and collar distance looks good (I kept “flattening” it out to plan for when back armor gets attached to it.

I am not sure about the shoulders. The spacing looks and feels right, but the cut of the ribbed portion of the vest I’m thinking needs to be altered. There is NO WAY I can position the shoulders aligned as shown in the reference image, without making them way too low. Anyone have experience with this? Is there a trick to making this work...?

I got “fully suited up” tonight too, out of pure excitement...
8D4F7AB4-3703-4EDD-AA9C-222409CB2484.jpeg
ABA849F2-17AD-45DE-88EA-D7D40BF2FF76.jpeg
DC93B1B4-ECF6-4187-95EF-6F4838D8312A.jpeg
640CD246-F89D-4CF3-8E85-14E9FFE7ADAA.jpeg

Looking awesome! I think perhaps the flak vest is just a little big in the shoulders and chest? The shoulder seam is sitting beyond/below your actual shoulder by a bit. Although the "sleeves" do look a bit longer than in the LFL photo, I suspect you're right that a bit of adjustment may have more impact.

Looking great Boochman!!
I did notice.
It seems like your flack jacket shoulders come down quite a bit more than the reference photo. I think this is why you are having problems with the shoulder armor alignment.
My shoulder armor is not perfectly lined up either, but the 501st didn't point this out and I never noticed.
Before you have any alterations done to the flack vest make sure you suit up with your jet pack harness.
Mine makes a big difference in the way it fits. I have the Big Dane scuba harness which is a little bulky under the flack vest.

I also have the harness from big dane, and I imagine it will take up SOME space in the vest. Also, I put this on myself and only could velcro the very top and bottom of the vest, so there is some slack for sure!

My issue is with the spacing of the armor itself, I think it looks appropriate. But when I look at the relationship of the ribbed sleeve portion to the chest armor; that’s where I think it needs to be adjusted.

If I bring the yellow arrow up to the red arrow, then it will have the same relationship to the chest armor. Used some markups to show the relationship I’m describing.

Any other thoughts? I’ve adjusted the shoulders every way possible...
1AD15502-DD85-4BBB-80E6-4E300109C1BF.jpeg
97E367DE-492D-4A63-9F40-31A62E7ED7FA.jpeg

Like Lazerjock , I suggest wearing the harness under the vest and closing the vest up tight. This will determine if your vest is too wide along the shoulders which could explain the bunching up. Your vest sleeves also look like they're a tad too long. The top corners of your shoulder armor are where they should be, so you just have to take care of shortening the sleeves.

It may be the angle of the photographs, but it looks like you could use a bit more space between your collar and the tops of the chest plates.

Like Lazerjock , I suggest wearing the harness under the vest and closing the vest up tight. This will determine if your vest is too wide along the shoulders which could explain the bunching up. Your vest sleeves also look like they're a tad too long. The top corners of your shoulder armor are where they should be, so you just have to take care of shortening the sleeves.

It may be the angle of the photographs, but it looks like you could use a bit more space between your collar and the tops of the chest plates.
Thanks for the insight, tennantlim . I did a quick trial and folded the sleeves under and it looked right! The width in the shoulders is a tough one cause I do have wide/ broad shoulders. I think I need to get this harness squared away, and have some openings made in the vest to see how it all fits.

The issue is that I may end up getting it tailored for the harness, and then if I need additional adjustments elsewhere on the vest, it might throw off those openings...idk.

The collar armor is “sticking up” cause the back armor is not attached yet. I’m thinking once that happens it will bring it down some in the back, and widen the gap between the chest plates and collar (I did this with my hands while wearing it and it looked right).

We will see, but first things first I have to put together a Powerwheel Cinderella carriage...

It’s looking good! What was the brand and type of clutches backs and pins that you used?
I used eboot clutchbacks and locking backs:
EBOOT Pack of 50 Tie Tacks Blank Pins with Clutch Back (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFLNJQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Hwd2FbCNYCJW5

eBoot 50 Pieces Pins Keepers Backs Locks Pin Backs Locking Clasp Replacement, No Tool Required Amazon.com: eBoot 50 Pieces Pins Keepers Backs Locks Pin Backs Locking Clasp Replacement, No Tool Required: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back