Zero’s Bossk sculpt, a work in progress

Just a very quick paint up on the test pull with some teeth glued in for effect. The eyes are just cutouts on this I’m not worried about finishing this one off completely as said just a test...
BCC5A0CC-2C74-4C94-9CDA-C588FCB3696C.jpeg

This thread is so fantastic! That recent picture is completely badass looking!

I’ve just recently started seriously looking into a bossk for Chicago next year. I’m going to be watching this with very close interest.

This thread is so fantastic! That recent picture is completely badass looking!

I’ve just recently started seriously looking into a bossk for Chicago next year. I’m going to be watching this with very close interest.

Thank :) this is just one I’m playing around with, I personally don’t like the look of it yet, second pull will be better and I hit it with my airbrush instead of paint brush so the colour will be more accurate.

Setting up my test mask to hidout in a local 501st outpost display for a weekend Con. I have been helping out getting it ready and Bossk just adds a nice touch. Should look great all set up...

Here’s the test fit to see how it looks..
375B114B-E81F-444C-9619-A47C675FE45E.jpeg

In place and ready to watch the crowds...
AC540F49-633E-4C3A-A711-A6AE9CACF4AC.jpeg

This has been on the backburnner for a wee while, so I thought I best crack on with the final faze... the mouth.
I have gone about this a bit backwards and it’s proving to be a tricky pain in the @#$ . getting this to sit how I want is frustrating... but I. Being persistent and I’ll get there in the end....
AA37E3B4-7E12-4A08-BDE9-409AE1200429.jpeg

Just working out the right shapes and teeth layout. I have done a quick tongue to see how it looks... not too bad so far, for all the frustration it’s giving me... :)

This has been on the back burner for a while. Work, workload has been keeping me busy; but now i must complete the last additional details and work out the last of the mechanics for the jaw...

Reverse sculpting the jaw and teeth has worked out to be a headache... And I accidentally brock the lower jaw... serves me right for using too soft clay:cautious:
So lower jaw has been put to the side and i have concentrated my effort on the upper jaw. Once I’m happy it will go off to my moulding room to be moulded and cast...then using newly cast jaw.I’ll redo the lower
....sometimes i hate being a stickler for detail or near perfection:confused:

Almost ready to mould..
D9221209-7BB5-42A0-B91A-D06AA9418401.jpeg

Who would have thought the teeth placement was so specific....
the first set of teeth i made were completely wrong, I made them to long, thin and pointy. This is not the case though as they are mote rounded on the screen used mask. It’s nice to see they put those extra details in for a background character in the canteena.
8EDC9E7C-F52B-4D89-967C-E93CE3D20818.jpeg

So more work done on the Bossk...
I have tweaked the colour of my latex mix, and am a bit happier with the result... a more closer to Bossk and not as dark as my previous mix.
I have done some work on the eyes and the inserts. Previously they were glued in, now they sit happily in a pocket. Which makes them look tidy and is easy to take them out an insert new lenses....

This a beautiful sculpt. I am not really a Bossk guy but is there any way to copy this whole thread over to theBHG.net boards? I am sure the command staff and hardcore Bossk fans over there would love to see this work of art.

This a beautiful sculpt. I am not really a Bossk guy but is there any way to copy this whole thread over to theBHG.net boards? I am sure the command staff and hardcore Bossk fans over there would love to see this work of art.

THanks:) a lot of work has gone into and still more work do do till its done.
BHG is an idea thank you, though I’m not sur about the whole thread thing....?
Is there a reason i can not just view the BHG page without having to create an account? I always like to preview webpages before joining...

THanks:) a lot of work has gone into and still more work do do till its done.
BHG is an idea thank you, though I’m not sur about the whole thread thing....?
Is there a reason i can not just view the BHG page without having to create an account? I always like to preview webpages before joining...

The reason is what you just stated, creating an account first is required. Sorry, I don't make the rules, I just abide by them as best I can. Maybe you can create a condensed version of your WIP and put all the progress photos into a single new thread in the Bossk section over there.

Nothing is required for basic access beyond filling out the form and confirming your account through email. If you have an approved 501st or 501st BH character, you can ask for additional access beyond basic.

Worked on a couple of items for Bossk,
I had chosen not to sculpt in the little horns on the side of the head and instead decided to make them separate
I liked the idea of the horns being solid and the added option of being able to modify them...
592DBB02-9430-44C3-99D9-4080994CC405.jpeg

And I threw some silicone over the upper jaw I sculpted (in the too soft clay) and cast a prototype to see how it works and give me something solid to sculpt the lower jaw against.... then just for the extra work I took a casting of the teeth in plaster, so I can do latex pulls as latex has issues drying in silicone moulds. It dries but at a v..e..r..y slow rate...
13CCF65A-C9FB-4D7E-8397-7BB5B9E4D9A9.jpeg

Test fit...
Resin and fibreglass upper jaw with a very quick pull out of a still wet plaster mould of the teeth for the lower...

CA3BB673-FF10-4D5C-9025-595988E4DFEA.jpeg

84D99409-6807-40AE-A4F9-13436F3EB645.jpeg

Okay here is the latest latex pull, this mask is sold. Just need to clean up add side horns and paint and it’s off to a new home..:cry:
34A529A6-0FE6-41A8-B4C7-7A7437DD0B67.jpeg
6099B535-282B-4C95-A80C-FC60F7EBEBA1.jpeg

A good example of latex dust, from trimming and sanding the seam line...
4AFB0127-7992-4096-AD40-D951624B003F.jpeg

This mask has holes cut out in the nostrils and mouth, and has removable eye pieces ( they have tape in them for effect at the moment, will paint them when i paint the mask)

Truly excellent work. The decision to cast the hard parts separately was totally the way to go. It adds a realism you can't achieve with just paint.

I can't wait to see someone suit up with one of these!

Truly excellent work. The decision to cast the hard parts separately was totally the way to go. It adds a realism you can't achieve with just paint.

I can't wait to see someone suit up with one of these!

Thanks man, yeah I’m looking forward to seeing this out there one day, always cool to see you work being loved by others.

The hard parts are having their pros and cons, pros being they do look cooler and add a greater dimension t the mask, the con being it’s taking longer to get everything right and adds more complexity and time to the making of each masks.

Well just from looking at it, I'd say it's worth it.

And from my experience, I think the way you're approaching it will pay off in the end. It's a hassle right now, but if you scale up production on these at any point, you'll have the flexibility to fine tune your process. That is to say if there's a problem with a jaw or some horns, you can re-tool those parts instead of the entire thing.

Keep up the good work!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back