Visor Material other than Welding Visor? (UK)

SykoVoss

New Hunter
Hey guys,
I'm used to using welding visors for T-Visor material but there's an awful lot of wastage. Does anyone have any suggestions for what other sheet plastic material I could use for these so I can be more economical?

I'm making a fair number of cold cast helmets for myself and other Mandalorian Mercs and it's really annoying having to throw away about 60% of the material every time I cut a visor.

tiR7RKP.jpg

If anyone knows of a UK supplier that supplies sheet acrylic/polycarbonate/whatever that would be suitable I'd love to know.

I was wondering if there isn't an off-the-shelf sheet plastic that's the right dark coloured tint I wondered if there would be a solution using maybe a clear sheet plastic and then backing it with some kind of blackout film - anyone have any good experience on this one/advice on supplier?

Thanks
Simes

As I recall I just googled it looking for sheets of A4 transparent smoked dark grey perspex sheets. The more you buy the cheaper it gets. I think I bought ten. Maybe in the 20 quid range although may have been more.

You can see how I did it in post 55 of this thread. My friend Sidewinder helped me out with the clips but you could just glue it in.

intwenothor's accurate ESB interior thread.

That's terrific - love the crazy accurate interior build.

Mine are Chicago screws with rubber washers, and a helmet harness attached to four aluminium strips that I've fibreglassed in, secured with Chicago screws again.

0deAPN3.jpg

Thanks for your help and advice!

Nice. The advantage of the perspex sheet being heated to shape is that you don't have to attach it inside in such a way that you're forever fighting the visor material fighting to get back to the original state as I have found with the flexible weld visors. You can also curve the visor in the central vertical slot where the flexible weld visors tend to go flat. The disadvantage is that the material is brittle and may snap, ruining the sheet, during the cutting stage and more care much be taken when making them as opposed to the weld visors that can be cut with tinsnips however that is offset by the fact that you could probably secure it with far fewer fixtures than your above example (three could do it). Swings and roundabouts.

Actually, I did a test with a welding visor offcut for these new helmets this time around and found that I could heat-form them, which actually made it much easier to fit than my originals (which were a real battle and took two of us and many screws)

But, yep, perspex sheet - I may be making a whole bunch of helmets soon so I'll be able to get one nice sheet and cut lots of visors without wastage.
Thanks once again!

BTW: Original helmet used Foamex wrapped around a skate helmet which means a shallow dome and eyeline that isn't quite right for the helmet... hence why I've started on upgrade
K0XCRI6.jpg

Pleased to say I bought some Grey Smoked Acrylic from Trent Plastics and, cutting with a fine-toothed jigsaw blade intended for metal (I couldn't find an acrylic-suited blade with a U-Shank) was able to cut it quickly and cleanly. Gentle heating with a heat gun bent it into shape, no problem...

Thanks everyone for the advice -really appreciated!

WWwytD2.jpg

Pleased to say I bought some Grey Smoked Acrylic from Trent Plastics and, cutting with a fine-toothed jigsaw blade intended for metal (I couldn't find an acrylic-suited blade with a U-Shank) was able to cut it quickly and cleanly. Gentle heating with a heat gun bent it into shape, no problem...

View attachment 154683
I use a Dremel with a round diamond cut off wheel.....eats through it like butter and you have much more control!
here is a ebay link 5+1 Rotary Tool For Craftsman Diamond Cut Off Wheel Accessory Disc 545 | eBay

Just ordered the grey plastic sheeting for a test run, my No5 welding glass is difficult to see out of indoors. Hopefully it won't be see through on flash photographs. :)

View attachment 154683

Did you go for the 3mm or 5mm?

im glad i came accross your thread!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back