General The TDH Boba boot problem

Ghost_Fett

Hunter
Hey guys. Zach here. Wanted to bring this up here. It's something that's been talked about a bit on other threads and in PMs.

Basically this community has one supplier I know of for boots. I've heard whispers of maybe one other but maybe some of the more "in the know" people here can shed some light on this. The supplier I'm talking about is Man Of War. This post is not at all to bash his wonderful boots but it's to bring attention to another problem.

If MOW is the only supplier of boots and he is not making any currently in the fabled and rare 9-9.5 size (the size I need) and he seems to me to be selling out his stock of other sizes and not refreshing stock (at this current time) What does a boba do to get shoes?

Are we at a point in which all bobas either have to fabricate their own shoes or wait till someone sells their current shoes? I've gotten to the point it has dawned on me I literally cannot finish my Boba unless I acquire the shoes I cannot get.

The last option is that it seems you can purchase the prototype boots for 60 dollars more than the regular and dye it some are saying. This seems risky and not something I would like to try.

So maybe you guys can open up a discussion about what I and others could do to remedy this problem? Or just encourage us to wait and click on every sale that goes up on the cargo hold. Seems like a bleak future for the Fett community...
b74a0a84f98f6a2e2cf14c6dd8e4b176.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Like much in this hobby, there is a lot of waiting involved, especially when it comes to quality. Christian makes the best boots available for Fett, and the wait is worth it. Now in terms of his stock, I recall he does runs once or twice a year. If you reach out to him, I'm sure he can give you a date when your size will be back in stock.

Like much in this hobby, there is a lot of waiting involved, especially when it comes to quality. Christian makes the best boots available for Fett, and the wait is worth it. Now in terms of his stock, I recall he does runs once or twice a year. If you reach out to him, I'm sure he can give you a date when your size will be back in stock.

Christian got back with me today and here's a quote from that conversation.

"Im not sure when I'll be doing another run due to enormous investment it takes to produce them. As far as I know, there's no one else making them

Thank you for your interest..Wish I could be of more help

Christian"

So it seems we are going to have to look elsewhere for the time being. Which means what?

Sent from my iPhone

COMPLETELY WRONG....sorry but they should only be mentioned as boots that are not to be purchased....

Rodabary bought a pair of boots made by someone in south America and theyre legit. Better then MOW I would venture to say also.

I noticed the inaccuracy but I am pretty desperate haha.

Have any leads on this South American vendor? You think I could PM rodabary?

Sent from my iPhone

I noticed the inaccuracy but I am pretty desperate haha.

Have any leads on this South American vendor? You think I could PM rodabary?

Sent from my iPhone
I don't recommend buying something as a space filler....if you cant get the right thing.... its not worth getting the wrong thing just to have something.... ( to me) Rod got them on ebay not sure of the vendor but he should be able to help you out.

I appreciate F4R's commitment to accuracy, but I am 5'8" and 235 pounds, so dimensionally, I am not "Fett accurate." I have a pair of MOW boots, but if I couldn't find a pair to fit, I was looking at CABoots.

Evolution Props sell a pair. Likely that is what F4R is talking about. I have been warned here A LOT not to buy from Evolution, mainly because what is pictured is not always what you get.

They are out of Argentina. Their soles are thicker than CAboots, but still round. Search "fett boots" on eBay and you will find them... I am not allowed to post links.

- - - Updated - - -

Clmayfield, do you know if anybody makes toe spikes to fit those boots? :)

Sent from my iPhone

https://www.shapeways.com/product/83T4VZB3M/pair-of-toe-plates-spikes-caboots-esb?optionId=40134170

Man wish I could just buy the good stuff. I'll most likely just wait this out. I've got a lot of other work to do on it but I hope MOW comes back.

Sent from my iPhone

Honestly, buying the white pre-pro's and painting them is a legitimate option. The only pain is color matching. After you weather the boots, they paint job underneath will barely be visible. If you are doing a lot of this yourself, painting boots will be one of the easier tasks you have to confront.

What would you suggest using to paint boots? And yes there are a few other things that are definitely up and coming on the project I'm nervous about. Haha

Sent from my iPhone

What would you suggest using to paint boots? And yes there are a few other things that are definitely up and coming on the project I'm nervous about. Haha

I used this tutorial and Delta Ceramcoat paints I bought off of Amazon. You could make your own grey by mixing charcoal and white or I am sure they make a grey. I would paint everything on with a brush, let it dry, then use the wet weathering technique. The water will probably fade your colors, which will make the boots look even better. The joy of Fett is that you can screw something up quite a bit and by the time you weather it, you can't see the screw up. It all gets lost in the weathering.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13136

I bought mine from Landher. He´s a member here but not much online. He´s a shoemaker from Mexico. A great guy, also a member of the 501st, BUT VERY BUSY and hard to contact. You´ll have to be really patient when contacting him. His boots are custom-made and already come with aluminium toe spikes. You can also find him at facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Landher.shoemaker?fref=ts

These are mine when they arrived:
P5200089.JPG

Here after I did some weathering:
P4091058.JPG

I bought some evo props ones but they were horrible and poorly made imo. I have seen some mow and was really impressed with the quality but unfortunately they don't make them in size 7. Maybe if you could get a list together with definite orders and sizes and pay up front Christian would place another order

I have to say I can't see any issue with buying his pre pro boots and using those. Aside from the fact they're more expensive we seem to be looking at the same boots in a different colour. I bought a pair of his grey boots but did a load of painting and weathering to them anyway so the original grey is nowhere in sight. True that the grey is probably a better base colour to begin with but I can't see that being insurmountable with a white pair. The black parts I simply painted black.

I bet it's expensive to make runs of footwear which is why I wouldn't blame him if he was trying to shift the PP boots before starting a new run. I'm pretty sure my previous set of MOW boots were white out of the box anyway, possibly with the centre stripe already blackened, anyone remember? I think they were pre 2012.

I appreciate F4R's commitment to accuracy, but I am 5'8" and 235 pounds, so dimensionally, I am not "Fett accurate." I have a pair of MOW boots, but if I couldn't find a pair to fit, I was looking at CABoots.

Evolution Props sell a pair. Likely that is what F4R is talking about. I have been warned here A LOT not to buy from Evolution, mainly because what is pictured is not always what you get.

They are out of Argentina. Their soles are thicker than CAboots, but still round. Search "fett boots" on eBay and you will find them... I am not allowed to post links.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.shapeways.com/product/83T4VZB3M/pair-of-toe-plates-spikes-caboots-esb?optionId=40134170

No Im not talking about Evos boots. Evos boots are just as bad or worse then the CA boots.

I'm pretty sure my previous set of MOW boots were white out of the box anyway, possibly with the centre stripe already blackened, anyone remember? I think they were pre 2012.

Yup! Mine are like that. Pretty easy to paint with acrylics and airbrushing. Now that I think about it, I think the piping and elastic were the only things that were black.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back