Target Stencils

Bozzy

New Hunter
Hi ,

first thread so be gentle ..

I'm got one of the target / rubies deluxe helmets to embark on my first Fett paint up and was wondering if anyone had managed to re do the stencils to better match this lid ... i've been playing around with them for ages but cant get them right..

Thanks.

I have Paint Shop Pro. It has the ability to resize all directions of an image. I have version 11, I've read descriptions of guys with version 8 having the resizing ability.
It might be worth picking up a copy to give it a try?

I have a DVH helmet that differs in a lot of spots from the stencils. Instead of resizing them I just move the stencils around on the helmet and make notes of how the stencil was oriented to help me line up the other layers. I think I would have driven myself crazy trying to resize all of those stencils, there are so many.

Good way might be to measure a segment, such as the length of one of the back panels, or the height of an ear. And scale the stencils to that known measurement. Get enough such measurements as data points and you should be able to make a pretty good averaged size ratio.

Otherwise, just sorta keep trial and erroring it till they start fittin. And better a little too small than too big.

Good way might be to measure a segment, such as the length of one of the back panels, or the height of an ear. And scale the stencils to that known measurement. Get enough such measurements as data points and you should be able to make a pretty good averaged size ratio.

Otherwise, just sorta keep trial and erroring it till they start fittin. And better a little too small than too big.
That wont work, what you will need to do is measure and scale each area....as all helmets differ in each section from eachother.

On the first page of my helmet thread I show the relatively simple way I cut my stencils. The proportion of height to width
is solved by sizing one or the other (height or width) to the area you're working on while keeping the entire stencil inside the working area.
This ,for the most part, establishes the size of the stencils design.Next cut through the broadest and least detailed areas of the design to increase
it's ability to expand and adjust to the edges it was short of when sized. There are some pictures of how this worked on one of my helmets back
panels. This worked well for me on all areas of my paint up. I think it might work for most helmets. The slightly added space in the broad color areas can hardly be seen if at all.

Last edited:
you should be able to use the standard templates for your helmet, given that you're just using them as reference for the paint job, there's no need to adjust the templates themselves.

If you are going to use the stencils to trace through and not just for freehand reference,then you do have to size them
as close as you can to get to a starting point. Trying to copy an over or undersized pattern on to the helmet by eye with any
kind of accuracy will take longer than sizing templates and tracing to set things up. This is especially true for masking and registering the layers
for spray painting and not just topical painting the colors. Patience is the common thread either way.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back