Superjedi's FPH2 for Rnbuda

Thanks, all. :)
Been working on the details the past few days and there are several pics to show what I've done.
First up--the white thumbprints. Another unique feature of the ESB. I do these in two stages. The first stage
is to do the "outlines" which are the more opaque looking parts. Then I thin down my flat white and sort of drag
the brush around to fill in the shapes.
IMG_4484.JPG
Next is the fade below the killstripes. To simulate this I mix up a blend of acrylic silver with some of the green weathering shade
that I use for the dome and cheeks. Then I apply it with a fine brush. It's intended to look like damage from tape that was pulled
up when unmasking the killstripes. When you look at it at the angle shown in this pic, it's very subtle:
IMG_4486.JPG
But when you catch it in the light, it pops.
IMG_4485.JPG
Next is the pale contrasting gray. This is scattered over several areas, but mostly concentrated on the right rear
panel and down the curve of the right mandible. Here are a couple of shots.
IMG_4487.JPG IMG_4488.JPG
I've also begun detail work on the ears. The lower RF ear piece is complete apart from final weathering.
IMG_4490.JPG
I've airbrushed the white arch on the left ear and applied the light gray.
IMG_4492.JPG
I'll work on the red chips next, then the bottom facet of the ear piece. That will leave me with the RF ear cap.
I need to mask and airbrush the black arch, then let it dry and remask for the white half-arch. If you noticed in
the pics of the ears, I have already applied a couple of the dry transfer markings. These are soooooo much easier
than hand chipping the lettering like I used to do. :)
More to come over the weekend!

Last edited:
Thanks! It's getting really close now. . .

Did the second to last weathering pass on the helmet--a black acrylic wash. I also kept on plugging away with the details.
I finished the left ear, including the bottom facet.
IMG_4493.JPG IMG_4494.JPG
I also airbrushed the black arch on the RF ear cap. Once this dries for a couple of days, I'll remask and do the white half-arch.
IMG_4495.JPG
I worked on the Borden piece, too. I fixed it to a small piece of black styrene. This serves two purposes: first, to give it a mounting
platform that will rest against the inside of the cheek, and second, to block the holes so you can't see through it.
(Oh, by the way Robert, I'm upgrading you to a machined metal Borden instead of the resin piece. . . you deserve it!)

Then I weathered it with a thin wash to simulate an aged looking patina, and went back and added some silver chips.
IMG_4497.JPG
Finally for today, I got the base coat down on the range finder.
IMG_4498.JPG
Over the next couple of days, I'll work on the remaining detail on the RF ear cap, and the final weathering. That includes the "grease stains" on
the dome, and the rusty spatter. Final assembly will be coming after that!
Just a note. . . today marks one month since I started this helmet. I usually don't work so quickly, but it seems like the stars aligned and I just
got in the zone on this project! I'm sure Robert doesn't mind though. :lol:

Last edited:
Eric,

The helmet is looking outstanding! You didn't have to upgrade me to a metal borden but I do appreciate it!

I can't believe I've seen so much progress in 1 month! I feel spoiled!

You're welcome!
The helmet is complete. Didn't have time to set up for pics before I lost the natural light.
Why did I run out of time. . . hmm. . . because I went to see Rogue One!!! :) Loved it.

I'll be posting a gallery of final pics tomorrow.

You're welcome!
The helmet is complete. Didn't have time to set up for pics before I lost the natural light.
Why did I run out of time. . . hmm. . . because I went to see Rogue One!!! :) Loved it.

I'll be posting a gallery of final pics tomorrow.

It's a Christmas miracle! I can't wait!

Can't wait to see final pics. Really happy for you 'buda, it looks great. Glad you got your helmet heading your way and for selfish reasons also. :p

HAHA right?!

Honestly it's been 27 months since the helmet was delivered from Chris at Fett Pride. I'm over the moon with the work Eric has done since mid-November when he took over the project!

Not much longer to wait now. :)
The helmet is complete! I finished all those seemingly endless last minute details and got the visor fitted yesterday.
Here's a selection of final pics. I'll be wrapping the helmet up later to go out tomorrow or Tuesday.
IMG_4500.JPG IMG_4508.JPG
Couple of rear angles:
IMG_4503.JPG IMG_4505.JPG
Here are profile views:
IMG_4501.JPG IMG_4507.JPG
Finally, a slightly higher angle of the back, to show some of the variation and staining on the dome. It's subtle in the pics but
shows up a bit more in person. Maybe I need a better camera, LOL.
IMG_4511.JPG
Thanks to everyone who followed along, and thanks to Robert for trusting me with his bucket! (y)
I had a lot of fun doing this one for you!

Last edited:
Eric,

It looks like it stepped right out of the archives! Looks brilliant and I can't wait to finally add this to my collection! I can't thank you enough for taking control of this project and finishing it a month ahead of schedule!

I can't wait until I can put this bad boy on! Thanks again, you're truly the master!

Eric,

It looks like it stepped right out of the archives! Looks brilliant and I can't wait to finally add this to my collection! I can't thank you enough for taking control of this project and finishing it a month ahead of schedule!

I can't wait until I can put this bad boy on! Thanks again, you're truly the master!

You are an incredibly lucky man.
superjedi Amazing craftsmanship!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back