Superjedi's FPH2 for Rnbuda

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Happy November, Fetters!
I'm beginning another ESB commission for our very own Rnbuda. It's a beautiful FPH2 helmet, which I've painted several of, and here
are just a couple of shots of the kit. I received it with some of the prep already done, but I spent some time on it thinning the visor
opening a little more, drilling out the holes in the ear platforms, and making an opening in the cheek for the Borden connector.
IMG_4419.JPG
The helmet was shipped with a visor, but it's not shown in these pics.
IMG_4419.JPG
After finishing up with the prep, I gave the helmet a good wash with some dish soap and warm water to clean up the sanding dust.
Once everything is dry tomorrow, I'll begin working on the rear panels just like I always do.
This will be my 22nd ESB paint up and I'm excited to get started on it! :) Much more to come.

IMG_4420.JPG

Last edited:
Back panels are well underway. I did the Concrete late last night, and everything was nice and dry this morning.
I stenciled on the damage, then used my Winsor & Newton masking fluid. I airbrushed on the dark green in a medium
translucent layer first, then went back to darken certain areas according to the reference pics.
IMG_4423.JPG
After removing the liquid mask, I went back with a small brush to tweak the edges of the damage areas where needed. There's always
a few touch ups I like to do. I also added some patches of the dark green where it appears a little more uneven in the reference shots.
I use the same green to do this, but applying it with a brush gives it a denser appearance, so it winds up looking just a hair darker.
IMG_4425.JPG
Now that this is done, I can begin with the gray and silver damage. :)

Last edited:
Holy crap! There's paint on that thing! Buda is not used to this type of service!!! I think you should probably let the helmet cure for about 4 months in a dark corner.... then maybe get back to it. OK< sorry for being that guy!

Glad for you Buda, you have a helmet in top hands!

It looks like some parts are missing in the picture besides the visor. Was everything included?

In short, no. The upper RF ear "base" and the Borden weren't there. I let Rnbuda know the day the helmet arrived and the parts are
supposed to be heading my way soon. It won't impede my progress at this stage.

Thanks, guys!
For the physical scratching, I use an old dental tool that I filed into a sharp point. It has kind of a tiny hook at the end so I can see very clearly where the tool is contacting the surface.
By varying the pressure, I can get very "bright" scratches, or "dull" faded looking scratches.

Several sessions later. . .

I got the big damage area done on the right panel. This is such a relatively small percentage of the whole paint job, but it's
really detail intensive! Here's an overall pic.
IMG_4430.JPG
A closer view shows some of the tiny chips and scratches within and around the silver.
IMG_4431.JPG
Here's a different angle to show the contrast with the silver a little more.
IMG_4433.JPG
I'll start working on the remaining sections of the right panel this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Damn, Eric looks awesome! I'm going to keep saying that this entire paint up!

I'm getting spoiled with all these updates too!

:lol: Thanks, guys.

The rear panels are all done now. I finished the rest of the right panel this morning.
Doing the rest of it took less time than just doing the big scrape! An overall look.
IMG_4435.JPG
A couple of closer angles showing the damage and physical scratching.
IMG_4437.JPG IMG_4439.JPG
This will all get masked off and I'll lay down the base color and first weathering pass on the dome and cheeks.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back