Other Bounty Hunter Sath Rexen...Bounty Hunter Build and Intro!

SathRexen

New Hunter
Hey everyone! My name is Samantha, and for the past 2 years I’ve been in the process of developing my own Bounty Hunter costume with my fiancé, Ponte…so we’ve been pretty much working on this since we met. We’ve already been to a few cons together (NYCC, Awesome-Con DC, Dragon-Con) and while I had my Kaylee (Firefly), Peacekeeper (Hunger Games) , and Leia costumes, I always really wanted to don a concealed Star Wars costume that accompanied his Boba. My BH’s name is Sath Rexen (he came up with it…sounded Star Warzy enough to me).

We both agreed on a mission statement for this build: Keep the costume true to the aesthetics and accuracy of the original movies and create a convincing character that's "just another bounty hunter in the background"; before the invention of Mandalorians and other post 80's lore. Only using weapons, greeblies, and equipment from items Pre-1980, we wanted to create something that stayed true to the original Lucas prop-builders’ design, creating something that looked like it belonged in the 1970’s prop warehouse. We spent a solid year acquiring quality armor (Fettpride and Emma Swanson), going to gun shows to pick up metal parts and materials, and coming up with the overall color scheme for the bounty hunter.

I’m a HUGE Clint Eastwood fan (I made this super apparent on our first date), and without trying to shoehorn The Man With No Name, we still wanted to keep the gist of Boba’s Pre-Production influences in both weathering and demeanor. You’ll see a lot of throwbacks to the Pre-Pro Bobas, which give the public a glimpse at something that was never on screen but still has lineage to them.
Ponte’s painting the helmet, shoulder/knee armor and gauntlets, as well as constructing the custom blaster while I’m taking care of the chest/collar/back/cod armor, all of the soft parts, and the jetpack.

Pre-weathered. He loved the lineage of the GMH Pre-Pro 2 helmet so he kept all of the gashes, cuts, and scrapes from the original mold but reworked the surrounding damage. We also filled in the dent and gave it a debris/scattered pock mark damage. He wanted to add the Pre-Pro I eyes, but I wasn't a fan, sooooooo.......he came up with the very orange, 1970's looking stripe, which I love:

sathhelmetpreweather.jpg

Weathering, pigments, Exacto blade/dental pick abuse, and some killstripes!

sathhelmet.jpg

Few more close-ups:

sathhelmet2.jpg

sathhelmet3.jpg

sathhelmet4.jpg

sathhelmet5.jpg

sathhelmet6.jpg

sathhelmet7.jpg

sathhelmet8.jpg

sathhelmet9.jpg

sathhelmet10.jpg

The side caps were just done last night...pics tomorrow!

sathhelmet9.jpg

sathhelmet.jpg

sathhelmet10.jpg

sathhelmet2.jpg

sathhelmet3.jpg

sathhelmet4.jpg

sathhelmet5.jpg

sathhelmet6.jpg

sathhelmet7.jpg

sathhelmet8.jpg

sathhelmetpreweather.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this. Also a western fan, if I was ever to do a custom mando, it'd be western themed, so I'm loving the Clint vibe and the rustic colours. Hope you're getting some sixguns in there. I like the idea of the ears, although it might start looking like the Mythos version Fett.

Also excited to see how this progresses with pre-80s gear.

She loved the PP1 Boba with the cape slung across his chest like Clint's poncho, which got her more excited for the build. We won't be incorporating any blatant Old-West elements as far as six-shooters go, but as far as earthy, rustic colors...absolutely. There's definitely a mix and match design going on (you'll see with the gauntlets) akin to the PP2.

We recently finished up her custom blaster (no idea what I'm calling it). I wanted to use the base of an M1 Garand since I love the design of it, but obviously needed to heavily modify it in order to keep it in line with the late 70's/early 80's design process. We have a local gun show that we go to every other month that has a decent amount of original vintage gun parts and greeblies that look great. After it was all said and done, here's a comparison pic of a standard issue M1 to what the final result is. Also threw in the start of her belt and assorted pouches/greeblies as well:

sathblastercompare.jpg

1. Stripped and sanded the stock, as well as re-dying it black. Lopped off the back portion to make way for an original UZI folding stock.
2. Removed most of the front handguard, leaving the barrel exposed.
3. Installed a Vietnam-era shotgun pump to replace the M1 handguard.
4. Attached a 1930's hunting scope and mount.
5. Attached a barrel choke from some vintage weapon to the end.
6. Installed model WWII German BF 110G-2 Plane greeblies along the stock/receiver to make it more "Star Warzy".
7. Drank a Budweiser :D

sathblastercompare.jpg

Wow the helmet details are sick looking!! just nailed what a early Pre-Pro mando paint up should look like, I'm both excited to see your great work and sad that i have to now going back and correct new issues i have with my custom helmet. Your forcing me to get better Ponte, i want to hug you really really tight Dammit:)

The blaster is just not fair, I now see what you’re talking about and I'm going to start researching vintage and odd firearms may even hit up local gun shows to start collecting parts and pieces.

Great concept and amazing work, was just a joy to view these pics, Thanks Guys take care

Wow the helmet details are sick looking!! just nailed what a early Pre-Pro mando paint up should look like, I'm both excited to see your great work and sad that i have to now going back and correct new issues i have with my custom helmet. Your forcing me to get better Ponte, i want to hug you really really tight Dammit:)

The blaster is just not fair, I now see what you’re talking about and I'm going to start researching vintage and odd firearms may even hit up local gun shows to start collecting parts and pieces.

Great concept and amazing work, was just a joy to view these pics, Thanks Guys take care

Thanks! This sucker was a little TOO clean, so we dirtied up the greeblies, stock, and some of the metal parts....so NOW it's done :)

sathblasterfinished3.jpgsathblasterfinished4.jpgsathblasterfinished5.jpgsathblasterfinished.jpgsathblasterfinished2.jpg

sathblasterfinished4.jpg

sathblasterfinished.jpg

sathblasterfinished2.jpg

sathblasterfinished3.jpg

sathblasterfinished5.jpg

One of the shoulder bells, done. We wanted to use the Pre-Pro 2 skull as another throwback (and I think it looks cooler), as well as implement my Bounty Hunter's own symbol on the head instead of the "F". I'm almost done with the flak vest, which I made using a mix of a ladie's dress top pattern (to keep it slim and chest-friendly) while using Ponte's Boba vest for all the other details. It's made out of one of his original WWII shelter halves. Should have a few more updates later this week!

sathshoulder4.jpg

Woah!!! I don't know how I missed this thread until now but this is looking absolutely awesome! Keep up the great work! Has there been any more progress on this recently/ has it been completed?

Would love to see an update on this particular thread? Amazing stuff on here.

Agreed dude! It would have really been awesome to see this build completed. Hopefully she is still lurking or at least gets the email notifications if someone comments on the thread haha

We both agreed on a mission statement for this build: Keep the costume true to the aesthetics and accuracy of the original movies and create a convincing character that's "just another bounty hunter in the background"; before the invention of Mandalorians and other post 80's lore. Only using weapons, greeblies, and equipment 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf from items Pre-1980, we wanted to create something that stayed true to the original Lucas prop-builders’ design, creating something that looked like it belonged in the 1970’s prop warehouse. We spent a solid year acquiring quality armor (Fettpride and Emma Swanson), going to gun shows to pick up metal parts and materials, and coming up with the overall color scheme for the bounty hunter.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back