SarlaccSlayer14's ROTJ Build

SarlaccSlayer14 thanks for that run down! The thickness of the label was what I was most worried about. Although, I hadn’t considered air or gasses being trapped under the label. When the time comes I’ll definitely be sure to allow the paint to cure long enough so nothing is trapped underneath. Everything looks great in your kit and I hope my ROTJ turns out even half as good! Thanks again!

SarlaccSlayer14 thanks for that run down! The thickness of the label was what I was most worried about. Although, I hadn’t considered air or gasses being trapped under the label. When the time comes I’ll definitely be sure to allow the paint to cure long enough so nothing is trapped underneath. Everything looks great in your kit and I hope my ROTJ turns out even half as good! Thanks again!

Thanks! I’ve got a long road to go!

Threaded some .25” screws through the foam pieces and into the backs of the Machine Craft Replicas knee darts. They’re not going anywhere. Once everything is epoxied, the knees will be as solid as bricks. They definitely have some weight to them now, so I’m planning to Velcro them to my flight suit in addition to the straps.

8844249C-6D31-400B-A00E-A7D851F41404.jpeg

So, you determine the armor size was OK?

For my immediate needs, yes. Forgot to tell you our “large” RKD collars are the same measurements. I will likely upgrade in the future to a wider collar, which would probably also mean a new backplate. I’m moving forward with the pieces I have at this point.

Just when I was getting caught up, Lou/DVH had to go and send me a lot more work to do!

Awesome fiberglass gauntlet kits that truly feel like real gear. Great quality, and with the MCR real metal parts, they’ve got some serious heft to them.

Took ‘em out of the box to inspect them and ended up test fitting and assembling them right away. Great stuff!

98571BAF-C51B-4A77-B4AC-6C6536507D56.jpeg

Nice work, Sarlacc! Just wondering what reference/references did you use for gauntlet assembly? I’ve had some difficulty finding good shots of the right gauntlet, as well as what type of hinge and a good hinge placement.

looks great. It was all painted using rattle cans?

Thanks! I used rattlecans on all primary layers using colors from StormTrooperGuy’s pinned post - (gray primer, metallic silver, striping yellow [inverted can], and hunt club green). Gauntlets will be Claret Wine over a black undercoat. All these cans were purchased at Home Depot.

For detail/damage areas on the armor plates I used SAC Bomber Green (small modelers rattle can but dabbed on very dryly with a brush), and a basic yellow acrylic to outline smaller damage areas and specks too small for the masking fluid or tape to be effective.

Weathered everything with light black spray mist, pencil shavings, and acrylic washes of browns and blacks (I like using Citadel washes from Games Workshop). Then sealed with several coats of Testors Dull Coat (small can). To kill any remaining sheen, I may lightly rub a handful of dirt over each piece (not enough to make it filthy, but enough to really kill any light reflection that survived the dull coats).

Nice work, Sarlacc! Just wondering what reference/references did you use for gauntlet assembly? I’ve had some difficulty finding good shots of the right gauntlet, as well as what type of hinge and a good hinge placement.

I’m working that out now with some advice from Lou/DVH. I’m very “anti-hinge”, so I’m experimenting with a couple techniques to allow for an invisible seam. I’m using Lou’s fiberglass kit, so the flex isn’t quite there for the magnet technique to be effective. Will keep you posted!

SO CLOSE!!!

Once that magical box from woodman arrives it will be like Christmas morning!

Since last update, knees have been painted and weathered but not sealed. Straps need to be attached.

Base paint layers down on MoW shin tools (I may upgrade to found parts later) and wrist rocket.

Gaunts from DVH arrived and I installed flamer push buttons (they’re so fun - I keep pushing them). Experimenting with no-hinge closure techniques now. I need a source for left gaunt LED light.

Temporary gloves from MoW arrived (will eventually upgrade to Mike M.’s gloves on his next run).

Rubber EE-3 arrived from Hyperfirm/HFX with an amazing 7-10 day turnaround. Great piece, and I love the idea of something I have to work really hard to break! Need to paint and weather it.

All soft parts still need to be weathered, and I’ve been doing a great job putting off the dreaded repairs I need to make to the Jetpack thrusters.

01AC6F98-DD1F-4684-B679-DFDE01F88715.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m working that out now with some advice from Lou/DVH. I’m very “anti-hinge”, so I’m experimenting with a couple techniques to allow for an invisible seam. I’m using Lou’s fiberglass kit, so the flex isn’t quite there for the magnet technique to be effective. Will keep you posted!
Awesome! I got my kit from Animefan, and it has resin/fiberglass uppers with vacformed lowers. So, I’ll definitely be interested to see your work going forward.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back