ROTJ Paint Up, Helmet by Artakha

More progress today! This is the best I’ve felt about painting so far. Really happy with how these back panels turned out.

3924D756-EA97-432E-907F-7825F473E0BD.jpeg

788F68DC-D251-4474-BD2D-A9A39FDFD898.jpeg

8B3BB93B-5D39-4C5A-B274-2868EF13B4AE.jpeg

More progress from last night. Still needs some accents, olivegrun misting, more scratches, and a darker overspray for the upper cheeks. But all in all it’s starting to look like a Boba helmet. I have a ton of respect for everyone that does these for commissions!

Also, the red was a pain. I started with model masters British Crimson since I don’t have any floquil caboose. Way toooo red lol. So, I mixed some with a little humbrol gray 32 to darken it a bit. Then I added some humbrol 133 which added a much needed earthy tone.

39E7619D-6257-4332-A687-679A27D8859A.jpeg

1DC8580C-9664-4B97-A687-16A652B1754B.jpeg

76F1BDF5-ECBB-436D-AA76-30EED39C41A8.jpeg

E750CC9D-F279-40AB-8041-C8230C1323FA.jpeg

Looking Awesome !! The red looks good !!
Do you remember what the ratios of the other colors you added to the Crimson ? I know I have the Crimson for mine, when the time comes to paint it...

Looking Awesome !! The red looks good !!
Do you remember what the ratios of the other colors you added to the Crimson ? I know I have the Crimson for mine, when the time comes to paint it...
I don’t remember exactly because I eyeballed it. But I started with about 1.5-3 mL of the Crimson. Then added maybe .5 mL of the gray. Then started adding the brown three drops at a time stirring and stopping til it looked right. So, it was maybe 6 or 9 small drops. It looked like a muddy red brick when I was done. Then I just tested it before applying.

Do some misting of other colors over it, it'll come together better with that.
That’s the plan. I’ve been using Jayvee’s Thread as a reference. Just so many lighting difference it’s difficult to tell what gets sprayed where.

I think the ears look ok but the rest needs to be weathered up and misted or a wash to dull it up some. Doesn't have that battle worn dirty look yet, It looks to good !!
It's looking very good, you've done a great job on it !!

I think the ears look ok but the rest needs to be weathered up and misted or a wash to dull it up some. Doesn't have that battle worn dirty look yet, It looks to good !!
It's looking very good, you've done a great job on it !!

Yeah, it’s definitely looking “clean”. Just gotta figure out the best way to dirty it up. I suppose I could do a wash with water and acrylic paints.

Looks good man, I would add some scratches, there are an amazing amount on the Jedi bucket.

Lite misting will help break up that clean look and multiple washes too. I like to add thin washes and build up the layers till I’m happy, I mainly stick to earth tones with washes, never really using straight black as a wash instead I like to make a really dark brown instead. Sometimes I’ll let a wash dry off if it looks right and not too thick, otherwise I would dab it off with scrunched up paper,cloth or paper towel.. depending on what texture I’m after...

P.s good to see more Jedi’s. ;)

Looks good man, I would add some scratches, there are an amazing amount on the Jedi bucket.

Lite misting will help break up that clean look and multiple washes too. I like to add thin washes and build up the layers till I’m happy, I mainly stick to earth tones with washes, never really using straight black as a wash instead I like to make a really dark brown instead. Sometimes I’ll let a wash dry off if it looks right and not too thick, otherwise I would dab it off with scrunched up paper,cloth or paper towel.. depending on what texture I’m after...

P.s good to see more Jedi’s. ;)

Ok cool. I have some acrylics I will try that with. I used enamel for the paint job, but figure acrylics would be easy to do the wash being water based and easily cleaned if messed up. I will definitely be adding some scratches.

Yeah I see a lot of ESB and SE love, but not too many pure ROTJ’s. I really dig the Jedi set up.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back