Printed Helmet Project

Taltuu

New Hunter
Hey everyone, I just put up Video number 1 in my printed helmet project over on my YouTube channel. I've been a member of the Dented Helmet for a while, and have been admiring the awesome work you guys do. I recently got a 3D printer and knew that this was going to be the first big project I try and tackle.

Modeling the helmet has been a very frustrating, but rewarding process. I am a CAD guy by trade, but I mostly deal with mechanical models, not many organic shapes. This has been a huge learning process for me. I'm also using a software in Fusion 360, that I'm not entirely comfortable in yet. But, this project has certainly helped me really get into Fusion. I'm not going for an exact screen replica, that would be impossible for me. But, I am trying to build a pretty decent 3D model.

Here is a link to the video:

This is pretty cool. I've done some work in sketchup, but haven't really made it to this level.

You're model looks great, but one thing you may want to look at is your mandibles/red part of the face. Vertically they are more straight up and down. One thing in working with these templates I've noticed is the bottom of the face likes to stick out a little too much.

BF sides.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean and, I do appreciate it. I think I'm at a point where my model is such a mess (from a CAD perspective) that I will have to start over. But as always, the experience I have from this one, will make my next one much better. I still have to get the dent in the top as well.

I do look at this helmet as my "Practice" helmet. I've never done any of this stuff before, so this will most definitely be the "Prototype" portion of the project. Here is the progress I have made since I did that video.

upload_2017-7-24_9-50-46.png

Well, it's been a while. Printing took a long time, plus we moved to a different state since my last post. But, the parts are all printed and I have taped it together for a bit of a test. It's really hard to see stuff, because I used black filament for the most part. I think the test fit looks pretty good. I'll have a lot of work to do cleaning this up. I see a lot of sanding in my future. I'm glad I went with the .15 mm layer height for these prints. Some of the pieces took over 36 hours to print, but the quality of the prints is very good, and may save me some sanding time.

upload_2017-10-31_11-38-40.png
upload_2017-10-31_11-40-49.png
upload_2017-10-31_11-41-13.png
upload_2017-10-31_11-41-29.png
upload_2017-10-31_11-41-44.png
upload_2017-10-31_11-41-59.png
upload_2017-10-31_11-42-16.png

So Taltuu was so kind to send me the STL files to print this prototype helmet he designed. I printed it, assembled it, epoxied it, XTC coated it, glazed it and sanded it. Very few fixes and here's the process so far. What a great design. May not be 100% accurate to the screen used but it's turning out extremely well, great dimensions and it was super easy to print! I'd take this over having to build one from scratch any day. Thanks Taltuu!!

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

I'll post more tomorrow because I forgot to take the latest round of pics showing where it's all smoothed out and shaped now. It's coming along great. Probably start painting in a few days.

You're very welcome. It's been a pleasure getting to know you, and seeing what you're doing with the helmet. I'm not moving as quickly as you are, but I'm hating a lot of confidence and having fun. So thank you.

That looks great! Are you planning on doing one without a molded Borden?

Yeah, I'm going to get started on modeling a new helmet sometime soon. There are some things I certainly want to make better, I'm getting a lot of good and constructive feedback from multiple people. So, I plan to model a new helmet and and make some of the parts separate from the helmet model.

The model looks fantastic! I've been trying to find STL files for a decent looking/properly sized and proportioned helmet (Nothing 501st level, but accurate enough for my own tastes) and have been hitting a brick wall. If you plan on distributing this through thingaverse or even selling the stl, I'd be interested in it!

Keep up the great work!

The model looks fantastic! I've been trying to find STL files for a decent looking/properly sized and proportioned helmet (Nothing 501st level, but accurate enough for my own tastes) and have been hitting a brick wall. If you plan on distributing this through thingaverse or even selling the stl, I'd be interested in it!

Keep up the great work!

You might want to view my thread for some 3D models ==> RafalFett's Boba Fett 3D Projects.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back