Other Bounty Hunter Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **FINISHED**

Looks awesome! What paints did you use to weather the jet pack?

Thanks!

The weathering is my usual mix of acrylic paints - Apple Barrel brand you can find at walmart or craft stores. Always use a brown and black. I'll play around with the ratio when mixing though. I haven't actually finished weathering the pack (actually, it's half-weathered lol ) as I actually ran out of the paint, and was too lazy to get more at the time. I *may* look into adding a few different colors for the pack's weathering. I think this looks good (matches my helmet) but gotta figure it should have some more "variety"

As for the project as a whole, I mentioned somewhere I will be moving for a new job. Well, the time has finally come. I'll be moving before the end of January. I can't take a whole lot with me to virginia, but I am planning to bring my costumes and my montross components to work on. I'll have access to at least 2 workshops on my apartment's property which will be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I guess I'll update here for those who may have taken to watching this..

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I did move from south Florida to North VA/Washington DC area about a month ago this week. I was able to get all the parts of this costume up here in my car along with my necessary belongings (only the essentials!).

I've been living out of a hotel since though, but I'll be moving into my apartment by next weekend. However, those who are currently aware, the weather is kinda bad, being very cold and all. Once I get more situated with my new place as well as my now hectic work schedule, I'll determine where to pick up at again. I'm thinking of getting back into working the armor masters though as it's a big chunk of what needs to be worked on.

The helmet *did* suffer minor "damage." Nothing external, but I think it was the cold that made one of the ear cap's bolts connection to become brittle. As a result, I was holding it briefly on the ear cap's side, I heard and felt a small crack and out fell the bolt post and nut. So yea. I brought it inside my hotel. Though, the rest of my stuff is at my apartment's property, temporarily in a work-shed...which is enclosed but still subject to the temperatures. The jetpack is the only other piece I'd be afraid of leaving out there, but I removed the thruster nozzels, the beacon and stabilizer, but left the tank caps on...but I think it'll be fine since it's not moving..

Anyways..

That's what's up....

-TC

Took a lot longer than I expected but taking pics with a timer while trying to keep your armor held up with blue tape is not exactly..easy..

Just wanted to see how it all looked so far.

UUiw6Tr.jpg

Got a lot left to do...

Did something else today too. I've had this Cruzer cold cast backplate sitting around so I figured why not do something about it. I'm not entirely sure I'll really be able to use this, but I'd have to heat and widen up the lower sides that stick inward. I think that's all I'd need to do to make it work out, but the backplate will more than likely be required for 501st approval, regardless if it's visible or not

Just hit it with some 400 grit sandpaper to eliminate the gray primer coat

9aW0H9C.jpg

One good once-over with the aluminum polish..

0JZmqB0.jpg

Nice and shiny. Still need to do some edge smoothing but it's alright to polish it up anyways

-TC

I noticed some of my images were no longer appearing so I'm re-hosting them so they won't do that again...namely of my cold-cast Jetpack

pe8VZwI.jpg

5gFthAT.jpg

imxSFgu.jpg

XMWLOHF.jpg

8UfPjxt.jpg

2NLtYwy.jpg

How it looks now...half-weathered lol Gotta do the other half..

uki8SeT.jpg

Looking to get back into this. Motivation kind of fell after issues with soft parts. I began to finish weathering up my jetpack as I had left it incomplete prior to my move to DC. I have a local tailor who can re-work my leather flak vests, so that should be something to do soon. I've also decided that I need to re-dye the flak vest color to be a more Navy blue color, so I have that dye material on hand...just gotta get around to doing it.

Things have been slow prop wise since the move with the exception of a few things. Namely, my work space has been cut drastically. I did have access to a work shed on my landlord's property, but he promptly turned it into storage for one of his (many) vacation homes he sold. Looking to move out and into an actual house or town house w/ garage with the girlfriend.

It helps that there's a relatively active mando mercs group up here. Seems a lot of people are starting their own mando builds, as well as my SO. Hopefully can get more progress on this, especially once winter's over..

-TC

Revisiting this. Hoping to have something ready for Celebration Orlando in April. The girlfriend is doing Jango, so this will be a good couple's costume

My girlfriend's armor on the right which is for normal sized people. Gonna be finishing up my armor masters hopefully sooner than later and will be doing some mold making

16587015_1202769439837885_7893877903047530723_o.jpg

I've got someone to tailor my flak vest finally. Last major hurdle is the flightsuit and the cape. I'm also thinking of re-doing my arm sleeves too...

I've ordered some boots as well, which hopefully will arrive in time from the UK

-TC

Thanks guys!

I got a bit more done today. Taking a few days off so I wanted to get the ball rolling on making the other pectoral piece. This is a technique I've been wanting to try for awhile and discovered this from Bobamaker's page on how he had to create the opposite jango pectoral. I will say, maybe due to the significantly larger scale my piece is to a normal jango pec, it was seemingly more difficult than it looks. Nonetheless, I feel it worked well enough for my needs so I can't complain. While the outcome is not a smooth surface, the idea is you're mirroring the overall shape so you're not trying to make it symmetrical by sculpting it.

The one thing I will be doing differently, however, is that Daz used his resin copy as the final master. For myself, as I did with the first sintra pec, by creating a form and heating/shaping the sintra, I'll be doing the same with this piece, by reinforcing and cleaning the surface, pressing into the plastic.

The surface is funky as I had used talcum powder to thicken the resin. Unfortunately, depsite the work time stating 10 minutes, it was already starting to cure closer to 5, therefore some of the larger clumps. Was my first time doing that, so I'll just experiment next time...

XQaq5xV.jpg

KJZN6QE.jpg

QCuNxgt.jpg

Um57BVO.jpg

F6IZBbM.jpg

-TC

Little bit more work today. While doesn't look like much, trying to sculpt this was a chore. This piece will sit on the lower-center part of the belt. I used magic sculpt and just went at it. It's not perfect, but considering I suck at sculpting (anything in clay) I think it's alright. Once it cures I'll be scribing in the teeth details. Once it's done, I'll make a quick mold and cold-cast the piece. Think it'll look good once that process is done.

DSaB7nt.jpg

Additionally, I reinforced the rear of that resin copy I did yesterday. It's no longer going to flex, so I can start cleaning the top-side without fear of breaking anything. As I said, this will just serve as the form for the sintra.

9Hwaf5T.jpg

As for the other armor parts, I'm gonna reinforce the collar piece the same way as it's pretty flexible. Another thing to note though, I'm wondering if the collar may just be a bit too wide for me, but I'll consult with locals about that before proceeding forward

-TC

Despite running around most of the day, I've got this piece pretty much done, the hard part anyways. Piece is cold cast and polished. Just needs some weathering.

Placement on the belt, think it's a good size

1a7It0T.jpg

I added teeth to the sculpt and made a quick mold

g3C9JcJ.jpg

First cast cleaned up and polished!

XNQRNGR.jpg

-TC

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back