new Fett helmet

Hi,
after a few more days to think about that helmet, I figured something else that I wanted to show. I cannot fit inside that helmet and I got told by the seller that he couldn't do anything about that, BUT, it seems to me that the bottom edge of the back is really pushed inside (the front is also pushed outside) it's like if the not yet cured cast had been sitting on a table and deformed under its own weight. what do you guys think? and also does someone with a bit of experience has any idea how to properly re-deform that into the proper shape?
thanks a lot
P1020481.jpg

Attachments

• P1020481.jpg
    P1020481.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 158
It looks to me like there is deformation to the face with the mandibles pushed in, and to the rear panels with the bottom pushed in. It also looks like a deformation on the top of the dome.

Hi,
after a few more days to think about that helmet, I figured something else that I wanted to show. I cannot fit inside that helmet and I got told by the seller that he couldn't do anything about that, BUT, it seems to me that the bottom edge of the back is really pushed inside (the front is also pushed outside) it's like if the not yet cured cast had been sitting on a table and deformed under its own weight. what do you guys think? and also does someone with a bit of experience has any idea how to properly re-deform that into the proper shape?
thanks a lot
P1020481.jpg

Hi Matthieu, I've only just come across this thread and seen your posts. The helmet does look deformed, and wasn't like that when I sent it, so i'm not sure what happened in transit (I've never had anyone else with that issue). The PM you sent me when you got the helmet said you were pleased with it, and only issue was that you thought the green on the dome was too dark but also admitted you thought this prior to buying (had you asked me I could have painted your helmet with lighter weathering if you preferred). You've never contacted me to say anything about the cast been deformed, in fact when you messaged me you said it arrived in "perfect condition". I would've appreciated you contacting me if you had issues with the cast to give me a chance to help, prior to posting on a public forum. PM me and i'll sort this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be the resin, some have particularly poor heat-resistance, Smooth-Cast 65D in particular gives many people problems. Some Cali and Florida cosplayers have actually had their 65D-made costumes deform from just being out in the sunlight. Maybe got deformed from sitting in a sweltering ground shipping container, or ifyou live in a hot area eethan and left it in the sunlight. Would explain the cracked appearance of the paint on the back too, if that's not just crappy painting.

Doesn't explain some of the other issues like the cheek bumps and the rocky textured ears, but yeah, does look like the whole thing got heated up and flattened at some point.

https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/members/eethan/https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/members/eethan/

Could be the resin, some have particularly poor heat-resistance, Smooth-Cast 65D in particular gives many people problems. Some Cali and Florida cosplayers have actually had their 65D-made costumes deform from just being out in the sunlight. Maybe got deformed from sitting in a sweltering ground shipping container, or ifyou live in a hot area eethan and left it in the sunlight. Would explain the cracked appearance of the paint on the back too, if that's not just crappy painting.

Doesn't explain some of the other issues like the cheek bumps and the rocky textured ears, but yeah, does look like the whole thing got heated up and flattened at some point.

Interesting point you've raised there because the cracking on the back panels doesn't appear to be present in the pictures in the first post. The visor gap appears to be far straighter in the picture in the first post than the outward curvature in the later pictures indicating that at least some of this warping has occurred after those first pictures were taken?

I've had resin casts deform in just direct sunlight

Interesting point you've raised there because the cracking on the back panels doesn't appear to be present in the pictures in the first post. The visor gap appears to be far straighter in the picture in the first post than the outward curvature in the later pictures indicating that at least some of this warping has occurred after those first pictures were taken?

I've had resin casts deform in just direct sunlight
The helmet in the first post is from a different individual, not the helmet that eethan received.

Hi,
Yeah, my helmet had already the cracking on the paint and everything and I'm almost sure it didn't deform more since I first received it.
Razorsharp, again, i'm sorry, my intention wasn't to critisize openly your work, it was more to get intel and the point of view from the other more experienced guys since that was my first helmet.And that post actually helped quite a bit, intwenothor mentioning that the price was a strong offer and that the quality was quite good for the price really helped me put everyting in perspective. It took me some time to realize that prop collecting is really really expensive and that if you want the perfect boba helmet you have to pay a lot more than that! Your paint job is really nice for the price and it's nice that you are offering affordable helmets for the fans. I think that thread might help a bit making your future helmet maybe a bit better without changing your quantity of work or your price.
I'll try to reshape my helmet with an hairdrier gently when I get the time and see where that gets me.
thanks guys

No need to brown nose him or anything, if you received a bad product you received a bad product, and have every right to be displeased with it.

I think he just wishes you had expressed the problem directly to him earlier so he could have taken steps to make it right. Since OP's helmet from the same maker looks alright, and you say yours arrived deformed, it'd say it's almost surely an issue that occurred during shipping in some hot tractor trailer or something. If so, all he'd have to do is switch to a more heat-resistant resin like ONYX or even one of the Task-lines, and no customers would risk experiencing the problem again.

I'd say shoot him that PM.

PM already sent two days ago ;)
Yeah I hope this can help for future customers, having a more heat resistant resin, a better color scheme, more defined killstripes, that can already improve a lot the quality of the helmet for not too much changes I guess.
I know I was wrong posting the issues on the forum directly, that won't happen again. Just wanted to have good advices before contacting privately razorsharp to have good arguments. :$

Issue resolved with eethan, ageed a partial refund for the helmet which has been sent. All sorted :) I've never had any helmets arrive deformed before in the past few years i've been making them, so I'm sure this was a one off. Feedback taken on board regarding the other comments, I'm always improving my techniques so appreciate the feedback as it'll help for future helmets :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back