Skirt New Build

Sirene

New Hunter
I'd like to start by saying that this site is incredible for information. I've read it all and have soaked up everything said - I'm eternally grateful for everyone sharing their successes and more so their mistakes!

Today I cut up a double shoulder piece of 6oz leather to make the skirt. I used a tool for creating lacing, but I set the width to be the length each square will be, to make strips. I then cut one piece right side up and the next upside down (as each piece isn't exactly square). I hope this makes sense? The pattern I had said the skirt should be 27.5" long, however on me that'd be half way down my shins. Judging on the known height of Leeanna Walsman and scaled to me, the skirt should hang 24". I had just enough leather with enough to test the dyes on.

My local Tandy didn't have purple dye so I will have to mix my own. I'm glad I have plenty of scraps to test on! They also recommended water based dyes as they're more friendly to the environment.

I'm also planning on making my own lacing for the skirt using 2oz pigskin tooling/lining. I don't think I'll be able to make it all one continuous length, so I intend on using barge cement coupled with a few zig zag stitches to create longer lacing. The hide I have is approximately 5.5ft long. I should be able to make plenty of lacing.

Lastly, I bought an 80's style belt with two rows of double grommet holes from a second hand store to hang the completed skirt off. It is bright red; I'm glad the cummerbund will cover that up!

My next step is to buy a 1/4" slot hole punch (I missed this item when I was at Tandy - good thing I bought an elite membership for discounts!) and start punching holes in the 144 pieces of leather I have.

More updates soon. Thanks for reading!

I am having one heck of a time trying to find an oblong punch! I might be able to get one, but the place is a few hours away from me and they keep silly hours like 10am to 4pm M-Sat. Ugh!

Got my heavy duty hole punch today in the post. Looks like it'll do perfectly, it's 1/4" long and wide enough to take the two pieces of lacing that I'll need. Next step will be to punch 144x4 holes, then try the dying. I have enough scraps to test some mixtures out. The dye they recommended was water based and they didn't have purple, so I will have to mix my own purple to match. (red and blue ftw!)

Started the skirt: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369132897.962396.jpg

The purple they do have isn't right at all. So don't worry about them not having it. Besides, you need all those different shades. I think you've done a fabulous job! It's no easy task to make this skirt, although I suppose it's more of a patience game than true difficulty. Can't wait to see your progress on this gear!

Got a start on the vest yesterday. I have a Burda pattern that seems to be a good fit for the leather vest, with the exception of some darts on the back. I've started the vest with some old material and I plan to rip it apart and use that for the final pattern on the leather, once I have the vest looking as it should.

So I wasn't happy with the overall colour of the skirt when I put it together, so I spoke to a friend who is a leather costume expert and he suggested a watered down application of acrylic paint. After some experimentation and a few passes with a paint gun, I am much happier with the results.

Before

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370108997.308343.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370109020.136066.jpg

From the pictures I'd say that the first one looked better, but pictures can lie. And it also depends on the color of your undersuit. Those colors have to fit to get the correct overall look.

So here's the thing. The costume that has been on display at various shows and Celebrations is badly colour faded. I'm certain the one in the official pictures released by Lucas are colour touched, however I think that's the way the costume designer wanted it to look. I'm shooting along the lines of that colour scheme. Honestly the skirt looked completely wrong before I painted it.

Fading color is a natural process in Zam's leather parts. So don't worry about that.
Skirt looks good. I think it was the best piece in the whole costume to make. :)

Thank you :) I know fading is natural, but that's not the way the costume designers envisioned her in the movie. I'm going to do my best to keep the colours proper. It took me 12 hours in totato stitch that skirt together. I'm quite pleased how it turned out.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back